Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5 Minute Major

Red Bull Stratosphere Jump (live now)

Watched it over here in Northern Ireland, the man has a massive set of plums, imagine the adrenaline rush of falling at 700+mph for 3 minutes, unreal

Watched it over here in Northern Ireland, the man has a massive set of plums, imagine the adrenaline rush of falling at 700+mph for 3 minutes, unreal

I'm not sure if you would even realize how fast you are going. At that height there is nothing to use as a reference to how fast you are moving. It might have been similar to flying in an airliner where you don't feel like you are doing 500mph. And at high altitude the air is so thin you may not feel or hear much passing you until you hit the thicker air. I would like to hear what it felt like.

The scary part is when you go into a flat spin. The video doesn't show much, but on the original record jump they had to deploy an early drag chute to prevent a flat spin that caused pilots to black out. That is why the AF did the jump.

Didn't he start a flat spin during his jump? At an early point in the video it seemed like he was tumbling/spinning but pulled himself out of it.

Just unreal that this was even attempted. I was incredibly happy to see he survived and came out unscathed. Such a leap forward in space suit technology and just overall information on what type of stress that puts on the human body. Incredible.

Didn't he start a flat spin during his jump? At an early point in the video it seemed like he was tumbling/spinning but pulled himself out of it.

Just unreal that this was even attempted. I was incredibly happy to see he survived and came out unscathed. Such a leap forward in space suit technology and just overall information on what type of stress that puts on the human body. Incredible.

Yes he did. I believe it was due to the lack of friction at that high of an altitude. If I remember correctly they said he would have no control until he was lower and there was more friction but even then he did run into some problems. It was pretty awesome to watch I was surprised how fast he dropped as soon as he stepped off the pod. That guy has some serious balls.

When Baumgartner lost control of his body during the early part of the jump, he feared going into a flat spin that would send blood away from the center of his body.

"At a certain R.P.M.," he said afterward, "there's only one way for blood to leave your body, and that's through your eyeballs. That means you're dead. That was what we feared most."