Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Heel Lock - Help?

There was no offense taken, I just wanted to make sure everyone understood the situation. It's not like I'm arguing with the advice being given or something. But when you have multiple people telling me I went up a size because the width was bad when that's not the case, I have to correct them. The size may be wrong, but not because I didn't like the width. Now, how do you determine the right size, if not in the way the people fitting me are saying?

Maybe they've seen this happen enough times before, because people didn't really understand what their feet were feeling, that they figure it could have happened to you. But if you're certain that it isn't possible. . .

I am 100% certain that I didn't go up a size because I didn't like the width of the skate.

I might have gone up a size because I thought it was the correct length based on what the fitter was telling me, but since I never had an issue with width during fitting, I know for a fact that poor width was not the reason I ended up in skates that were too big, if they are.

I am 100% certain that I didn't go up a size because I didn't like the width of the skate. I might have gone up a size because I thought it was the correct length based on what the fitter was telling me, but since I never had an issue with width during fitting, I know for a fact that poor width was not the reason I ended up in skates that were too big, if they are.

The fitter can only go off what you tell them. They aren't wearing the skates.

I would remember that conversation happening if it ever had :)

I agree chadd. So when they say "are your toes touching the end cap unless you bend your knees?" And I say "yes that is exactly what it's like" and they say "okay that's perfect then". I really don't know what else to tell them.

I would remember that conversation happening if it ever had :)

I agree chadd. So when they say "are your toes touching the end cap unless you bend your knees?" And I say "yes that is exactly what it's like" and they say "okay that's perfect then". I really don't know what else to tell them.

A lot of people have no idea what a properly fitting skate actually feels like. That's why I always go down a size until they are too small. There's also a matter of where you feel pressure on your toes. the easiest way is to loosen the laces as much as possible and push your foot as far forward as you can. Anything more than the width of a #2 pencil is likely too much.

There's no question that I have no idea what it should feel like, which is why I've always depended on the advice and questions from the person fitting me.

Anyway, I was just trying to clarify that I didn't size up because of a width issue. I'm sorry if that somehow sounded like I was taking offense? Things don't always come out right in text.

I'm no expert buy going by the imprint on the yellow insole, the skate appears to be too big and this could cause poor heel lock as your foot will move forward.

I could be wrong though.

If your willing to jump up in price from the $300 level to Makos, why not spend that extra money on a weekend trip to get fitted somewhere? That seems like a lot of effort and money to get fitted, but it seems like you have a lot of questions about how your foot interacts with the skates. To me, that piece of mind that you had expert help means everything. It's cliche, but $300 skates that fit great are better than $700 skates that are close but not quite great.

Forums like this can give great advice, but usually it's diagnosing a problem after the fact, rather than solving the problem in the moment. The experts on here that have shops would probably be willing to schedule a fitting.

Yeah, it's a pain in the butt, and you lose a weekend, but it sounds like you've already spent a lot of time and at least two pairs of that didn't work. Maybe it's time to cut bait and try another approach.

I'm no expert buy going by the imprint on the yellow insole, the skate appears to be too big and this could cause poor heel lock as your foot will move forward. I could be wrong though.

I suppose that's possible. It doesn't FEEL like my foot is moving forwards, only up and down, but it could be that the sensation is deceiving.

Also, start_today I agree completely. If I could find a decent fitter I'd have a lot better peace of mind. I don't know of anywhere remotely close to here though. All I have around here are hockeygiant and hockeymonkey.

I'm glad I posted the image of the superfeet insoles. I had no idea that they were too large, for reasons I mentioned earlier. Especially since the left foot is super comfortable. I'm tempted (due to how cheap these are) to try on some 8.5D (and maybe 8D) and if that works on my right, then I have the option of either having the left boot stretched, or to continue wearing the 9D on my left foot (again, because they are so comfortable).

Based on the left being so nice, I definitely think Nexus (or similar shape boot from another vendor?) is right for me - or it sure feels that way. Just a matter of dialing in a size.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. I've already ordered the socks so I might as well give those a shot before I go out and spend any MORE money :)

Based on the left being so nice, I definitely think Nexus (or similar shape boot from another vendor?) is right for me - or it sure feels that way. Just a matter of dialing in a size.

Once you are in the right size, the comfort in that model and size may change. Going too big because of comfort is a common mistake with new players. If left to their own devices most players tend to do it.

Now that you know they maybe to big. Start with the tightest fit you think you can handle like the 8 then go up. Also see if they have a Superfeet that will fit that skate. That will assist with keeping your foot aligned while fitting. You didnt have the Superfeet when you bought the skates right?

Now that you know they maybe to big. Start with the tightest fit you think you can handle like the 8 then go up. Also see if they have a Superfeet that will fit that skate. That will assist with keeping your foot aligned while fitting. You didnt have the Superfeet when you bought the skates right?

The only problem with this method is that people often still start too big. That's why I always suggest to try the next size down if the skate is comfy, even if you think it is the right size.

The only problem with this method is that people often still start too big. That's why I always suggest to try the next size down if the skate is comfy, even if you think it is the right size.

That definitely would have helped then. Like you said, most people have no idea what a proper fitting skate feels like (until they have one). I could only go by what the fitter was asking/telling me. :)

And don't forget the volume when picking a model. And I don't mean turn it to "11".

That always seemed to be an issue for me, which is why I ended up in RBK.

The combination of you not really knowing what proper fitting skates feel like, money not being an issue, and splurging on the Mako maybe you should look into getting custom fitted.

Yah I guess i forgot it wasn't me doing the fitting. I would start them at the tightest possible fit I see while measuring and assessing the foot and only go up if they say they can not feel there toes anymore. Oops...

Ah, home. Maybe ill use what I have (since its still miles better than what I was skating on before last week) until next time I'm home.

That is, if you're interested in helping me with a proper fitting :P

I do all my fittings at a store that is in my opinion the best suited around and thats Just Hockey one of the advertisers on here. If I am not available when your home I can make sure Dave or Sean have you taken care of properly!

I do all my fittings at a store that is in my opinion the best suited around and thats Just Hockey one of the advertisers on here. If I am not available when your home I can make sure Dave or Sean have you taken care of properly!

Awesome, very much appreciated. Not sure when I'll be up, but having somebody that knows what they're doing (and doesn't just want to sell me whatever like at Monkey or Giant) will go a long way.

Just read through this thread and want to say that this thread really embodies everything that is great about MSH: sincere efforts to help someone in need, patience in response to many questions, and ultimately, a positive connection made (OptimusRein's possible fitting in Toronto by Oldtrainerguy28).

Fantastic forum, really!

Just read through this thread and want to say that this thread really embodies everything that is great about MSH: sincere efforts to help someone in need, patience in response to many questions, and ultimately, a positive connection made (OptimusRein's possible fitting in Toronto by Oldtrainerguy28).

Fantastic forum, really!

Now that I know I'm going to be going to Summer Jam, and will be in Toronto, the pieces are all falling in place. I know I can make what I have work until then (they're STILL infinitely more comfortable than the Reeboks I've been skating in for the last year).

But overall, I agree!