Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mattc555

Rebaking my Graf G5 skates

I've searched and understand the risks with baking my skates on my own. I work as an aerospace engineer, and have access to a very high quality programmable convection oven. This oven is typically used for stress relieving high strength aerospace polymers after molding, not baking cookies.

After a year of use the skate fit is not nearly as good as it used to be. I bought the skates and then moved, and the rink I frequent now wants $40 to bake them. I find this unreasonable, especially if I am going to have to rebake them in the future.

I need to know the time and temperature for baking 2011 Graf G5 skates. Is 175°F for 6 minutes correct? When the skates were first baked I was instructed to pull the laces out not up, and not to over tighten the skates. Is there any other pertinent information?

Thank you very much for your help.

Is the shop you bought them from going to charge you for a rebake? That is unreasonable.

What exactly is the discomfort? In my opinion, reheating a Graf skate after a year will not "reset" the boot and let you start over, I'd explore other avenues first. Could be a need for new laces and footbeds, or stretching.

The shop I bought them from is 1000 miles away at this point. The only shop near me wants $40 to put the skates in their oven.

I've been sitting here trying to write out exactly how the boot fit is now, and how I believe a re bake will help me, but it's too difficult for me to explain without understandable confusion. The basics are that I have access to a suitable oven, I would like to re bake the skates, and I wanted to confirm the correct time and temperature. I am not concerned with voiding any warranties and fully understand the risks involved.

What I was told by a Authorized Graf store salesperson was that Graf's could be baked over and over without any harm. I went a couple months after my original bake and purchase and had them re-baked and punched for no fee from the shop I got them from.

As an engineer with access to a convection oven, assuming you're willing to accept the risks involved, by all means bake them! I wouldn't have even hesitated if I had been you :)

Also, judging from your post count, you're new here. So welcome, fellow engineer (okay im not a real engineer but it says engineer in my title).

Thanks Optimus. I've been lurking around for a few years, but haven't had much to add to the conversation. From everything I've read, 175°F for 6 minutes should be a good starting point. I'll give it a go tomorrow and post up my results.

In the beat to crap 1970's oven at the place I rent, I rebaked (2nd time) my Graf G35's for 7 minutes @ 200 degrees F. I flipped the skates at 3.5 minutes in. Has had no ill effects that I can notice.

I'm sure you'd be fine at the time and temp you stated.

I followed the ice warehouse video on youtube. They tell you to turn off the oven once you reach the baking temperature. I baked my 2010 g5 for around 6 minutes at 200.

I followed the ice warehouse video on youtube. They tell you to turn off the oven once you reach the baking temperature. I baked my 2010 g5 for around 6 minutes at 200.

Those are instructions for when baking using a conventional oven. The OP has access to a convection oven.

Well, I bake the skates today. I didn't have any issues, and now have much more comfortable skates. Baked 6 minutes at 180°F, I left them on for a half hour before taking them off, and now they are sitting outside in the cold. Thanks the help guys!!!