Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Manti Te'o - the dead GF who never existed

Are you really asking if he has an NFL career ahead of him? The list of players with less skill who have done much, much worse things currently in the league is too long to recite. I mean, this weekend we have Ray Lewis facing off against Donte Stallworth. Think about that, and compare it to taking advantage of a bunch of lazy journalists and a football obsessed school.

I agree, troy, it's way down the list, and the whole situation points out more of a problem for the reporting process, than for people perpetrating a hoax. I find it especially interesting that the TV "journalists" brag about their application of professional skepticism regarding Te'o's innocence, but don't seem to notice that they don't apply it equally to claims that he was involved. Let's see "check it out" applied to all "facts", not just the ones that don't hurt your ability to sensationalize a story.

As to Teo's involvement, I expect most, if not all, people involved in this to talk, so I'm content to reserve judgment for a while. I'm particularly interested in what Te'o says.

Are you really asking if he has an NFL career ahead of him? The list of players with less skill who have done much, much worse things currently in the league is too long to recite. I mean, this weekend we have Ray Lewis facing off against Donte Stallworth. Think about that, and compare it to taking advantage of a bunch of lazy journalists and a football obsessed school.

One of the guys from work posted an article about Ray's incident on my facebook page the other day. If a guy who obstructed justice and destroyed evidence in a murder trial is still playing in the NFL, this is nothing.

I'm a young buck but it just seems that he should have been more aware/mature in this situation (depending on if he was a victim or part of the hoax). Just a weird story that doesn't seem to have a logical motive.

Questions of "character" seem more prevalent since Goddell took over. Teams, historically, have looked past legalities and other off field things, but I wonder if this (assuming he was not in on a hoax) will have him seen as a person weak in judgement.

Heard an ESPN Analyst today who said the next 4 months are going to be hell on this kid. That he will basically sit down in front of 32 GM's armed with 32 psychologists to basically interiegate him. I wonder if he'll hold up through the whole process.

This whole thing is mind blowing. I can't believe Notre Dame is stupidly standing by this kid and thinks he was a victim in this. Hilarious.

A lot of stuff that has come out today really doesn't make this kid look innocent at all and he was clearly involved in this hoax.

So he got a call from his dead girlfriend on Dec 26th and on Dec 28th he tells everyone that he hates cancer and lost two grandparents and a girlfriend to it. OK!

No way this guy is in a relationship for this long and doesn't care if he has met her or not. Apparently they claim he tried to meet her and things kept getting cancelled or whatever. Is this guy retarded? No way you don't drop a girl like a bad habit after 2 or 3 things like this.

Now ND keeps saying he never met her. OK... but here's Manti in an interview saying he met her.

SI: Where did you meet her in California?

TE'O: She actually came to one of the games. She saw me at one of the games.

SI: October 15, I assume is USC?

TE'O: That was in November. But she saw me at the USC game of my sophomore year. We were still just friends, we were acquaintances.

This guy is so full of garbage. I find the ND message boards hilarious. Those twits are literally putting every scenario out there EXCEPT that he was involved in this scam. Very Penn State-ish of their fans.

EDIT - Can someone cry while they are in a coma? I'm not a doctor but that also smells like BS.

Questions of "character" seem more prevalent since Goddell took over. Teams, historically, have looked past legalities and other off field things, but I wonder if this (assuming he was not in on a hoax) will have him seen as a person weak in judgement.

I don't think any charges will be pressed against him or drugs were involved, those are the usual "character" issues. Odd? Certainly. It will probably cost him a couple bucks and make him drop a few places, but he's still going to go first round unless the teams think he's nuts.

I'm sure he'll still get a shot in the NFL but he seemed overrated in the couple of games I saw and it looked worse in the BCS Championship. He'd just be another LB at 'Bama.

He said he met her after a game in California, a friend of his cousin. Then he says he found out it was a hoax on December 6th. The AP dug through tapes and interviews and found two instances where he mentioned his dead girlfriend in public AFTER December 6th. So, yeah, he knew. It really does seem like it could be a cover up with the gay rumours that had been around as well. If that's the case, his only way out of this seems to be to come out and become the brave new face of gay athletes.

I hadn't heard those rumors. I read that he said "she saw" him at a game, but so did a stadium full of others; it doesn't mean he saw her. I haven't seen quotes from him, though there are some from his father, that he met her.

It's nice to follow a bizarre story for once, where nobody was molested, attacked, etc.

Those rumours weren't too prevalent and until this story broke, it just seemed like the usual silly "XXXX is gay" rumours that come about for no reason. This is the only one that seems to have legs since there's a non-existent girlfriend.

I'd laugh if this came out to be some meta advertising for that "Catfish" show about online romances that are built on false identity.

He said he met her after a game in California, a friend of his cousin. Then he says he found out it was a hoax on December 6th. The AP dug through tapes and interviews and found two instances where he mentioned his dead girlfriend in public AFTER December 6th. So, yeah, he knew. It really does seem like it could be a cover up with the gay rumours that had been around as well. If that's the case, his only way out of this seems to be to come out and become the brave new face of gay athletes.

I'm looking at all this and trying to figure out what the secondary gain is .Aside from trying to garner Heisman votes, this would be a plausable answer.

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-sports-guru/files/2013/01/manti-teo-shirt-624x633.jpg

Looks like Te'o's clean, just lied to his father about actually meeting the girl, because he was embarassed to be so deep in a relationship with someone he hadn't met in person. So far, it's about the story that I expected would come out. I thought that if Te'o had been part of this, there would have been indications and anecdotes from his past that he was the kind of person who could do this kind of thing. And with all the digging the media have been doing, I saw nothing to date. On the other hand, Tuiasosopo's back trail fits nicely with the scam.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8859212

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8859077/manti-teo-notre-dame-fighting-irish-denies-being-part-hoax-late-girlfriend

There may be more to this story, but I'm hoping it stands up, if only because I like to see folks who rush to judgment get embarrassed by it.

EDIT: I just realized that the video above was the initial quickie, not the longer one that was aired at 1am ET, which had more detail, and Schaap sounding very convinced by Te'o. Maybe they'll update it, or add it later.

This story is absolutely insane:

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

Does he recover from this? Does he even have an NFL career to look forward to now?

no offense but seems that you like football enough to post this. and im not even a fan of football but i know there are a ton and have been a ton of convicted felons in the NFL. So this story is a cake walk.