Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Oggie grip

Just got a couple custom Oggie grips in the mail from Joe and Tracy. I use a pretty simple butt end, but I like the sponginess of the foam Oggie used to sell. Joe ended up making a couple different versions with different levels of firmness. I put the middle one into one of my Miken ZL sticks and hit the ice with it tonight. The tenon was a little on the small side and took two layers of tape to fit snugly into the end of the ZL, but it held up well through a full pickup game with no issues. I'll be back on the ice with it in again just a couple days.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/pics/chadd/oggie/customoggie.jpg

I love the grip and it feels perfect in my hands. I just haven't been using it much because of some tendonitis in my elbow. The Miken ZL that I have been using is just a little stiffer than my elbow seems to like. The comfort of the grip is top notch and the shape I wanted was replicated perfectly.

I have been using my Widows lately and not the Miken with the Oggie grip in it, but I decided to change that up tonight. Having missed a couple weeks due to work and not having any elbow pain, I wanted to give the ZL/Oggie another shot. During warmups I got a good feel for the stick almost immediately. I'm not sure if I was forcing it a little too much before or if the stick broke in a little or I just got used to the added flex point with the Oggie, but it was just right. I didn't try to kill the puck, probably only 50-60% with very little follow through and the puck was jumping off the blade. The Oggie still looks brand new after a number of uses, virtually no wear is visible on it at all and none on my gloves either. I'm going to pop one of my other Oggies into my backup widow and see what happens to that stick. If that works, I think I'm just going to order a couple more and put them in all of my sticks. It's a lot easier to cut and install one of these than monkeying around trying to get a Taki-mak or something like that. Especailly as they can replicate the exact knob I want and the perfect amount of sponginess to the grip itself.