Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nikkatnight

Nicks in skate blades after sharpening

Hi all.

Newish player here.

I just got my skates sharpened by a reputable shop in town. About 4 hours of skating later there are small nicks on the blades, mostly on the outside edge of the left skate. About 2 months ago I had a huge chip in my skate blade that another shop in town fixed. I'm wondering if these chips and nicks could mean it's time for new steel? They're Reebok Pump 4Ks if that means anything.

Also, how can I get the nicks out without having to take them in for another sharpening?

Thanks so much

Are they nicks or pits? If they are nicks double check where you are walking, a dirty mat can lead to a lot of that.

You can't get them out without sharpening.

Small nicks and chips do not need to be removed and really shouldn't be removed, all that does is waste steel. You can have 50 of them on a runner and they do not effect skating at all unless you have a large concentration of them all in the same area on a critical part of the blade. If you have a deep nick or chip, just run a honing stone flat along the blade to remove any jagged pieces that might be sticking out. Run a cotton cloth over the blade, if the cloth doesn't catch on the blade, you'll be OK.

Sometimes when blades are overheated by poor sharpeners, this can weaken the steel and cause pitting and chips. Sometimes, steel is of poor quality it chips easy. CHips will eventually work their way out after several sharpenings, but no need to have someone grind them out.

It's most likely just from the blade coming into contact with various debris on the ice and around the rink. The quality of steel will play a part as well. Also, did you notice any burn marks on your blades after sharpening?

Small nicks and chips do not need to be removed and really shouldn't be removed, all that does is waste steel. You can have 50 of them on a runner and they do not effect skating at all unless you have a large concentration of them all in the same area on a critical part of the blade. If you have a deep nick or chip, just run a honing stone flat along the blade to remove any jagged pieces that might be sticking out. Run a cotton cloth over the blade, if the cloth doesn't catch on the blade, you'll be OK.

Sometimes when blades are overheated by poor sharpeners, this can weaken the steel and cause pitting and chips. Sometimes, steel is of poor quality it chips easy. CHips will eventually work their way out after several sharpenings, but no need to have someone grind them out.

That is very helpful!! Thank you!

If you have a deep nick or chip, just run a honing stone flat along the blade to remove any jagged pieces that might be sticking out.

Make sure it's on the side of the blade not the bottom that has the edge.

http://youtu.be/zaQdmIyOZA4