Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HelmetHead

Remove Griptac on Bauer Sticks?

I found a good price on some Bauer APX sticks lately, but they're all the Griptac (sticky coating) versions, which I hate. I know from past experience that this stuff gradually wears off the stick with use, but has anyone found a way to remove it intentionally in a quick and effective manner? I was thinking of rubbing it with mineral spirits or acetone, but I don't want to totally gunk up the stick.

I realize I could buy the cheapest Griptac stick available and experiment first before potentially destroying a $200+ stick, but just thought I'd check here first to see if someone's already (successfully) done this experiment.

Thanks!

Huh, didn't even think about adding clearcoat over it. I was focused only on the removal angle. That sounds like a good idea.

If going the sandpaper route, do you wet-sand or dry-sand?

Thanks guys...

I've never sanded a grip stick but I would definitely dry sand with an extra fine sand paper to get a smooth finish. Maybe look at auto stores where they sell extremely high grit for auto body

Clear coat would wear off, the perma solution is sand. Use a machine too, lower than 200, wet sand if possible. I shave all mine down. You dont want to be breathing in any of it.

I had a NXG that I hated the grip on and picked at it until I got a piece loose. Then I picked the rest off little by little, like one big giant scab. Took quite a while tho... And truthfully every single other suggestion on here sounds better than what I came up with.

I just did some 'work' on a Reebok Ai9, which I got in 'grip' finish 2 years ago and has remained quite 'grippy' all along. My inspiration was my son's 20K which has a grip finish ONLY on the top of the shaft and satin / smooth finish along the bottom. It's a nice set up allowing you to easily slide your bottom hand up or down the shaft when you're not locking your grip. once you close your glove hand down on the shaft, you're locked into place. I like it.

Like anything, I'm sure some would hate that set up on a shaft, but I find it useful.

I took a palm sander to it and was done in about 5 minutes. I could care less what that area of the shaft 'looks like', so I went at it pretty good and I'm happy with the results. In fact, I was so happy that I also grabbed a Bauer griptac stick that I realized I hadn't used in over a year and sanded the hell out of it. the new feel on the shaft is nice, sort of a 'toned down' grip feel, and yes, faded graphics - but I'm not too concerned about graphics at this stage of my beer league career...

Happy customizing...

I've sanded first to remove the grip and lose a few grams of weight, then applied a matte clear coat which added the grams back, so the stick is the same. My theory is the rough sanded surface will give the coat more surface area to adhere to. Just my preference.

I went through this with a Tacks recently. I did light sanding, but then sprayed over it with a clear coat, which I will get the name of later. It has lasted 6-8 months now with zero issues.

Sanding alone wasn't cutting it for me.