Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Bauer Nexus 1000 Skate

Foot spec - Wide forefoot, wide heel, small arch
Last skate worn - Bauer Supreme TotalONE NXG
Size - 10.5D
Length of review - since August 2012

The Bauer Nexus line debuted in 2012, replacing the Flexlite (as a third skate for Bauer) line. The direction of the line was to offer a skate that would be more traditional in terms of technology, as well as an emphasis on comfort. The Nexus 1000 line is a standalone fit; the 800 on down fit more like the Flexlite did.

Fit/Break-in -

The Nexus 1000 is built on an oversize last; a D will actually be a true-to-last EE. The boot is pretty much straight-walled; the forefoot tends to be similar to a Vapor EE (albeit with a roomier toecap) however, the boot has a deeper fit and a relaxed lacing pattern, which ends to a wider heel. The skate fit me decently in this aspect; just a tad bit wider than what I've been using in the past few years. The instep was a little bit higher as well. Skate feels extremely supple inside; harkens back to how mid-90s Supreme skates used to feel, with the tan Clarino and plush padding. I baked them once; had a little bit of issues with the right skate, which was because I was overtightening them while lacing. Once I figured out the optimal lacing, my problems were minimal.

The only glaring issue I had (and when I write these things, I try to put it in a global context; what may not work for me may work for you) was the tongue. It's a 52oz felt with a lace-bite guard. It had been years since I skated with a felt tongue, and quite frankly, I prefer a molded one nowadays. There were times in which I was fighting it; they would twist on me while I skated. I went ahead and flopped them, but since I was lacing them up fully, the break was before the metatarsal guard. I got to use them about 5 times after I did, and while it improved it slightly, it wasn't something I was fully able to solve.

Break-in process went extremely well; it has been one, if not the quickest skates for me to break-in.

8.5/10 (deducted 1 point due to tongue)

Performance -

As I stated earlier; the line was geared towards those who prefer a traditional boot and put an emphasis on comfort over performance. You don't get the added perks that the Supreme and Vapor offer in terms of their quarter packages, however, you're not exactly getting a circa 1994 boot here. Not once did I feel limited by the skate in any way. One of my main concerns going in was the stiffness - I had said that in the Initial Thoughts thread as well as the LTR - but that thought was eviscerated once I hit the ice. It was plenty supportive on the foot, as well as giving me a bit of forgiveness in the ankle area, which is always a good thing. Don't get it twisted - this is a pro-level boot.

8.75/10

Blade/Holder -

The skate comes with a LS2 holder and LS Fusion steel.

Halfway throughout the review, I picked up a Step BlackSteel project to review, which has no bearing on this review, so I'll use my standard LS2 score from previous reviews.

9/10

Weight-

The skate was not designed to be the skate for the gram-counters out there, however, it is surprisingly light; much lighter than skates in its class/spec.

8.5/10

Protection -

When I do reviews for helmets, I mention I'm not a crash-test dummy. The same concept applies for my skate protection; if I'm by my defensive zone hash mark and it's not because I'm lining up for a faceoff, something wrong has happened. I don't get in front of shots.

However, the Nexus 1000 does have a bit of padding to it; the internals consist of high-density foam with additional reinforcements. The outer quarter package is Tech Mesh, which was used on top-end non-Curv Vapors (X 7.0, X:60, XXXX, XXX, XX) so it should stand up to rigorous play.

9/10

Durability -

I haven't had any issues with anything on the skate; the boots are well-made, no stitching issues, no major gouges, and the wear properties of the Clarino liner have always been strong.

10/10

Conclusion -

All in all, it was a pleasant experience reviewing these skates. They've visually appealing, they perform well, and they fill a void in Bauer's lineup. You still see those guys out there with their older Supremes, Tacks or Grafs, and simply refuse to adapt to the technology-driven boots of today. With these, they can be with the times however still maintain the comfort level they are used to. While I like to be on the bleeding-edge of technology personally, these skates certainly didn't hold me back, and should meet your needs for a workhorse skate.

Overall - 53.75/60 = 89%

Shout-Outs -

Once again, must thank Keith Duffy, who is the Sr. Skate Product Manager at Bauer Hockey, for supplying me with a pair. As with every manufacturer, I've always had an excellent rapport with Bauer and our discussions and feedback I have provided to them has been warmly received.

Please address any questions you may have in my Initial Thoughts thread.

Also, if you want to track the progress here is the Long-Term Review on the skate. It will still be updated to reflect any change on the product.

• Like 2