Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

STEP BlackSteel

Just got my set of BlackSteel from Guillaume at STEP - well, I got it last week but I just got back home.

5C5A50E1-4B37-48EA-8F98-82E45C347BC9-1515-0000015A31059709.jpg

CA6045D2-3EF7-42CB-88E7-65B8B8E335C4-1515-0000015A35C06AF2.jpg

Initial thoughts - it's not as dark as BlackEdge.

However, looking at both products at the current moment, I'm inclined to say that it is very similar to Easton NanoGlide. NG is coated on polished steel; both steel have a purplish hue to it when looked at in a certain light. I just used the film Easton provided for honing NG on the BlackSteel on the BlackSteel hook fin and it does indeed scratch/remove the coating; therefore, it can be determined that NG is not DLC.

One thing that slightly disappointed me, but that I understand why it is so, is that the tips aren't coated; as previously stated, the bottom edge of BlackSteel is uncoated, which makes it easier for sharpening. However, I think a benefit to DLC/coated blades is that since it is hard to remove the coating using the sharpening wheel, it would maintain the tips from bad sharpeners. So, my suggestion to STEP is to continue the coat around the tips and just leave the bottom edge uncoated; if a sharpener wants to shape the tips themselves then they can crossgrind the coating and continue to shape the blade to their liking.

Thanks again to STEP for sending me this.

Here's video of the sharpening process;

First skate, albeit a short one, was a good one.

I have to get used to the additional height and heel/toe radii, however, that'll be an easy adjustment the more I skate on them.

Edges felt a bit slippery. However, it's been unseasonably cool the past week or so, not to mention that there is now a pro team in Orlando who practice on that sheet, and after speaking with the ice crew, I have to go deeper on my hollow as the pros want a hard sheet. I'm going to sharpen at 90/75 and go from there.

As stated in the first post, didn't have enough bite due to hard ice conditions. I went ahead and sharpened them at 90/75 and gave it a whirl.

Very good - glide was very good, bite as well. Still getting a little used to having more on the heels and toes, but that's just muscle memory at that point.

When I got home, went to inspect the edge. Skates felt much sharper than what they felt like when I sharpened, absolutely zero burrs.

I have skated three times since the last update, and all is still well; edges feel strong and still have plenty of bite. I am used to the profile at this point.

I'll continue to ride out the sharpening - I've completed 4 skates on it so far.

This would be my 7th skate on it, and only now does it feel like I could use a sharpening - coming from me sharpening my skates every time I skate, it's a pretty big deal.

Other than that, there hasn't been any issues with it; no nicks or rolled edges. I'll continue to push it until I can't go anymore.