Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

2013 Warrior Goal Catalogue

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/153-2013-warrior-goal-catalogue/

Chest/Arm - in one of the biggest advances in this category in quite some time, Warrior introduces the Ritual Pro C/A; this thing is nuts. On the arms, there is a hard plastic outer, which is called Shockshield; the purpose of it is to disperse puck impact in the arms as well as deflect potential rebounds, while increasing protection. Staying on the arms, the Axyflex is a hinged system which increases range of motion; however, the padding around it works in conjunction; the pad on the front bends with the arm. So when the arm's flexed, the elbow cap expands, the bicep cap tilts forward and the arm floater slides forward as well. When straight, all pads stay straight as well.

The chest height is also adjustable - it can be brought up or down. The rest of the straps can be manipulated to get your optimal fit.

Now, I have never played goal in my life, but I've put on a chest/arm unit before. The range of motion you get from this is absolutely incredible.

The Shockshield, Axyflex and adjustable straps are only available on the Ritual Pro. The adjustable chest feature does carry down to the Ritual.

Pants - new pan in the Ritual; three new features - the padding on the front of the pad is flexible, so when a goalie drops down, the plates overlap to increase range of motion as well as making sure there aren't any gaps in protection. Also, the edge of the pant on the outer side in front is notched to eliminate interference from the actual pad. Also, the belt system can be adjusted to provide more of a forward cant; there are two loops that the belt can be fed through to achieve this. These features are on both the Ritual Pro and regular Ritual.

Everything else carries over from last year, but the jocks have the Shockshield tech from the C/A in the cup.

With my Ritual LTR on mutually-agreed hiatus, I figured I'd chime in on what JR has correctly described as a major step forward in goaltending technology: fitting to celebrate at the end of the lockout!

The key thing here is what Warrior finally has a comprehensive and interactive suite of goalie equipment. Of course, I can't yet speak to how these different components actually work together, but the bar has been set, and the sky's the limit.

InGoal Magazine has only touched on the C/A so far, so I'll first spend some time with the lower-body offerings...

JOCK

While every goalie appreciates a jock's protection, there has been an almost linear trade-off between protection and mobility at the waist. More plastics and high-density foams in a larger pelvic shield, less mobility; more mobility means less of those, and thus less protection.

By designing the jock's Shockshield to 'float' down and away from the waist on adjustable elastics as the goalie bends forward, and by scalloping the top of the Shockshield and the top of the jock's inner padding, Pete Smith appears to have engineered a compromise that allows for the highest levels of mobility while keeping the protection extremely high. It might have been possible to add a few more spots of protection around the perimeter, but this looks to be a huge winner for Warrior.

Notice the waistband as well: elastic at the front, but a large, extremely wide, comfortable synthetic leather band at the back -- more like a high-end toolbelt than a traditional jock. Brilliant design choice.

Oh, and the removable liner -- genius. I currently have to throw my whole Vaughn Epic jock in the wash when I want it cleaned, and this will make a huge improvement on the longevity of this piece of gear -- to say nothing of Warrior's application of their best and brightest 'Silver Shield' material in a crucial area.

Now, of course, no jock is worth anything unless it interacts well with…

PANTS

I will admit to being far more interested in goalie pants than most guys, in part because they are, like jocks, almost invariably a compromise between protection and mobility. There are things you can do in a pair of shorts that you simply can't do in goalie pants -- or so it seems. That said, I think Warrior's on to something here, and it's a massive improvement over last year's holdover Messiah pants. The Messiah pants were nice, light, comfy, and extremely mobile, but the Ritual pants look like an enormous leap forward into very, very good company.

The biggest feature of the pants is the 'Flexplate' setup: the set of overlapping, segmented plates across the thigh, groin, and hip. While it's easy to pile padding into the thigh and hip, one of the biggest design challenges in goaltending is how to add protection to the upper anterior aspect of pants (the front of the groin) without compromising mobility. In this, Dr. Smith has clearly drawn on the three benchmark pro-issue pants of the last two decades: the CCM 620G (aka RBK Premier 1/PS1), the CHL-only Easton goalie pants, and the Reebok Premier 2 (aka PS2, which has been Reebok basic design ever since). The 620 and the Easton pants (which were designed by Michel Ferland, and updated in his MF2 goalie pants, now owned but still not marketed by Combat Sports) use what is generally called an 'accordion' design: a set of three (620) or four (Easton/MF) triangles, wedges, or rectangles of protection sewn tightly together, and which collapse as the goalie bends forward. This accordion design is not only highly mobile, but the best protection you can get: when using heavy HDPE plastics and good foams, it creates a 'bridge' from the pelvic shield of any good jock all the way to the hip-cups of the pants, completely shielding the pelvis and groin. Lefebvre's PS2 pant design improved on this by making the lower part of the accordions 'flaps' that hang down over the main thigh-pads, eliminating a final traditional gap in protection there and a few ergs of resistance in waist flexion.

On the Ritual pants, however, Dr. Smith has brought this design to its logical perfection: an accordion design that floats in front of the pelvis, rather than being sewn into the pant. This allows the accordion to offer a complete 'three-way bridge' of pelvic protection, radiating out from the jock to the thigh-pads and hip-cups. Likewise, the hip and kidney protection is an eerily intelligent combination of floating external shields and segmented internal protection. All in all, the Ritual Flexlplate system looks like a world-beat -- though much will depend on the material choices, and, of course, how they play in the real world.

The 'AxyCut' is an attempt to solve a classic butterfly issue -- pants jamming against the lateral gusset of pads -- without resorting to comically short thigh-guards, and while maintaing the NHL-spec 10" total width of each thigh. Basically, Warrior just notched out the bottom lateral (outside) corner of the thigh-pads, exactly the same way that all thigh-pads are notched at the groin (on the opposite corner, top-medial). These are indeed the very corners pants that jam against pads, but it remains to be seen how effective this will be in practise.

Internal-belt systems, as on the Ritual pants, are touchy issues. I love them, but they are technically illegal in NHL-spec play, and I've gradually moved to suspenders because of the difficulties of making an internal belt play nicely with a good goalie jock. That, of course, is where complementary design comes in. The 'Adjustable Cant' feature of the Ritual's internal belt allows not only different stances but also different physiques to be accommodated: guys with burgeoning beer-bellies will likely love the forward cant setting, while skinner guys will appreciate a pant that finally doesn't slip off them.

The fully mesh rear of the pants is a great idea -- great for airflow both in-game cooling and post-game drying, and a major improvement in flexibility -- but my favourite ancillary feature of these pants has to be the (as yet unseen) removable suspender buttons. If you don't use suspenders, you don't need them; if you do, you know how they are invariably the weak link in any pair of pants -- and if they're removable, they're replaceable. A wonderful little touch.

And no matter how nice a pair of pants may feel, they aren't much fun to play in unless they interact well with…

KNEE PADS

This is a murderously tricky piece of equipment to design. The knee-joint is one of the most flexible points on the body, apart from the knuckles (as any player-glove designer would tell you), and knee-joint design has baffled even NASA for decades. Fortunately, we're not designing actual space-suits -- just metaphorical ones.

Dr. Smith's chosen a three-piece design for the Warrior knee-pads, as opposed to the one-piece flexible shield used by Master John Brown (my preferred knees). This basic three-piece design has been commonplace in goaltending for the last decade plus: it's been used by Koho and Reebok, Itech and Bauer, Vaughn, Simmons, Passau, Stomp, and just about every other goalie company, great and small -- though some slap a massive fourth shield over the top and call it revolutionary. They all use the same basic pieces, sources from the same places, attached in basically the same way. The Warrior knees, however, have a couple of important differences.

Firstly, unlike Reebok and Bauer, Warrior has very sensibly (like Vaughn and others) done away with the 'hard ball' plastic cup on the front of the kneecap. This really should be common sense, but the illustrations in the catalogue make it clear as to why this hard ball cap, which has caused enormous problems for many goalies (and actually cut me up worse than a puck ever has), is totally superfluous. The two upper shields protect the knee and thigh from impacts; the lower piece is simply there to ensure that the knee doesn't come out from behind those shields, to hold the padding in place, and to give a little extra cushioning in case the knee slips off the knee-block of the pads.

Second, and quite subtly, the Ritual knee-pads offer a longer lower piece than most. A common problem with knee-pads and the 'closed' or fitted leg-channels on the Ritual pads and many others is that the part of the knee-pad that wraps below the knee will 'pop out' the top of the leg-channel, then jam as it tries to slide back in; this is particularly noticeable in butterfly recoveries and the VH position, and can be extremely detrimental to overall mobility. Most goalies just blow this off as 'not working' and try something else, or ditch the knee-pads altogether. By simply extending the Ritual knee-pads below the knee, down the top of the calf, Warrior has completely solved a problem that has been bedevilling goalies since Dr. Smith introduced butterfly pads with the Velocity. And, these will probably feel more like the hallowed D&R (then Daigneault & Rolland) GK10 knee-pads that for some many years were the hidden secret of the early butterfly goalies.

Finally, Warrior's 'TaperFit' design should ensure that the two massive problems with this three- and four-piece knee-pad design -- interaction with pants, and with rotation of the leg behind the pad -- are minimised, if not entirely eliminated. (FWIW, the traditional terminology of the 'rotation of pads' is an oxymoron. Watch a modern goalie's pads: by and large, they face up-ice all the time, while the goalie's legs do gymnastics behind them.) This is to say that while 'TaperFit' is really just a greater curvature of the upper two pieces than you'll find on any other version of these kneepads, it has a huge impact on performance and protection. The medial (inside) aspect of the knee-pads, which rests against the knee-block of the pads in the stance, will rotate more easily behind the pad to bring the knee-cap around the back of the pad to face down into the knee-block in the butterfly. The lateral (outside) aspect of the knee-pads, which protects the outside of the knee from impacts in the stance and VH (which can be incredibly painful and debilitating) is likewise so beautifully rounded off that as it rotates around to rest against the back of the pad in the butterfly, there should be little to no resistance or pressure against the back of the pad (which can cause the pads to tip forward in the butterfly, mistakenly called 'under-rotation' of the pads). And, of course, the tapering of the upper piece should mean that the Ritual knee-pads can slide in and out of the leg of any pair of pants with far greater ease, no matter how massive the thigh-pads may be. (NB also that there is a nice, heavy leather tab on the back of the upper shield of the knee-pads, for securing them to the pants: a thoughtful touch.

I'll follow this up with a longer post about the undisputed crown jewel of the Warrior Ritual 2012 lineup: the Smith-designed C/A (chest-and-arm).

• Like 2

Pete Smith had been hinting for a year now that he'd found, in his words, the first major step forward in C/A design since John Brown's top units hit the scene in the 1980s. That was a huge moment for goalies who had grown up with upper body protection that was largely cotton, felt, and a few bits of leather-covered plastic sewn over key spots -- and, most importantly, separate pieces for the arms and chest: hence the lingering terminology of a 'chest-and-arm' protector. Brown's major innovations were the perfection of shoulder-floater and elbow-floater designs, and the protection layered behind them, covering the gaps created by the integration of arms and chest into a single unit, and a layering of felt, thick plastics, and low-density foam that remains the gold standard (I may need need to say, 'remained until now') in protection and rebound absorbtion. John's design has reigned supreme (in various guises) for the last three decades.

There were, however, a couple of drawbacks to this design, and no-one had, until now, been able to get outside them. The first was that any increase in protection required thicker layering, and thicker layering meant more resistance at the joints: the old mobility/protection compromise. This was invariably most noticeable at the elbows -- in large part because even Brown's C/A had a recognised weakness there. The gap in the curved arm plastics behind the elbow-floaters, necessary both for mobility and sane construction, meant that a shot into the seam of the elbow-floater was going to hit the joint slowed down by little more than a few layers of nylon and open-cell foam. This gap had to also be relatively big, since at full flexion the forearm touches the bicep, and anything in between limits the range of movement.

This brings us to the single biggest innovation on the Ritual Pro C/A, and the most obvious one: the AxyFlex elbows. What's fascinating about this is that Pete Smith has been inventing and patenting foam and plastic hinges on goalie equipment since the 1990s; his thought has been going in this direction for a while. The AxyFlex elbow is really quite simple in its function, like most pieces of truly elegant and effective design. When the elbow is fully extended, the elbow-floater sits straight across the joint, a few centimetres in front of the actual elbow, suspended on its 'slider', and the hard elbow-cap (a flopping goalie's best friend!) is recessed up into the tricep area. As the elbow flexes, the elbow floater does too, just as on traditional designs -- but Smith's elbow-floater also slides outward, removing itself from the joint, as the elbow-cup hinges out with it. Thus, thoughout the movement of the elbow, there is minimal material between the forearm and bicep, and yet no gap in protection anywhere.

This looks just about perfect, to my mind. The close-up picture in the catalogue of Gustavsson (you can tell by the scraggly beard) reaching across his body demonstrates that this is a C/A designed to take full advantage of 'L-Theory': the idea that a goalie should (when possible) flip his glove over like a baseball catcher and intercept pucks anywhere inside the 'L' shape formed by running a line from his blocker shoulder down to his hip, with the bottom of the 'L' across his hips. The main thing I wonder about, at this point, are how the elbows will work in less regular situations -- puck-handling (which one demo goalie cited as a concern in the InGoal review), Hasek-rolls, recoveries from prone and seated positions, etc. -- in essence, the whole range of athleticism that falls out side 'textbook' butterfly goaltending. It looks to me like it will work beautifully, but it's hard to judge any way except first-hand.

The only other long-term concern is the durability of the joint. InGoal talks briefly about how, during Warrior's testing, the AxyFlex joint was simplified and recessed into a plastic channel on the sides of the elbow (which tends to take glancing rather than head-on impacts under usual conditions). I would go further, and point out that in the final version pictured in the catalogue, the AxyFlex 'slider' assembly looks extremely easy to repair and replace. The slider mechanism is held in place by a loop of 3mm cord and a small plastic tab -- little different, in that respect, from Smith's sliding toe-bridge on the Ritual pads and their precursors. If, by chance, someone did tag the outside of the slider assembly with a shot hard enough to break it, it would A) probably continue to function just fine, B) ultimately be replaced in a matter of a couple of minutes by anyone who can tie and untie a shoelace. It's really quite ingenious.

Just as the AxyFlex elbows are direct descendants of Smith's earlier work, the other high-profile component of the Ritual Pro C/A - the Shockshield exoskeletal plastics on the forearm and bicep -- are likewise the cunning application of tried-and-true principles. InGoal Magazine seems to think that what Warrior calls the 'trampoline liner', and what InGoal calls a 'hammock' suspension (an "inch-plus gap") behind the Shockshield exoskeleton is something unique, but anyone who has ever handled Jofa's (now Reebok's) JDP 'Joint Displacement Principle' gear, or even looked closely at a good pro shinpad, knows better. In fact, just look at the hard plastic elbow-cups on the Ritual C/A (another nice touch!): they are clearly derived from Jofa's heritage. InGoal even makes an explicit comparison between the plastic of player shin-pads and the Ritual Pro arms without realising that they're talking about the same principle. What Dr. Smith did was apply a time-tested concept in equipment design to a new location: the bicep and forearm, as opposed to the elbow and shin. It's brilliantly clever, and definitely worthy of the pending patent, but it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Also, this basic idea is part of Brown's original design. His nylon shell and liner are stitched in such a way as to create a similar sling effect behind the internal plastics; the difference is that Smith makes this a primary rather than a secondary part of the protective package.

While the catalogue makes much of the the Velcro-based adjustability of the harness and back-pad, the related adjustability of the shoulder-floaters is, to my mind, one of the most remarkable things about the Ritual Pro C/A. The Ritual Pro not only has removable Velcro 'stiffeners' to control the shape of the shoulder-floaters -- removed for a countoured fit over the clavicle, or installed for a more tall, rigid, up-by-the-ears fit -- but the entire shoulder-floater appears to be moveable and indeed removable. This is incredibly smart, since shoulder-floaters are invariably one of the earliest wear-points on a C/A, especially at the attachment points.

There are removable liners in the arms, as with the jock. This too is nothing short of a godsend. I would have preferred to see a removable and washable rear face to the entire chest and belly unit, but I'm sufficiently thrilled that I'll be able to effectively wash the interior of the arms regularly and easily.

My sole performance concern with the Ritual C/A design -- and evaluating this will have to wait until I have some shots in it -- is the rebound profile. This is likely to be a major concern for many goalies, but I want to nip hysteria in the bud.

Modern goaltending has, by and large, evolved away from the classic 'cushion-and-cover' model that was predominant up until the mid 1990s. The traditional approach was to use very soft padding, and very soft technique, to keep rebounds as close as possible so they could be easily covered up. Even with modern high-density foam leg pads, a combination of perfect timing and old technique can still drop a relatively hard shot inside three feet. The problem is that with the advent of curved sticks, the legal allowance of bigger curves, and the ultra-thin composite blades most shooters are using, three feet away from the goalie is more than most shooters need to nestle the puck up into the top of the net with even a momentary touch of the puck. Thus, modern goaltending became about rebound CONTROL, rather than pure absorbtion. The goaltending rebound-rating system (versions of which are used by every major team) empahsises this: if you can't catch the shot cleanly (L-theory) or trap it to your body (gut-trap/body-cradle), the shot should be ramped hard and high to the back glass with the stick, blocker, etc., or at least booted out of harm's way. The two worst kinds of rebounds to give up (garnering the highest ratings, typically) are midline rebounds, coming out straight off the body back toward the shooter, and weak-side rebounds in which the puck comes off the goalie into an area that leaves almost the entire net open.

InGoal's review insists that "if we are talking about a goaltender down in blocking mode, with arms extended down to the side and blind to the puck about to hit them, there is no way that doesn't produce a rebound no matter what they are wearing."

This, I'm sorry to say, is not a strong position in terms of equipment or technique. One of Mitch Korn's basic screen-shot drills is to put a mask-bag over the goalie's head, then hit him in the stomach and chest with pucks; this completely eliminates visual anticipation of impacts, and yet well-trained goalies will still demonstrate mastery in cradling or trapping pucks to the body with their gloves: only a 'softening' of the abdomen into a concave shape (largely by dropping the butt down) during the impact. The same thing can be accomplished with the arms by keeping them relaxed and ready to soften a little on impact: enough to absorb the shot while still closing the 'seal' of the arm along the body.

With a classic Brown C/A, the layering of materials (felt, plastic, low-density Plastazote foam, and open-cell foam) creates what John called a 'Shockwave' effect, with each layer soaking up a little more of the impact. In short, if you locked your arms rigidly, the puck would pop off, but some energy would still be absorbed. With the Warrior Ritual C/A, technique will be of paramount importance. It will still be possible to absorb those blind (e.g. screened) impacts, especially with the responsiveness of the mechanical elbow-joint, but you won't get any help from the materials. The flip-side of the Jofa JDP suspension design is that localised impacts (e.g. pucks) can really explode off the plastic side. Blocked shots do not come off shinpads with much energy loss.

That said, most of the time, these high-energy rebounds can be very beneficial, as many of InGoal's testimonials noted. Shots that cannot be caught in front of the body or trapped to it -- hard one-timers, quick high-velocity releases in close, etc., especially on the outside edges of the body and arms -- should ideally be angled away and high and hard as possible. In these scenarios, the propensity of a Brown-style C/A to soak energy out of any puck is actually a huge drawback, and the Ritual's exoskeleton a major plus. Get the outside of your elbow under a shot in a Brown-style C/A, and you'll probably deflect it over the net; get the Ritual's huge plastic shield on it, and you'll probably put it over the glass and out of play -- a much better result.

It's on shots 'within' the body, from the apex of the curve of the bicep and inward -- i.e. in the midline -- that I'm most interested in the Ritual C/A's behaviour. Firstly, the exterior plastics would suggest that this C/A will be more likely to give up midline rebounds if technique is less than ideal (due to fatigue, circumstance, or just weakness) -- not only off the arms, but off the big plastic sternum guard. Second, my impression is that while the Ritual C/A's arms offer exceptional flexibility and responsiveness, the belly looks to be relatively rigid. I can't yet imagine how I'd make my midsection, including the C/A, go soft and concave the way it should in a classic gut-trap. I could perform that contortion behind the C/A, but 'I get the impression that the C/A would remain more or less upright because of the long shoulder-floaters and the sternum-guard. This isn't necessarily a problem, since it's possible that the C/A would collapse back enough on impact that it would effectively accomplish the same thing, but I'm always interested in moments when goaltending technology seems (note, seems) to depart from anatomical athleticism.

My final and related note, which is no longer of relevance to me but of potential interest to others, is that the Ritual appears to be a 'non-tucking' C/A and pant combination. (Tucking, for those who care, is not like a gentleman's 'dressing', but refers to the tucking of the bottom of the C/A into the top of the pants, then securing the C/A inside the pants with tie-downs.) The wide-open front of the Ritual pants and the relatively short, rigid belly all suggest that this is a C/A meant to be worn free and loose. That's not to say that you couldn't 'tuck' the Ritual Pro C/A or use a long, tuckable C/A with the pants; you'd likely just need to use the pants on their 'straight cant' setting on the internal belt, and set the C/A to hang relatively low using the Velcro harness.

As I think my little introduction illustrates, the Ritual Pro C/A is going to be one of the most discussed pieces of equipment this year. I suspect there will be an unfortunate amount of uninformed back-talk about 'Transformers' and 'Robocop', about perceived cheating (this thing has nothing on Garth Snow's shoulder-shingles or Giguere's Conn Smythe-ridiculing monstrosity), and a variety of other nonsense ultimately driven by Golden Age fallacy. What will emerge, however, is how well this radical design works under fire in the long run.

FOLLOW-UP:

An ECHL goalie named Rob Madore (now with the Florida Everblades) has posted a really interesting review of the Ritual Pro, rightly full of praise for Eric Marvin, Warrior's pro goal rep; and here's his set of pictures, some of which I've included with relevant text below:

IMG_0005.jpg

My first impression on them was that the mobility was similar to what I got with my used unit, so off-ice I thought that this could be an advancement over anything before if they broke in as my others had in the past, though I was skeptical with the radically different construction. I also had serious doubts about the durability of the arms hinges and floaters, as well as terribly worried about the rebounds I may get off of them. [...] On Eric’s advice I loosened up the arms to allow the hinge to work more effectively and BOOM, I was sold.

IMG_0006.jpg

After getting over about a 10-15 minute period of adjustment to the larger arms, I loved the way the arms sealed to my sides in the butterfly. With the addition of the plastics, you get the maximum allowable width at every portion of the arm and the hard floaters essentially eliminate squeakers. The biggest difference though is the freedom of movement for your arm, I felt that I could get an extra inch or two when extending my elbow, as well more effortless mobility while catching. I couldn’t find a real difference in rebounds through but this was only one skate.

I placed an order for one the next day.

IMG_0007.jpg

When you see this unit in person and what I tried to show through some of these pictures, is that there are tons of options for adjustment. This is in the arms, shoulder floaters (to pull them up on your shoulders, etc…) but the ones that stood out as most useful were the clips on the sides where they wrap your body. There are about 8 different places for the clips to be attached, with the ability to move anywhere from rib height to closer to your waist. This allows you to adjust the fit of the C/A uniquely to your preference of wearing, i.e. tucked/un-tucked and prevent interference with your pants. Being an “un-tucked” guy, I moved the clips immediately up to the top two attachments, keeping the straps a bit higher on my body, but preventing the catching of the buckles or straps from catching on the lip of my pants when moving. While subtle, I see this as a major improvement over having to keep my C/A loose on my body to wear it un-tucked, as I can finally wear a C/A tighter on my torso.

IMG_0003.jpg

After 3+ months... I am still in love with the arms of the unit, these have only broken in more and I honestly can’t remember what it used to be like “feeling” shots. When I say this, I don’t mean that you don’t feel a puck hitting you, I just haven’t had a stinger or a dead arm even once so far. Rebounds on the arms haven’t been terribly different on dead on shots, some people thought (as did I at one point) the rebounds would fly off and be uncontrollable. My personal opinion on this is that the suspension of the plastic over your actual arm absorbs the impact and offsets the fact that plastic was used in its construction. The big difference though on shots off your bicep or the crease in your arm is a lack of skip-over, having the full allowable (as per Governor Whitmore) width gives you an extra .5-1” of square blocking surface per arm and the rigidity of the unit itself keeps pucks that would have rolled over or had an unpredictable deflection off your body stay in front of you. [...] The protection through the torso is on par with the best that I have used and the arms give me mobility and protection that I haven’t even come close to seeing before. The piece presents itself as big in the net (wider vs. taller, though likely this is due to how I wear it)...

[...]

- Upper Chest Stiffness: The upper chest has a few long rectangular blocks below the neckline, under the sternum pad, as opposed to the typical smaller, square blocks. This makes the unit a bit stiffer through your chest area. This isn’t necessarily a negative, as I’m still unsure of my actual feelings on this, but it is definitely different than others.
-Add an extra row of blocks on the bottom of the stomach: The unit is a bit shorter than what I am used to.

And from another guy (Tony) in Montreal who's also been testing it:

I've been testing it for a few weeks and my review echos what was just said. I would add that shots that glance off the edges of the arms do fly up and into the glass, as designed. And all the straps are velcro, instead of the stupid buckles that always come undone just as you're about to head onto the ice for warmup.

This suggests that most of my speculations about the Ritual Pro's performance are pretty close to what others have observed, but there are still a number of things that would need to be examined over the long haul.

And, just for informational purposes, an example of sizing advice from Warrior's Frank Dagneau:

Height = 6 ft.
Armspan = 73 inches finger tip to finger tip.
Armspan = 56 wrist to wrist.

I would go LARGE. XL will be too long in the arms.

Finally, it's worth noting that Eric Marvin has confirmed that custom options will NOT be available (outside of some pro-issue units, presumably) on the Ritual Pro C/A this year, but he does put it forward as a good 'chassis' for competent mod-artists (like himself) to expand on:

To answer your question, we will not be offering custom options with the release of the Ritual Pro C&A in 2013.

However, we have provided a lot of customization within this stock product so that you can get the right feel that works best for your style of play and body type.

With all this being said, I was the type of goalie that would sew pieces here and there on my gear, so if you felt adding an extra row of blocks suites you best then you could find a number of pro shops that could probably help you if you didn't want to do it yourself. Don't try it if your not confident in your sewing abilities though :wink:

• Like 2

An even further update:

A little more info on the fit, function, and features of the pants and knee-pads have trickled out from Warrior and their Montreal-based testers, chiefly "Tony":

I'm wearing the pants ATM. Fit like a glove with the c/a, making a great seal. Great mobility and the overlapping protection means you'll never feel a thing.

They'll probably offer standard colour options. I don't see a need for custom sizing. The way they've designed the pants, even the smalls will fit large sized people. The real difference between the sizes is the length of the thigh protection. The thigh protection is designed to slide in behind the pad and not get stuck on straps/knee lock. It also slides up and under the hip/groin protection if it does contact something.

[...]

The knee pads are due out the same time as the rest of the gear, April/May. They are similar to the rbk/bauer/vaughns with the rounded plastic knee protection that digs into your knee everytime you go down. To avoid that, they use a softer material that stays anchored below the knee and keeps the plastic protection in place when you b-fly. When you stand, it slides up and under the plastic protection.

This is really interesting. If it's accurate (and he usually is), this would suggest that the knee-pads are as expected -- a major refinement of a traditional, industry-standard design -- and that the Ritual pants are an even bigger departure from traditional goalie pants than first suspected. The way that the protective pieces - even the internal ones, like the anterior thigh-guard, are said to 'float' around each while staying overlapped is extremely interesting.

I will, however, admit to being a little confused as to how any pant's thigh-guard could both 'slide in behind the pad' (rather that sitting on top of it, as, for instance, the old absurdly wide flat-front, short-thigh pants did), and not come into contact with a knee-lock. The suggestion seems to be that the Ritual thigh-guards are so loose and light that they'll just sit on top of the knee-lock and shift around as needed, but given that the knee-lock has to twist at 90-degrees to the pad's rear face -- something the Ritual pads' knee-lock is explicitly design to enhance -- I don't see how it could. That isn't to say it can't, or that it will end up jamming the knee as so many pant/pad/knee-pad combinations have, only that I'm interested enough to care.

And Eric's reply to another inquiry contains some very handy info:

Any GSBB goalies get a chance to Demo the Ritual Pro Pants and Knee Pads??

Still using the Smith 6000 knee pads and curious if anyone has used the newer Rituals.....Will these items also be available in April, or sooner.....

Also, will we be able to "customize" the Ritual Pants as far a Fit and Color options..

The knee pads will be in stores, end of April/early May.

You will be able to customize the fit of the stock pants in a few ways; the internal belt and the adjustable cant. Check out the catalog link that is in this thread and it will give more detail with regards to both of these features.

As far as colors go, black is the only option.

Again, the emphasis with the Ritual pants seems to be that their sizing is about more than merely waist-size vaguely scaled to leg-length, which is how everyone has always sized hockey pants. Very, very interesting -- but it'll require some strong retailer and consumer education to drive these points home. The status quo is nothing if not concrete.

And while some may complain about the pants only coming in black, and I may understand their vanity, I have three words: "buy a shell." Seriously: I am an absolute stickler for properly coloured pants, and that's all that needs to happen for anyone's vanity to be permanently satisfied AND be able to wear whatever pants fit them best. I'd wear polka-dot pants that said "GET IT HERE" across the backside if they were protective and mobile -- and I could put a shell over them. :ph34r:

It's also more than a little unreasonable to expect goalie companies to make equipment for 1/20th of the hockey market AND demand that they make everything available at retail in all the colours of the rainbow. This is a solid compromise, and one well worth pursuing.

My only question is whether Warrior currently makes a shell that will fit and function properly on goalie pants; I honestly don't know if the Hitman and/or the Syko are the right shape, or if they come large enough to work in spite of being fitted to player pants. Not that I'd weep if I had to wear a Tackla or CCM shell over them, but I would prefer to maintain the branding, if possible, as I'm sure Warrior would.

And last but not least, I realised that there are some interesting resemblances between some of the features of the Warrior Ritual pants and an innovative but disastrously unsuccessful pant, the Koho 590 (and its lesser sibling the 490 and 470). At first glance, there are some strong similarities in the floating hip padding on the Rituals and the 590 design below. What became rapidly clear is not that Warrior decided to copy a few features of a forgotten pant, but that they learned all the important lessons from an ambitious but deeply flawed design, and made all the necessary improvements.

The chief similarity is in the design of the floating external hip-pads:

KOHO_Goal_Pant_001.jpgKOHO_Goal_Pant_002.jpg

The 590 also features a floating internal belt, though not with Warrior unique 'Adjustable Cant' feature:

KOHO_Goal_Pant_003.jpg

There, however, the similarities end.

The 590 was, by all accounts, a disastrous pant both at retail and in the pro ranks, making absolutely no headway against the CCM 620's dominance among pros, which remained unchallenged until the mature versions of the Reebok Premier Series II pants.

First, notice the major difference in the first two pictures: the anterior (front) pelvic protection. The Kohos attempt to build it into the pant like almost everyone else has always done; on the Rituals, it's floating and flexible -- as I said, like a perfected version of the CCM 620's best feature.

Then there's the fact that the external hip protection of the 590s doesn't actually overlap with the groin/pelvis coverage; on the Rituals, where the external hip shield is considerably extended, that's the whole point. This overlap not only improves protection, but allows the floating groin/pelvis package to slide up under the hip shield for complete range of motion.

The last thing I want to point out is that nature of the most significant aspect of any pant's protection, the thigh-guards, in relation to the external hip-pads. On the Koho 590 pants, the thigh-guards were enormous, cripplingly bulky, and invariably jammed up into the hip protection in just about any skating or athletic movement. Here's a rough sense of what was going on:

KOHO_Goal_Pant_006.jpg

590_4.jpg590_5.jpg

It's clear that Dr. Smith's main aim in designing the Ritual pants was to eliminate the very limitations on mobility that the 590s imposed in spite of their external hip design. I can't wait to see how they move.

Eric Marvin and the Warrior Goalie Design Team (Pete Smith, Neal Watts, and Frank Dagneau) did a Google Hangout yesterday evening with a few other folks, hosted by Total Goalie, and the video is available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx-EAD2oZ78

Some very cool shots of the Ritual gear in motion: well worth checking out over the Hockey Day in Canada weekend (or Superbowl Sunday, which I guess is also happening).

The gloves are carried over from 2012: Dr. Smith is taking his time on the gloves, which are (per his statements) on track for 2014. His gloves didn't really change much over the 'Smith Hockey' period, so I would imagine he's looking to make a pretty big leap forward.

That's what I love about this arrangement: it's giving Pete access to an enormous range of materials and expertise, but, more importantly, *time* to devote to design that he rarely had when he was running a business on top of a gear lab. Just as with his revolutionary C/A design, there are a number of conventions in glove and blocker design that have gone unchallenged and unconsidered for a very long time.

agreed - there are other people running the business - so now he just gets to devote his time into innovating

im just impatient because i wanted to upgrade my current stuff and always loved the smith glove which is different than the current warrior glove.. oh well im sure it will be great when it does eventually come out

Sign in to follow this