Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RussianPlayer

Bauer APX skates - lace bite/burn after just one game

Hey guys

I switched from Bauer X60s skates to APX and used them with pro guard waxed laces.

Went and skated, felt some pressure at lace area but didnt really pay much attention. By the end of the game It felt bit weird.

So, took the socks of and holy shit, it took my skin off on both front ankle areas. It guess my sock was rubbing a lot against this toilet paper thin felt toungue.

I bought EH gel pads that you stick on the back of the tongues, but I really dont know if this be enough. I never ever had an issue like this and this is my 6th pair of skates.

I guess my only option is to change the toungues? Where would I even buy a good one..?

This sux. I attached a picture a week from the day. Burns are still not 100% healed. I was gonna skate tomorrow, but now having second thoughts about just extending the healing period.

12369428.jpg

Thank you Bauer, money well spent!

Skate is better than X60 though, but dam...I didnt expect this outcome.

If you are getting APX take this in consideration.....

Relace the skates, outside in the whole way up.That is what happens when you have a boot that is so stiff.

Relace the skates, outside in the whole way up.That is what happens when you have a boot that is so stiff.

I was already thinking about it and tried, have not skated, but did not feel much difference when applied the pressure. I guess that I have to test it when burns will go away completely.

It won't make much of a difference until your ankles have healed. As long as those areas are inflamed, they are going to hurt.

It won't make much of a difference until your ankles have healed. As long as those areas are inflamed, they are going to hurt.

True. Too sensitive...

Would you lace the top 2 eye leds from the outside too?

Thanks for feedback.

True. Too sensitive...

Would you lace the top 2 eye leds from the outside too?

Thanks for feedback.

I always lace all eyelets on my skates that way.

I found when switching from graf to supreme I didn't need wax laces. The boots are so stiff that I like the laces to adjust on their own after skating a few minutes if that makes sense. The waxed laces didn't let the skates do that I found that was causing some lace bite.

Elite Oval waxed laces have worked well for me. They've really made a difference in the fit of my One95s, though it may partly be that they're finally really broken in. But they hold very nicely, and don't loosen like the stock laces. My skates are the most comfortable they've ever been.

When I skated that first time, I didnt really notice much of a discomfort and liked the way skate felt pretty stiff, but this rubbing that has occured did screw me up... If I can find a way that it doesnt rub like that anymore, everything would be pretty good... Also, I can tell this Pro Guard waxed laces from totalhockey is junk.. I see fibers coming out just after 1 game...

I have the same problem. Although I've had mine for almost a year with zero problems and then a week ago my right skate has given me bad inflammation. I used a gel cut out I got from a trainer from my team to relieve the pressure since I had some Mens league games but it still hurt after 30 mins of skating.

i even resorted to hacking a set of tongues out of a pair of bauer 3000's at my store, slicing the stitching on the top layer of leather that goes down the middle of the tongue, and running a few laces through it..didnt help with volume but got rid of the lace bit for a bit.

Wow, that looks brutal. I have some APX pro stock skates with X60 (i think) or X7.0 tongues in them and have never had a lace bite problem. If it continues I would suggest trying to replace the tongues with the ones from your old x60's or even putting in a nice thick pair of graf tongues.

Wow. Not the worst that I've seen, but this one wins for the month of March so far!

Definitely agree with Chadd's suggestion of outside-in lacing.

Also, if you have anything taking up volume or raising up your foot in the skate (super feet or a different insole) try removing them.

You might also want to try some different laces. If you like waxed, try to find the Graf slightly waxed laces. They're still good "waxed" laces, but they aren't as "aggressive" as the wax on some of the other brands.

lol, I know picture looks like i participated in some crazy religious ritual or something...coutesy of Bauer TP thin tongue !

Like I said I installed EH lace bite gel pads and I laced from the top today and put bandates and extra padding over the burns. I survived. Felt the pressure, but I didn't make wounds worse thank god.

It's a bitch that it's healing up so slow. To be honest I probably should not have skated, but then I would have to wait at least 2 weeks for sure.

Will see what happens.

Btw it took me 3 times longer if not 4 to get laced up from the top with this waxed laces. I liked waxed laces with normal lacing though. I will experiment and will update.

Btw it took me 3 times longer if not 4 to get laced up from the top with this waxed laces. I liked waxed laces with normal lacing though. I will experiment and will update.

Yup, the waxed laces and inside-out lacing pattern adds a bit of time to the lace-up procedure. Worth it to solve a problem though.

I'm not familiar with the "EH" lace bit gel pads, but if they don't work you can consider checking out the G-Form gel pads.

There's a review of them on here somewhere with good results, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

i even resorted to hacking a set of tongues out of a pair of bauer 3000's at my store, slicing the stitching on the top layer of leather that goes down the middle of the tongue, and running a few laces through it..didnt help with volume but got rid of the lace bit for a bit.

Just to clarify, did you switch tongues or did you add them on top of the APX tongue?

Yup, the waxed laces and inside-out lacing pattern adds a bit of time to the lace-up procedure. Worth it to solve a problem though.

I'm not familiar with the "EH" lace bit gel pads, but if they don't work you can consider checking out the G-Form gel pads.

There's a review of them on here somewhere with good results, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Below is the link to those gel pads I bought;

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=ELACEPAD

What does the outside-in way of lacing provide that's different? Does it give more flex or volume?

What does the outside-in way of lacing provide that's different? Does it give more flex or volume?

It does neither. It relieves a bit of the pressure placed on the top of the foot.

To be honest, it was one of those things someone told me when I first started playing hockey (thanks Ron) that has helped relieve some issues for me, as well as other people. First, it holds the tension better than lacing normally, that's why I always used that method. I believe it may also put more area of the tongue in contact with the lace, distributing the pressure more equally, instead of in just one pressure point.