Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Reebok 20k Shoulder Pads

Package showed up Friday, I took them directly to the rink. My first initial thoughts were, "Wow, these are lighter than my RS" and "These feel just like my old Jofa's"

Putting my thoughts together for a more in depth analysis of these, will update with more useful info shortly!

IMG_1038_zpsc627e028.jpg

Initial Impressions;

A very light pad, sternal pad is firm but not overly stiff. The pads come in at 995 grams, slightly lighter than a retail Mako shoulder. The shoulder caps are very streamlined and sit low. They are a pliable foam with a solid exterior covering. The foam inner is exposed under the cap and wrapped with mesh fabric. I had previously been wearing retail RS in size medium. Adjustments are a simple 2 strap in front system, with removable front and back padding extension. Bicep guards are adjustable, and anchored into the shoulder cap. The inside of the pad has very nice mesh venting, and should keep pretty cool on the ice.

On Ice Thoughts;

These pads arrived just as I was leaving for pick-up, so they got a field promotion immediately in to service. The initial fit seemed tight, and I thought the shoulder caps were going to be a hinderance, however after putting a jersey on, everything stays nicely in place. They pads are noticeably light weight, and cover all areas well. I am 5-9 180, and generally take a medium in retail pads. I immediately removed the extra padding, as these combined with 520ECHL's cover all areas well. I had ZERO issues with these pads, the greatest compliment I can give them is that I switched from RS and never missed a beat, these require no break in or adjustment, and are very user friendly. I had no issues on ice with the shoulder caps binding up around my neck or anything.

After 12 or so sessions, these are still rocking, I love them. I am playing around with the adjustable/removable bicep padding, as I've retired my JoFa elbows for a new pair of 20K. I have no issues to report with fit, form, or function. The pads seem exceptionally well built and stitched. Player to player contact, as well as incidental contact to the glass is excellent, and a few shots blocked with the sternal pad and shoulder/bicep left me no worse for ware. Any player looking to elevate to pro level protection should give these a long look. The price is comparable to most high end shoulders. Aesthetically these pads also exceed expectations. A clean White/Silver/Grey color way with Reebok Green highlights.

Im keeping my eye on two areas for possible future issues, and included photos. One is the anchor for the bicep pad, another the back padding is stitched to the neck, it seems solid but is not very wide. No issues so far but I'll keep checking.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions people have.

IMG_1072_zpsa8cc1ccd.jpg

IMG_1073_zps5e2a5511.jpg

After a good solid month of use with these, I have a pretty good impression of the pads and how they function.

I would love to wow you with highly technical dissection of these, but bottom line is these are just plain awesome! The fit is stellar, they are very light, and as mentioned in my initial impressions, the break in time was ZERO. Body contact is no issue with these, as they protect all the necessary areas very well. I would definitely suggest trying these on before purchase, as I went with the Medium and am happy with the fit, but some players my size might find the shoulder caps a bit of a hang up with helmet/cage and might benefit from a larger size.

The construction of these pads show high quality, I can see no areas of stitches running or seams separating. I let these dry after every session, and give them a good ZEP spray, and smell is no issue. I did catch one shot in the side axillary and towards my back, however this is a common area for all shoulder pads to skimp on padding, and the resulting bruise would be typical of similar incident in any high end shoulder pad. The light weight of these pads makes them go largely unnoticed on the ice, however I am confident they protect well, as I am able to give or absorb contact, and immediately return to they play. These stay in place very well throughout play and contact, and function well when paired with my 20K elbow pads, even as I left the double bicep protector pads intact. Shoulder caps are streamlined and protect down into the clavicle and scapula well.

I've received a few PM's regarding form, fit and function, and I'm happy to answer any questions members have. Sorry I dont have more technical diagnosis' of these, but they just rock.

Pros;

Light Weight

Comfort

Protection

Adaptability, I removed the belly and tailbone pad, but they can be left in place for a taller guy.

Price, I was more impressed by these overall than I was in a visual side by side comparison of CL's at $40 more expensive.

Cons (of which there are very few)

Protection, someone who buys these for very light contact use might find them to be a bit overkill

Fit, not a con per se, but a player who doesn't like shoulder caps near their neck area might want to try on two different sizes of these before purchase.

Long Overdue Update;

I've used these pads regularly for a solid 9 months, and they are just plain fantastic. I have ZERO issues with fit or durability. There is some discoloration from use and sweat, but well within the range of normal. I can't say enough good things about these. Thanks again Reebok for letting me try these.

Any forum member looking for above average protection should give these a serious look. An excellent quality pad, fair pricing, and far more Pro's than Con's.