Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stewie

Total Hockey stores coming to Michigan

for people in cities with total hockey stores already in them, hows the selection/pricing etc? lots of sales?

The selection at the one in Pittsburgh is impressive, much like the Monkey store in NJ

I went to two of the Total Hockey stores in St Louis a few weeks ago. Both were well stocked, very clean and nicely organized. Prices were in line with what you see on their website. Lots of big screen TV's tuned to the NHL channel. The Kirkwood store had a little lounge area near the skate sharpening counter. However, the thing that makes an LHS successful is the staff.... unfortunately in both locations I felt the store was understaffed. There was a large youth tournament in town for that weekend, probably 40+ teams and the Total Hockey we went to had 2 guys working the first day of the tournament. They were good guys, but it was impossible to get assistance as they were swamped.

Been shopping @ Total Hockey in the Chicago area for years. Great stores, they have everything well laid out. Only thing I have a problem with is there skate sharpening, have been to 4 different stores and they all sucked. Prices are reasonable and the end of the year clearance in store is as good as anything on a website.

I prefer smaller shops generally for sharpening, not because a large shop can't do a good job, but your usually just a face there. The shops are going in Troy and novi, and a third yet to be revealed location. Troy opens in just over a month it looks like. My hope is they can get a few ZL mikens in that I can get a feel for. I like having peranis here but competition usually helps all customers

Do they carry all the brands in stores? And big exclusions?

I prefer smaller shops generally for sharpening, not because a large shop can't do a good job, but your usually just a face there.

It doesn't have to be that way. Well-trained staff can be accomplished at the large store level.

According to mikenhockey.com, Total is a dealer.

My hope is they can get a few ZL mikens in that I can get a feel for.

I've had good luck with sharpenings at the Northbrook and Glenview IL stores. I haven't seen any Miken sticks there.

Good luck on the Mikens, I bought my Z9 @ TH and the selection was sparse to say the least. They were closing them out for 50% off and they were going fast. Fyi if you find the sharpening at your TH to be good, they have a platinum reward membership that gets free sharps every Tuesday and a $50 gift reward. First purchase is 10% so if you go big (skates+stick cost me $400, so my platinum membership was $10).

I got that card the first time there, a while back, and bought an ST on sale. Platinum now is $39.99 with $60 in rewards. I don't think it was that much when I got my card.

EDIT: I checked, looked like it was that much.

I got that card the first time there, a while back, and bought an ST on sale. Platinum now is $39.99 with $60 in rewards. I don't think it was that much when I got my card.

EDIT: I checked, looked like it was that much.

The card is a must on your first purchase. It's free money if you ever plan on buying anything ever again. I only bought the gold one then went back and upgraded for the free bonus. My Miken was $99.99-30-10(hockey green, old ultra lite in my garage)

I've had good luck with sharpenings at the Northbrook and Glenview IL stores. I haven't seen any Miken sticks there.

I bought my Razor Z9 @ the Glenview location. Had a very limited selection and I had to ask the kid behind the sharpener where they were. I bought it in February.

I've enjoyed the one in Exton, PA. Nice to have an in-person experience besides pro shops. I haven't bought much from there but I've been able to find everything I needed except for the Elite Hockey soakers ha. The customer service has been a non-issue for me. It will be interesting to see how they do though with the # of hockey teams decreasing in the Del. Val.

I've enjoyed the one in Exton, PA. Nice to have an in-person experience besides pro shops. I haven't bought much from there but I've been able to find everything I needed except for the Elite Hockey soakers ha. The customer service has been a non-issue for me. It will be interesting to see how they do though with the # of hockey teams decreasing in the Del. Val.

I haven't made the trip to the one in Exton yet, but I know a few guys on my team will be doing so to try on skates. Unfortunately, the selection here in Harrisburg is usually limited to three or four models of Bauer skates.

From what I have seen it's one of the best hockey retail shops in the Pittsburgh area. I haven't been to one of the Pure Hockey's they opened up here yet.

yeah, but around here it seems all the bigger shops have been hit or miss on sharpening. what i primarily meant was at the bigger shops, you generally mean less to them as a customer. that said i am not going to sacrifice selection. and yes total is a dealer, have gotten all my mikens from them, but in terms of in store product, it seems like it might be kinda rare, as most are saying the Z9 is, let alone the ZL. I guess ill just have to wait and check it out, they will probably have a kind of sweet grand opening sale =)

It doesn't have to be that way. Well-trained staff can be accomplished at the large store level.

According to mikenhockey.com, Total is a dealer.

now that the cats outta the bag, maybe you can hint at wether or not we will see some good grand opening deals =) Is this location going to be a standalone, or are you taking over the retail space inside troy sports center? -nevermind that last part, just googled the address, looks like you will be in the area of REI

Been shopping @ Total Hockey in the Chicago area for years. Great stores, they have everything well laid out. Only thing I have a problem with is there skate sharpening, have been to 4 different stores and they all sucked. Prices are reasonable and the end of the year clearance in store is as good as anything on a website.

This times 10000000. Their sharpenings are horrible. I only go to TH if I know what I want/need.