Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Chicago Writer slams Toronto and Canada

C'mom guys-I'm talking to you Cole :smile: - tell me this clown from the Sun-Times is alone in his disdain of your pals to the north. Tell me he his seemingly apathetic approach is not entirely fuelled by a lack of fairness and a healthy dash of arrogance.

Neil Steinberg writes:

So I won’t start waxing on the generic, anodyne nature of life in Toronto. Its nondescript skyline whose only noteworthy element is a TV antenna. Its generic monuments; the Monument to Multiculturalism in front of the Fairmont Hotel comes to mind. The city also has a memorial to people killed in industrial accidents -- I kid you not. I’m not doing that, because, thanks to the Internet, it would only jab at some nice people who, as it is, already sit crouched in slush with their hands locked around their knees, gazing poutingly over the border to the south, paralyzed with envy, disdain and longing — they just wish we cared about them enough so they could have the chance to scorn us.

But we don’t and never will.

Well said, my brother journalist in the frosty North. Toronto will eventually become noticeably bigger. I think that sums up the situation. I prefer words I once told a friend considering leaving Chicago to take a job in Toronto — “Why? I’d rather be the 500th most important person in Chicago than the King of Canada.”

Full article here

Having just moved to Chicago it sounds like sour grapes to me. The fact that Toronto unseated Chicago as the 4th largest city in NA says it all.

I enjoy Chicago and in some respects it reminds me of Toronto (clean) but is no where near as multicultural as Toronto (and not even close to NYC where I previously lived).

I moved here due to my wife wanting to be closer to family and for a great job opportunity for her. I like Chicago a lot (hockey is a lot cheaper here than in NYC)-it is a unique city and the locals are secure enough where they don't constantly feel the need to compare Chicago to NYC. Only a few locals I've encountered seem desperate to point out everything that is wrong with NYC. I feel that a city secure in itself doesn't need to compare itself to other cities and should embrace it's own identity. Bottom line...it's just one guy's opinion (and hopefully not serious).

No, Scott, it's not true that Neil Steinberg is one of my pen names. And I share his sentiments in only one respect -- I don't care. Not about the Canadian article, or his article. Sadly, neither do I have time to read Toronto articles, as a busy resident of the incredibly huge Chicago metro area. I wish I had your time.

Rest assured that any insults I may have directed your way were never based on anti-Canadian prejudice, but were entirely personal, and earned by your own merits, or lack thereof.

I love the Canadian cities. The sad truth is if they were two hours south, they'd be ruined; so even trying to stir up emotions as a writer, it's a silly premise.

Regarding Toronto specifically, I always explain to my fellow Americans, "It's like New York. But without the anger....."

There are people all over the world that think the place where they grew up or choose to live is the best place in the world. And for them, it may be. You can find positives or negatives about anywhere, it's all in what you want to see.

I love the Canadian cities. The sad truth is if they were two hours south, they'd be ruined; so even trying to stir up emotions as a writer, it's a silly premise.

Regarding Toronto specifically, I always explain to my fellow Americans, "It's like New York. But without the anger....."

And like Chicago, without all the murder....

No, Scott, it's not true that Neil Steinberg is one of my pen names. And I share his sentiments in only one respect -- I don't care. Not about the Canadian article, or his article. Sadly, neither do I have time to read Toronto articles, as a busy resident of the incredibly huge Chicago metro area. I wish I had your time.

Rest assured that any insults I may have directed your way were never based on anti-Canadian prejudice, but were entirely personal, and earned by your own merits, or lack thereof.

For the record, Toronto is snobby to we folks in the outlying areas of the GTA. I love a good old Toronto bashing just as much as the next person who doesn't live in Toronto. I was a bit put off by the anti-Canadian sentiment. And, of course, living a bucolic life in the Hamilton area, I have nothing but time....time to formulate my fiendish plan, eh?

There are people all over the world that think the place where they grew up or choose to live is the best place in the world. And for them, it may be. You can find positives or negatives about anywhere, it's all in what you want to see.

Except in this case this guy is wrong :tongue: