Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boz

Bags bags BAGS!

The worst I ever had was a "gear" brand bag from Hockey Giant. I think the skate pocket zippers were broken before I even managed to get them closed once.

One of the local dollar stores had bound carpet remnants for sale a year or so ago. I bought a couple of them and keep one in my bag at all times.

I buy a cheap indoor/outdoor floor mat from IKEA. Cheap, thin, rubber bottom. Does the job.

Yeah I do the same. My buddy had some left over carpet tiles from a hotel job. they have a thick rubber base and are tough as nails. My dumbass needs to stop forgetting it on the floor at the rink.

I have forgotten mine at the rink 3-4 times now. :facepalm:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the bags Marcelo makes. The bag he did for me is bloody massive and damn near indestructable!

I did, one of the first posts of the thread :) From the sounds of it, he's considering halting production of bags (I hope not, they look awesome, but business is business)

He meant his hockey equipment bags, which he hasn't produced in quite some time, not his toiletry/laundry.

That is what I meant, I was replying to a photo of one of his hockey equipment bags :P

The Easton bag is terrible. The straps fall off of your shoulder when carrying it and it feels very cheaply made. Stay away.

I agree, don't' bother. The material is very tough and doesn't look a day old and I am coming up on a year with the bag.

However, as mentioned the straps do fall off you shoulder. I use M/L equipment and it just doesn't fit well. That is you can just toss stuff in there sip and go. And the stitching on the zipper is horrible, it's becoming un-stitched in several places. Inner pockets are pretty useless.

Just adding two cents here...

Laurin Z2 bags.... amazing. They're a little more expensive then a normal bag with same bells and whistles, however, they come with custom colors throughout and are made in Minnesota.

As for purely retail bags, Warrior Pro Player. I've had mine nearly 4 years now. Zero holes. I've used it on numerous vacations, its great. It truly is bad for bag sales as you're not going to be destroying it.

None.

the two bags i'm looking at getting are both at least 1000d. the reebok probag is 1690d and the warrior pro is 1000d.

Interesting; I didn't know that anyone was using 1680 Ballistic Nylon, especially since it is difficult to dye lighter colors like red, which is why you see it in either black or navy. When seen in lighter colors, it probably has the same basket/ballistic weave pattern, however, it wouldn't be a true ballistic nylon. Who's gonna test it, right? :wink:

BTW, 1680d isn't the strongest ballistic nylon available (1050D is), however, it is a very good material for bags and luggage. The now largest manufacturer of luggage, Costco, uses the original Invista/Dupont 1680D fabric on their bags. Almost 1 million air miles traveled with my bag and no problems!

I've never known Warrior to make bags from 1000D material, as their subcontractor uses a material called Tonto, which is a 600Dx300D 63T (63 threads per square inch; 34x29) polyester fabric with a heavy PVC backing. Eagle used this for years as well on their "cloth" bags. Maybe Warrior decided to start making bags out of Cordura? It is weird to me as Warrior's MO is to use tarpaulin (aka Mercury) that is FAR cheaper a fabric than the Cordura and is far stronger fabric (IMPO). This is similar to what we use, which is an 18.5oz tarpaulin.

In my opinion, having made bags out of 600D Poly, 1000D Cordura (yes, the Invista stuff), 840 + 1050 + 1680 ballistic nylon, and tarpaulin, there is nothing that is better as far as durability than the tarpaulin. It is the best bag material (not for the manufacturers) not only because of its durability, however, because it can be scrubbed and washed out with soap and water. The material is both anti-bacterial and anti-microbial.

Guess we learn something new every day huh?

yea in the military we mostly bought our own stuff because commercial stuff was better and tougher. then airsoft and call of duty created a market for tacticool mall ninjas and flooded it all with cheap soft goods from china and the cost for good stuff skyrocketed. seems like the same thing is happening here too. a decent rifle bag that wont fail you is $200 plus and like you said if you were to make a good bag it would cost us $200. on the bright side you can still pick up a custom tarpulin/nylon/canvas hockey from allot of small shops for under $100.

The bag we were looking to make at $200 is something nobody else makes. The Warrior Pro bag at less than $100 is a great deal. Nylon/canvas at any price won't be as durable.

what fabric were you goin to use?

The bag we had in mind was a dye-sublimated polyester outer laminated to a tarpaulin inner. The purpose was for those who wanted to have a custom design put all over their bags.

What do you consider duffle bag size? Some consider a 36x20x18 bag a duffle bag.

That size would be fine, but I can't really visualize those dimensions. I'm looking for something for baselayer pieces, socks and a few odds and ends.

That size would be fine, but I can't really visualize those dimensions. I'm looking for something for baselayer pieces, socks and a few odds and ends.

To go inside your hockey bag? 36x20x18 would be about the size of a typical adult hockey bag. For something smaller, try looking at coaches bags. Maybe something like (click photo for product page):

BPDB2-BK-1.jpg

OR

EBSP1-BK-1.jpg

For clothes, I use a laundry bag, like this:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/vanguard-hockey-accessories-dx-laundry-bag-jr.html

And for odds and ends, I use a toiletry bag (mine is made by Junkyard Athletic). I keep my laces, tape, mouthguard, tools, etc. in there. HIGHLY recommended!

http://www.junkyardathletic.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=75

That is a lazy bag for those who can't take their equipment out of their bags. What's better is that more times than not, they don't turn on the fan either.

1180D is a new one...LOL Judging by the pics, it looks like nylon. Just because the bag carries a high number of denier doesn't automatically make it good.

36x20x18 is the size of the equipment bag we make for pro teams and the last batch of MSH bags. Seems like you are looking for a smaller duffle. Not sure of one with the "drying and decontamination abilities" that you seek. If you say it is for base layer and socks, etc., I would just get a standard duffle, unless you are looking for custom.

What do you mean? So if I take a sample of 600D let's say, a sample of 1000D and one of this 1180D, assuming all other factors are constant, wouldn't it mean that the higher the number the better?

Gonna jump in on the bag thread becuase I've become a bit of a bag whore over the years.

I always went for pockets and organization because I'm a bit OCD. Then went to wheeled ones and I've had a ton of them. I had the Easton SYnergy, Stealth, S19, Warrior (the one with the end and side pockets), Sher-Wood and some others.

Some were better than others but essentially all, other than durability, were kind of the same concept. End pockets, side external skate pockets and maybe some other bells or whistles. After a while I got sick of the pull wheel bags - they always tippied over. I hate that!!! That brought me to the Bauer Vapor carry bag. Again, pockets but this time with a strap. Great bag and I found carrying was easier then rolling. I was hooked!!

Then I found it.... the holy grail of bags. The bag I had long lusted for.... a new York Ranger bag right from the locker room! Dubinsky's bag!!! My favorite ranger (enter weeping noises for trade here....)! I spent an obscene amount of money and bought it.

The bag is made by Easton, has internal skate pockets and thats it!!! I use two AR mesh laundry bags as organizers and the cavernous, tough, durable nylon swallows up everything else. This is it for me!!! The last bag!!!

In the end I found that simpler is easier (especially if you totally love the bag and have a weird psychotic connection to it). Lightweight, simple, big and durable. Just like me - except fo the lightweight part!!!

Kind of late to ask because I already bought, but anyone have experience with the Reebok Pro Player bag? Seems pretty sturdy but I've only had it for a week.

lpl_11_bag_black__67288_thumb.jpgGot this bag about 6 years ago and it's still going strong. The rubber corners are starting to chip but that's all. I put a piece of old green astroturf in there for the bottom so I can see since it's such a cavern

stats are:

1000 Denier Cordura nylon

Welted seams for added durability

Heavy duty 10" zippers

Reinforced bottom with vent grommets

SIZE: 32" x 20" x 18"

If you can get your hands on one, I'd recommend the 4orte Sr. Players Bag. Similar to the Eagle above, though it's made of 1200D and the upper zipper opens in a 'C' instead of straight across. I've had mine for a while and it's held up great, by far the best bag I've ever owned. 4orte supplies a lot of NHL/NBA/MLB teams....just kind of hard to find their retail stuff. If you search ebay for 'pro hockey bag' there are currently Rangers and Marlies bags out there (labeled as Eagle).

If anyone has a bag pattern in PDF or similar format, please let me know. I have a seamstress friend who is interested in trying her hand at making me a hockey bag.