Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Reebok 20K Pants

I’ll start off with my gratitude to MSH and Reebok Hockey for the giving me the opportunity to review the 20K Pro Pant.

070js.jpg

Background:

I have been playing for many years and over the past decade have upgraded most of my protective equipment to top end as protection has been my main concern often over weight. I have found that manufacturers today have products offering great protection without hampering mobility. I have no allegiance to any one manufacturer, currently using products from Bauer, CCM, Easton, Reebok, and Warrior.

Demographics:

Older male still playing 3 or more times a week in leagues that are very competitive and loaded with skilled players.

Height – 5’9”

Weight – 180 pounds

Pants previously worn are:

Warrior Franchise

Tackla 5000X

Bauer Supreme 8000

CCM 520

20K Pro Pant

The 20K pant hasn’t changed much over the past few years. My initial impression is that it fits similar for me to the 5000X. The 20K pant is slightly lighter than the Franchise pant and has thigh pads that are beefier, yet more contoured for a one-piece pad. Has zippered legs with good velcro tabs that have pleated material that when unzipped allow for the legs to really open up. This is a feature that I have never used despite having big thighs from years of running and skating.

Excellent hip protection

073opk.jpg

Has the zipper beneath the belt that allows for the length to be increased an additional inch.

074jp.jpg

I will get my first skate in them tomorrow night. Trying them on they seem a little stiff, but not at all bulky. Stretch zones in the legs and crotch allow for unrestricted movement. More to follow.

Was able to record my first skate in the pants. While any new piece of equipment has some stiffness to it when new and not broken in, these pants did not seem to be as stiff as some of my previous hockey pants. I was certainly aware that I was wearing new pants in the locker room and during warm-ups, but after my first couple of shifts that was no longer the case. The stretch zones within the pant allow for unrestricted movement. Pants fit a little snugger and closer to the body than my Franchise’s. The only thing I did notice every now and then was the floating spine protector up against my lower back. Ventilation was on par with previous pants worn and did not seem to be hot.

Some nice touches with the 20K include having the Reebok word mark on the left leg embroidered. The thigh pad on the right leg can be easily removed to make it easier to add a team logo.

dsc0829of.jpg

The Reebok on the hips has embroidered stitched on lettering, which is nicer than the screening that many manufacturers do.

dsc0830gj.jpg

Picture of the thigh pads. Single piece and extremely protective.

dsc0832h.jpg

dsc0833n.jpg

Here is better look at the detail of the zippered legs

dsc0834c.jpg

And velcro closures

dsc0835v.jpg

I did not take any shots of the pants but did windup in pretty good collision where I found myself landing hard on my backside. Thankfully the butt padding in this pant is substantial and certainly saved be from at the least a good bruise if not worse.

dsc0831t.jpg

My plan is to get a couple of weeks in of using the 20K pant to get them broken in and update how they are performing.

I now have a good month of playing while wearing the Reebok 20K pant.

What I like about the pants are:

1. Weight – very light pant considering they offer a decent level of protection for a retail pant.
  2. Protection – very good hip, kidney, and thigh protection. Not as protective as some of the 520 pro pants I have worn in the past, but more than adequate.
  3. Mobility – stretch zones in the pant allow for full strides and freedom while skating.
  4. Zippers – for those that put their skates on before their pants these are nice. I personally believe that all pants should have this feature.

What I am not fond of is the spine protector. The design has 2 short, stretch straps that are attached to either side of the pad, presumably to allow the spine pad the ability to move with the players skating motion. I am finding that the top of the pad has a tendency to dig into my back, both uncomfortable and annoying. Not sure whether this would be less of an issue if the spine pad was a little wider or if the pad was fixed to the pant without the stretch straps.

dsc0822r.jpg

Reebok makes no mention as to whether there is any moisture management or treatment to the liner to inhibit odor and bacteria. The top inner lining of the pant has a honeycomb design to it, but I cannot find anything in the catalog suggesting it has a particular function. The pant dries completely overnight and I have not detected any odor during the first month of use, although I do Fabreeze the pants and hang them up on a ventilated peg board after every use.

dsc0823nj.jpg

The only other thing I think worth mentioning is that the tag on the pant says they fit a 32” to 36” waist. I’m currently a 34” waist and feel that they fit a little on the small side.

I have been working on stretching out the 2 straps on spine pad to see if that helps with the occasional annoyance of the top of the pad digging into my back and it seems to be making a difference. This past week I skated 4 times and really did not notice the spine pad during play. I am going to continue to stretch out the straps a bit more and see if the comfort changes one way or the other. Still very happy with the protection level these pants provide.

I now have the pants where the spine protector pad is no longer an annoyance. So far in just little over 2 months of use the pants are showing absolutely no signs of wear. No tears, board burns, or unraveling stitching.

What I like:

• Weight
  • Protection – particularly the hips
  • Quality of the pant

What I would ideally like in a pant:

• Spine pad level and part of the pant
  • Lace front
  • Spilt thigh pads

Overall I am completely satisfied with how this pant stacks up against the competition. My goal is to provide a pictorial update monthly showing how the pant is holding up moving forward. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

So now with over 2-months of using these pants at least 3 times a week they continue to look brand new except for one small wear region inside the front of the pant adjacent to the belt region. Really amazed that the pants are not showing abrasions, or any board burns considering my playing style.

Front of the pants

DSC_0881_zps59393d87.jpg

Back of the pants

DSC_0883_zps545d08b8.jpg

Inside the pants

DSC_0884_zps79d5ecf7.jpg

The one small wear region

DSC_0885_zps87ed7649.jpg

Even though I don’t normally open and close the leg zippers and velcro tabs when I put the pants on, I have with these only to test the durability of the zippers and velcro, which continue to operate flawlessly.

Still extremely happy with the level of protection, fit, and mobility of this pant. After each use they get sprayed with Frabreze and hung up to dry on a ventilated peg board and dry completely overnight.

Been using the 20K pant exclusively since April, skating 4 times a week and playing competitively on 3 of the 4 nights I play. Last update was 6 months ago.

Overall these pants show very little wear. Below is a picture of the front of the pants showing them without rips and in near new condition.

20K-1_zps070b44db.jpg

Only one slight tear from rubbing up against, or more likely from being rubbed out against the boards. Very insignificant considering the level of play and the total numbers of hours played in.

20K-2_zpsa852fdf4.jpg

The one wear area that I noticed early on during the review has not gotten any worse during continued use.

20K-3_zpsb0023762.jpg

Considering all aspects including protection, weight, mobility, and durability, the Reebok 20K pant is a very good high end retail pant.