Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bolt91

Bauer 7500 Helmet Glue & Padding

Hey guys I currently have the Bauer 7500 and the common problem is the pads sliding around and/or coming off because of the glue.

I completely dis-assembled the helmet and removed the pads from the foam. I wanted to know the best way to clean the old glue off and use a different glue to put them back on.

I wish I could get a new helmet but none of the other helmets on the market right now seem to fit my head correctly. I've already had 2 concussions from a different helmet so I'm looking for something that is very protective. I know no helmet will prevent a concussion.

I tried:

Warrior Krown- too much negative space

11K- Fit was pretty good but the back adjustment dial wouldn't stay put. It kept loosening on it's own.

Re-Akt- Size medium moved around too much and the small wasn't deep enough.

E700- fits well, but I'm not 100% sold on it having the best protection.

M11 Pro- had pressure points in the back of my head.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Recently got the 7500 and as soon as I pulled it out of the box the rear/back large padding was barely hanging on by that glue. I pushed it back and then used a hair dryer for a couple minutes heating the pads thinking i fixed the issue. During the first game, the front/forehead padding was slipping upwards every time i took the helmet off and on. Finally decided to use a couple dabs of instant adhesive (permabond 102) for the two pads and haven't had a problem since....good luck. For $100, a helmet shouldn't be having these kind of problems

I've got the same head space related issues. I've been using an Easton s9 extra large for a while but the 7500 large was alot lighter and more comfortable. Btw When I added the adhesive I left the original glue on the pads

I think I'm just going to put some gorilla glue on the pads and re-apply them. Too much work to take off the old glue.

Evidently a widespread problem. My 5500, purchased about a year ago, had exact same problem. Back pad fell off and front pad sliding around. Fixed now but did not reflect well on Bauer quality.

Evidently a widespread problem. My 5500, purchased about a year ago, had exact same problem. Back pad fell off and front pad sliding around. Fixed now but did not reflect well on Bauer quality.

Liquid Nails for Small Projects works best and doesn't ruin the EPP.

This. Every work shop should have a tube. Just remeber to make sure any glue is dry before wearing the helmet. I was working in a shop a few years back when a kid came in with his helment Gorilla glued to he hair. Dad had glued it that morning and apparently some squirted out from the had and set during the game. Had to cut the hair, and yes his head looked stupid.

Yeah, but if you work in a proshop you shouldn't be offering that service; unfortunately tampering with foam/padding would void certification and set yourself up for a nice lawsuit if something were to happen.

I always used the "Well, I can't do it for you but I can tell you what you need to do it" line.

Do you know if gorilla glue will ruin the EPP?

As stated, Liquid Nails for Small Projects. Don't use GG

Yeah, but if you work in a proshop you shouldn't be offering that service; unfortunately tampering with foam/padding would void certification and set yourself up for a nice lawsuit if something were to happen.

I always used the "Well, I can't do it for you but I can tell you what you need to do it" line.

As stated, Liquid Nails for Small Projects. Don't use GG

Absolutely right, be careful readers! I normally don't tell people even what else they could do as a direct recommendation (sans disclaimer); don't even want to run the risk of being misquoted as a 'he said/she said' thing.

Thank you for all the responses! I understand the implications, etc. I picked up the gorilla glue but I'll be returning it for some liquid nails for small projects.

We never did the glueing, but i have used LN on a few of my personal projects with much success. My post was more a warning about drying time....

Liquid Nails for Small Projects works best and doesn't ruin the EPP.

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered some LN. I've been having this issue with my 7500 since I got it.

I have the same problem with my Easton S19 helmet. The pads are sliding all over the place and the glue is coming off like I have boogers in my hair. It's pretty disgusting...

Any suggestion on how to take off the glue without damaging the S19 EPP? Once I figure out how to rmove the old glue, I'll use Liquid Nails to re-attach the pads... Or I'm buying an E700!

Just remove the padding and let it sit out for a day or so. It will help dry the glue up so you can peel some of it off. Other than that, just take the LN and spread it over the existing glue. Much easier than potentially ruining the EPP.

I had the idea of freezing the padding to get the glue off but I'm not sure how it would affect the EPP. Any ideas guys?

anyone know where in vancouver lower mainland to get liquid nails? ive checked all the big name stores online and cant find anything (canadian tire, rona, homedepot) my brothers forehead pad fell off his 9900

LN worked like magic. No more sliding pads and no more sticky glue in my hair. Thanks for the help guys; and a shout out to JR for suggesting the LN!

a2928221-171-LOCTITE%20Repair%20Extreme.jpg?d=1260679138

I have used Loctite Repair Extreme and it also works great. Very easy to find.

Had problems with the side pads and the front brow pad on a 7500. Used Goof Off to get all the (very gooey) residue off of the pads and the foam liner. Then I put the Loctite only on back of the pads and pressed down firmly for a minute or two until I was sure that it was setting up and holding. The front brow pad was tending to spring open from it's curved shape. I didn't want it to lift off before the adhesive cured, so I stuffed a ton of plastic grocery bags into one bag and made a "megaball" that I compressed and shoved into the helmet like a head. As the stuffed bag expanded in the helmet, it kept pressure on the brow pad. The pads were locked down tight within a few hours, but I let it cure for a day.

Goof off is not good to use on helmets or padding

One must always be careful with adhesives, solvents, etc. when used on plastics or other chemical-based materials. Always do a test on a small area to see how the item will react. I noticed no ill affects on the 7500 pads and foam. It's worth noting that different helmets will use different materials so always do a test, or if in doubt, do not use it.

Update: After my game today I noticed glue in my hair again :(

Can anyone recommend a sort of liner that would help keep something between my head and the padding? I know the skull caps but I'm not big on those so any other suggestions would be appreciated!