Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TeamBlue96

Helmets, protection claims, price points...

I was in a pretty good inadvertent collision last night and being the smaller guy -- got the worst of it. One of those where your head smacks the ground first. Yep, headache this morning.

I've used the Bauer 4500 design since it's been out....(Cooper branded, Bauer, Nike, Nike/Bauer etc).

As you probably know, it's a real basic helmet with that simple peach 1/2" colored padding; very simple helmet. Over the years they've added a thin layer of black padding under that, too -- oh, boy!

Then there's all these new helmets that claim to protect you better and help prevent concussions and what not? With some of the price points being pretty high in comparison to the 4500 (Bauer RE-AKT at $199 as an example). Should i be skeptical?

Concussion discussion is a major part of any major contact sport these days, and despite all the talk -- all the technology, they still happen! If you think about the brain, it's like an egg. No matter what you surround the egg with -- if you shake hard enough -- you can still screw up that yolk.

After last night, i was really thinking about stepping up in the helmet department, but is it really worth it? I know there's all kinds of demo's and diagrams basically saying why you should buy XYZ helmet, but what what are actual results vs claims?

/goes to view every helmet tear down thread

First of all, fit is the number one factor in picking a helmet. If it doesn't fit properly, nothing else really matters. Second, from what I have read (and I have read a lot on this) EPP type foams protect best against direct or linear impacts, while VN (like you have now) protects better against rotational impacts. A hybrid, like the REAKT, is an attempt to get the best of both worlds by using multiple types of foams. Unfortunately, none of the manufacturers publish any data to the best of my knowledge.

At the end of the day, the best prevention for concussions is the fit of the helmet and how it disperses the impact, which for higher end helmets (and goalie masks) is their advantage. The shells (which matter more for goalies) for the high end helmets get used on the mid level stuff...then it's down to the padding. The extra foams, memory padding, adjustable fit, etc. all do a better job than just your standard thick layer of VN foam. If you get a solid fit, I would say you don't need the high end because no matter what you're taking that chance stepping out there.

Totally agree with you guys on all accounts. Fit is very imporant. I guess only time will tell on research. If there ever are results, i'm sure they'll be slightly skewed due to the fact that the 'head hunting' style of hitting is slowly being phased out (via awareness, suspension, etc). Eliminate the cause, and you won't have the effect.

I say $199 is expensive, but i guess that's cheap when you're talking about protecting your dome piece.

Have you guys noticed, in the NFL, a lot of guys are using the helmets with the blue, rippled type padding? Like a sub layer inside the helmet? Looks interesting. (Vick/Cutler/Rodgers use it) I wonder if we'll see that in hockey.

I say $199 is expensive, but i guess that's cheap when you're talking about protecting your dome piece.

Have you guys noticed, in the NFL, a lot of guys are using the helmets with the blue, rippled type padding? Like a sub layer inside the helmet? Looks interesting. (Vick/Cutler/Rodgers use it) I wonder if we'll see that in hockey.

Yeah, I'm a goalie (I skate out occassionally, play D) and I thought paying 300+ for a mask was insane...until I almost got a concussion with my 110 dollar mask. Ironically, I got a concussion with a $350 first time out with a new mask because I hadn't set the fit of it properly. I've come close to concussion with the $350 mask and am strongly considering moving up to a higher end mask for the better fibreglass/composite shell. So yeah, the cost of a helmet is small potatoes when it comes to protecting your head.

As for that blue padding...funny you mention those guys since they've all gotten concussions this season.

As for that blue padding...funny you mention those guys since they've all gotten concussions this season.

I should've mentioned that they made the switch after they all got their concussions. Rodgers made the switch his first game back, Vick the same this year. I think Cutler has been switching in and out (I don't think it matters for any of the three as their O-lines are garbage, lol).

When your head smacks the ground violently lack what happened to you the helmets first priority is to keep your skull from cracking and minimize the impact. The concussion or bad headache is more from the "brain slosh" you get from your head stopping suddenly and the brain keeps moving inside it. Some helmets will disperse the impact better than others but it's difficult to overcome the sudden stop. A good tight fit is the first priority. I good quality helmet has been impacted tested, they eaither pass or fail. Make sure to check your helmet to make sure it wasn't damaged by the impact.

I can't remember the name of the company but vick had a compression skull cap made that a few guys are wearing and now I beleive they are expanding to an actual helmet design. Seemed Like a very serious/legit price of equipment.

Local shop pushes the "hour-glass" formula for gear regarding protection for anyone who asks for gear suggestions: spend as much as you can on high-quality gear for head (helmet) and legs (skates), go mid-range on torso and shins, pants whatever fits you. Never "cheap out" on skates or helmets.

I tend to agree, e.g. the ~200 bucks for the Re-AKT might sound a lot compared to a 50$ bucket, but you use it for quite a while and it does protect your most vital organ. Sadly the Re-AKT doesn't fit my head-shape well, otherwise I'd have gotten one for myself for Christmas.

Sorry to hijack, but I thought this question would fit here. Anyone know anything about how the RE-AKT compares to the M11 in terms of overall protection? I've had several concussions and was thinking of replacing my M11 with another M11/M11 Pro, a RE-AKT, or possibly the IMS 11.0 when it comes out. Both Bauer and M11 helmets have fit me well. I'm not worried about cost, given my injury history.

I think those football helmets are similar to the cascade M11 honeycomb? Im a big fan of that one.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="JunkyardAthletic" data-cid="948555" data-time="1356038255"><p>

Break your elbow and you will be rethinking not spending decent money on elbow pads. That will be the most hurtful injury you've ever had.</p></blockquote>

I agree as well but more expensive some times dont mean better.

I can't remember the name of the company but vick had a compression skull cap made that a few guys are wearing and now I beleive they are expanding to an actual helmet design. Seemed Like a very serious/legit price of equipment.

Unequal is the brand.

I don't know about a helmet, but they (as well as EvoShield) are working on a padded cap for baseball pitchers.

http://www.unequal.com

I think it is fairly well established that properly fitted, better, more protective helmets well help, but not eliminate concussions. If you got your eggs scrambled should you get a new helmet... proabably - it's common sense. Is it worth it? That's a question of relativity. How much do you make? What's your disposable income? What type of hockey do you play? What kind of player are you? All these things factor in.

As far as skimping on other pads... anything thats cheapo can leave you unprotected... again... just a matter of relativity... I guess the "most important" of protective gear to spend on first would be helmet, elbows and shins. Then shoulders and pants. But thats just my opinion...

You know... I was thinking about mentioning the cup but I figured:

1. They gotta know about that one....

2. I'm married 22 years and well... don't use mine too much anymore....

Come on, she doesn't keep the wedding tackle locked in the drawer all the time. . .

First of all, fit is the number one factor in picking a helmet. If it doesn't fit properly, nothing else really matters. Second, from what I have read (and I have read a lot on this) EPP type foams protect best against direct or linear impacts, while VN (like you have now) protects better against rotational impacts. A hybrid, like the REAKT, is an attempt to get the best of both worlds by using multiple types of foams. Unfortunately, none of the manufacturers publish any data to the best of my knowledge.

Chadd is very correct here but one other point is that EPP is better for high impact collisions (for a faster paced game the linear impacts) but the VN such as in the new 5100 is much better for say a shinny player or someone playing rec hockey. My daughter has played the highest level and has always worn the 5100 and the 5000 before that. She had a couple times complained before I knew what they were about headaches from hits. Never had an issue with the 5100 until just recently but that could be that the foam is getting harder and in need of a new helmet.

I've never played at a high level, and just play pickup now. The impacts I've had have been exclusively non-rotational, whiplash to the ice when falling on my back.

Must be nice to be a pro. Anyone know what name of the company? The idea of a cap under the helmet in hockey seems kind of wierd. I feel as though it would compromise the fit of whatever helmet you have since it's not designed in conjunction like football helmets probably are.

Break your elbow and you will be rethinking not spending decent money on elbow pads. That will be the most hurtful injury you've ever had.

Bursa sac injuries come to mind; pretty crazy how bad that can swell up. Then it needs to get drained and all that good stuff....

Chadd is very correct here but one other point is that EPP is better for high impact collisions (for a faster paced game the linear impacts) but the VN such as in the new 5100 is much better for say a shinny player or someone playing rec hockey. My daughter has played the highest level and has always worn the 5100 and the 5000 before that. She had a couple times complained before I knew what they were about headaches from hits. Never had an issue with the 5100 until just recently but that could be that the foam is getting harder and in need of a new helmet.

I was actually looking at the 5100; i noticed the traditional foam as well as some of the blue padding behind that -- i assume that's the EPP? Good looking lid, too.

I've never played at a high level, and just play pickup now. The impacts I've had have been exclusively non-rotational, whiplash to the ice when falling on my back.

Sorry if this is a dumb question....

I see the 'non-rotatonal' term being used a lot -- what does that tehnically mean? As explained above -- the quick stop in motion kind of disrupts your gravity and the brain gets rattled ever so slightly -- does that constitute a concussion? a slight concussion?

Whenever i absorb a hit, the ones that completely change my momentum are the ones I feel afterwards (like the one in my OP). The ones where i'm just, say, colliding with someone going into the boards are the ones that have no affect afterwards.

EDIT -- i answered by own question via the video in JR's tear down thread. Thanks! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Suky0GwSgF0)

Must be nice to be a pro. Anyone know what name of the company? The idea of a cap under the helmet in hockey seems kind of wierd. I feel as though it would compromise the fit of whatever helmet you have since it's not designed in conjunction like football helmets probably are.

Scroll up; I posted the company name.

Also found this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1452332-could-this-be-the-helmet-that-saves-football?hpt=hp_t3

pretty much identical concept to the design of the RE-AKT, no?

Seems similar. They also mention the Reidell helmet that was the basis for the new E800 model Easton is rolling out.

The RE-AKT is MIPS technology; it is a collaboration between them and Bauer. MIPS isn't looking to make it, they look to license the concept to a helmet maker.