Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Well, the “well” has finally dried up in terms of finding Mako’s for my kid. He’s been using them for 3 years now. Can not find his current size.

Aside from VH, does anyone have advice on another skate that would be comparable, I use the term comparable lightly. 

Basicaly if you couldn’t have your Mako’s or VH, what would be the next best option for a Mako enthusiast?

Edited by Healthyscratch

Hey all,  Is there any opinion on these blade holders and steels   . I got a set coming that were on sale $10 per side  to put on a pair of Daoust 301 New old stock that someone scarfed the clear tuuks from  and installed icm blades on . They put the holders on crooked . 

37 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

Hey all,  Is there any opinion on these blade holders and steels   . I got a set coming that were on sale $10 per side  to put on a pair of Daoust 301 New old stock that someone scarfed the clear tuuks from  and installed icm blades on . They put the holders on crooked . 

They're...fine? One of my holders cracked after a few weeks blocking a shot, and I ended up switching to Tuuks.  Keep in mind they're pretty forward pitched. I believe the holder is +2 and the steel is +1, but I could be off on that. 

3 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Well, the “well” has finally dried up in terms of finding Mako’s for my kid. He’s been using them for 3 years now. Can not find his current size.

Aside from VH, does anyone have advice on another skate that would be comparable, I use the term comparable lightly. 

Basicaly if you couldn’t have your Mako’s or VH, what would be the next best option for a Mako enthusiast?

I don't think any of the retail models out now will feel anything like the Makos. With that said, you do have one piece boot options in the Jetspeed FT1, CCM Supertacks and Verbero Vortex and Cypress models. If you're thinking of spending the coin on top of the line retail models at full pop though; I'd seriously consider the VH/True route.

What size Mako would your son need? I search for Makos in my size periodically and come across others - I could let you know if I see your son's size.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I don't think any of the retail models out now will feel anything like the Makos. With that said, you do have one piece boot options in the Jetspeed FT1, CCM Supertacks and Verbero Vortex and Cypress models. If you're thinking of spending the coin on top of the line retail models at full pop though; I'd seriously consider the VH/True route.

What size Mako would your son need? I search for Makos in my size periodically and come across others - I could let you know if I see your son's size.

Thanks for the recommendations. I’m looking for 3.5 and 4 (jr size; D width), much appreciated. 

I was considering VH, but I can justify that price tag for a 11 year old. He plays at a high level and uses them 3-4 a week, but I just can’t fathom spending $800 on growing feet. 

Edited by Healthyscratch

12 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I am always looking for Mako's, i only have two pair and want to get mako 2's, ill keep my eyes peeled for your sons size too, i search kijji daily looking for makos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I’m looking for 3.5 and 4 (jr size; D width), much appreciated. 

I was considering VH, but I can justify that price tag for a 11 year old. He plays at a high level and uses them 3-4 a week, but I just can’t fathom spending $800 on growing feet. 

I found some new in the box size 4 Mako II's for $150. Sent you a PM. 

I'd have a hard time justifying spending $800 for skates for a player who is going to grow out of them in a year as well.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

At 10 years old my best advice to you is to transition him to a mid level big brand skate that will be around for a while... he will get used to it.  He's 10!!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dkmiller3356 said:

At 10 years old my best advice to you is to transition him to a mid level big brand skate that will be around for a while... he will get used to it.  He's 10!!!  

Well I got him the Mako’s for a reason. Namely the same reason they are so popular around these parts. The fit and performance of the boot are important in our eyes, or I would have gone with the token Bauer’s a long time ago. 

Whether he’s 10 or 20... doesn’t really make a difference (: 

Again, he’s been wearing Mako’s for the last 3 years and I’m just asking what, if anything is similar outside of VH. Or if there’s anything coming down the line. 

Edited by Healthyscratch
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

Well I got him the Mako’s for a reason. Namely the same reason they are so popular around these parts. The fit and performance of the boot are important in our eyes, or I would have gone with the token Bauer’s a long time ago. 

Whether he’s 10 or 20... doesn’t really make a difference (: 

Again, he’s been wearing Mako’s for the last 3 years and I’m just asking what, if anything is similar outside of VH. Or if there’s anything coming down the line. 

There is nothing comparable besides VH/TRUE. Period.

• Like 1

My kid wore Mako's from age 10-13 and just recently went to CCM FT1 and the transition was seamless and he said he actually likes the FT1's better than Makos.

• Like 2

Howdy,

So what's the deal with Mako holder rivets?  I take out the footbeds every time I skate and they still get rusty / loose all the damn time.  I've had them a little less than two years and at this point I think I've replaced all the rivets at least once... Doesn't seem like other folks talk about rivets rusting out / getting loose that fast.

Mark

22 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

So what's the deal with Mako holder rivets?  I take out the footbeds every time I skate and they still get rusty / loose all the damn time.  I've had them a little less than two years and at this point I think I've replaced all the rivets at least once... Doesn't seem like other folks talk about rivets rusting out / getting loose that fast.

Mark

Maybe you have acidic sweat? My rivets all still look great.

Its a fairly common issue. When I had my m8s converted to edge holder, it was mentioned to me that Makos have a lot of rivet issues. not too worried since I got my pairs pretty cheap. 

11 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Mark

Happens more on Mako because the innersole is carbon fiber. The rivets don’t “bite” into the material, and so they get loose. Same thing with moisture/sweat. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Happens more on Mako because the innersole is carbon fiber. The rivets don’t “bite” into the material, and so they get loose. Same thing with moisture/sweat. 

Marka,

Happened with all 4 pairs I had too.  JR let us know why almost everyone has this issue with the mako's.  This probably happens with True skates also, the architecture is similar. 

Edit - I now use Nexus 1N with a speed plate; I never take the speed plate out of the skate as it is a royal pain in the you know what and I have zero issues with rust on any rivets after 2-3 months of use with normal upside down air drying on a rack.

Edited by Haggerty

Howdy,

Thanks.  To be clear... I'm mostly just curious vs. anything else.  Getting rivets replaced at a shop isn't usually a huge problem and its cheap.

Mark

I have some retail Mako 2's and Pro Stocks that are stiffer. I'm debating if I should use the stiffer pro stocks for a roller conversion or keep them for ice. Any thoughts?

Edited by althoma1

On 09/03/2018 at 11:29 PM, Healthyscratch said:

I have 2 used pairs of 3.5D, but I'm in Singapore. It won't be worth shipping it over there - maybe you know someone going over?