Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Burke Fired

Maybe he will get his old job back and the NHL can fire Colin Campbell. It will be interesting to find out why they did it.

The timing is pretty odd for firing a GM. Some rumors on Twitter have Dave Nonis taking over the GM job.

Confirmed. No surprise, there.

From what I've seen on TSN, it's being called a clash of personalities and styles with the new boss(es) at Bell/Rogers.

His last act as GM of the Leafs (or at least one of them) was watching the Marlies get beat by the Bulldogs :)

I still think his biggest screw-up was bringing in Francois Allaire. Not that I have a personal vendetta against the guy -- he's a lovely human -- I just don't think it was wise to turn over their goaltending to him, carte blanche. It was a hiring that made a big splash, but not very much sense. I could see *maybe* bringing him in as a personal coach for Giguere, given their past success, but that was success decidedly past.

Still, it's not really a firing, per se, since they're still keeping him on an advisory leash until his contract's up; they just took away all his duties and powers and gave them to Nonis.

Chip's got a good point: I really have to wonder whether Nonis is extremely in favour of getting Luongo, or dead set against it, given their history.

Chip's got a good point: I really have to wonder whether Nonis is extremely in favour of getting Luongo, or dead set against it, given their history.

We should know pretty soon

The problem i see with bringing in Allaire is that they brought in a goalie coach, but continued to have too many other people coaching/advising the goalies...at least that is how it was presented (by Allaire...sure, fair enough) when he quit.

That's exactly the problem. By his own admission, he absolutely refused to see the value of anyone else's input: their old goalie coaches, the other coaching staff, the video guys, you name it. He's not Rasputin: they're supposed to listen to their coaches, teammates, or anyone else with a good observation or suggestion, then think it over and decide for themselves.

Allaire's schtick is to say that there's only one way to play the position -- his way -- and everything and everyone else should either cooperate or get out of the way. Now, I'm saying that fairly uncharismatically, but that's the gist of it. The goalies drop, block, fill space, and absorb certain kinds of shots; if they get scored on, it's not because the system is flawed, but because the goalie didn't do it right, or because the D allowed too many high-percentage chances -- which are far more common now than they were when Allaire's goalies were at their most effective. And that's to say nothing of the equipment changes.

Telling a goalie, or anyone else, 'Just listen to me, ignore everyone else' is a recipe for an uncritical, thoughtless, and ultimately unsuccessful athlete. The really telling thing for me was watching James Reimer's emotional transformation after he started working with Allaire; not pretty, but somehow, he's remained a good kid.

But don't you have to accept that is the way Allaire wants it when you bring him in? If you aren't willing to give in to the "listen to me and only me" approach...don't hire him.

Absolutely. And that's why, ultimately, I'd hold Burke responsible for Allaire. He knew exactly what he was getting, he made the decision, and he kept telling anyone who would listen that Allaire was the best goalie coach who had ever lived right up to the day he fired him. (I'd split that award between Tretiak and Mitch Korn in Nashville, personally.)

I'm sure I'm one of very few leaf fans with this thought, but I actually liked Burke.

Like Burke but disliked his management of the team may be a more common sentiment of fans. He would be a great party guest and stands out as an interesting GM for being well opionated and willing to express those opinions.

No one will look back fondly on his tenure unless players currently under his most recent tenure produce results quickly. He will likely be measured by the Kessel trade, for which he took a somewhat measured gamble and came up against a team that dirtied their laundry in a most offensive fashion.

I like him from what I know of his public personality but hated his results, mainly his inability to change on the fly during a season, if not for trades, at least to give Marlies a-waiting a chance.

To paraphrase my wife's favourite movie not directed by Otto Preminger, it was a "technically good exit" by Allaire. :laugh:

MAD, it's not that I minded Burke, but that he made mistakes more through pig-(or more complimentarily, bull-)headedness and a weird sort of optimism than through what most would call careful consideration. Allaire was one example. And, while I buy his reasoning on the Kessel deal -- it was literally 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' thinking, plus another 2nd-rounder -- his absolute refusal to understand even the possibility that, in the case of a rebuilding team, high picks might mean more in the long-term than an NHL-ready player, was indicative of his lack of imagination. Getting Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin was genius; getting Phaneuf, whether or not Phaneuf is worth his salary, was also impressive from a certain perspective; Macarthur and Grabovski and even Bozak were pretty solid signings, and even Gustavsson, had he not had Allaire inflicted on him, might have worked out better than he did. And I really respected the way Burke treated his players: huge loyalty and compassion, which also included not BS'ing them.

I'm surpised they kept him on as a consultant

Likely just to keep him on payroll until he either found new employment or his contract ran out. I highly doubt he'll be seen or heard from again as a MLSE employee.

Likely just to keep him on payroll until he either found new employment or his contract ran out. I highly doubt he'll be seen or heard from again as a MLSE employee.

Burke is scheduled for a press conference tomorrow morning. Also here is a little more information:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1313781--brian-burke-exclusive-interview-former-maple-leafs-gm-says-he-was-stunned-by-firing

Likely just to keep him on payroll until he either found new employment or his contract ran out. I highly doubt he'll be seen or heard from again as a MLSE employee. Burke is scheduled for a press conference tomorrow morning. Also here is a little more information:http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1313781--brian-burke-exclusive-interview-former-maple-leafs-gm-says-he-was-stunned-by-firing

What I meant was that he probably won't actually DO anything in his new role, at least certainly not publicly.

TSN reported Burke was out with the board members at the Raptors' game the night before being fired. The reporter claimed they people in the box appeared to be having a good time. Odd, that the board chairman said they had been talking about letting Burke go for some time before it actually happened.