Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Explosions at finish of Boston Marathon-3 dead/170+ injured

Hopefully, the rest of the Boston MSHers check in. Details are sketchy but early reports are 2 dead and 23 injured. For the mob scene that is Marathon Monday, I'm amazed those numbers aren't much higher.

yeah honestly from the videos i saw it didnt really look as crowded as i would have expected

i also think the news media/internet/twitter/etc.. also kind of contributes to the problem - because the people that plan these types of things know that instantly they will be on all the news channels and all over the internet for a least a week or so and most of the time thats exactly what they want.

Thankfully the main part of the race had already been over for 2 hours or so, otherwise there would have been many more people there watching the finish. This is just frightening.

Reading reports that Boston PD found two more un-detonated devices. Bruins game still scheduled to happen.

Agreed that this is disgusting and sad.

Update re: Bruin's game. Cancelled...which is the right thing to do.

Edit: Correcting for NHL terminology. NHL is calling the game 'postponed' as it will be played at a later date.

There was an explosion at the JFK library earlier as well, but BPD aren't sure if it's related. Last count I heard was 2 dead and 64 injured, some critically. Hoping the other Boston folk are ok. AP reported cell service in Boston was shut down as of 4:55pm.

That one graphic picture. Oh my...

Those tourniquets are vital. I commend the first reponders who were there and the planners from both the city and the marathon who had such contingency plans in place. It could've been much worse.

Has all the earmarks of a well planned and coordinated attack. No point yet in conjecture as to who might be to blame but I am sure we all have some tendency to consider something out of the mid east. Given Oklahoma City though, that isn't fair. Whomever it is, not enough bad things can happen to them.

Apparently (from what I heard on the way home) the Library explosion is unrelated. A piece of equipment or something...they knew something was wrong and evacuated the building.

Great Google doc that I can't seem to pull up again but pass this on to people who might need a place to stay that is stuck in Boston.

http://t.co/oV2Mpam3Wf

Also this picture shows something a little sketchy. I'm not saying I believe this was the suspect but it's a odd place to be located when shit hits the fan.

BH66ST4CAAEA71w.jpg

not to say its not a possibility, but if I had to count the number of people I knew on rooftops near copley today for the marathon I'd probably need to take off my shoes, too. very common for the neighborhood for people to be up there.

Apparently (from what I heard on the way home) the Library explosion is unrelated. A piece of equipment or something...they knew something was wrong and evacuated the building.

They seem to keep flip flopping on that. Latest I heard was that it was some kind of incendiary device.

Jesus H Christ. This city is mayhem. It is like a Bruce Willis movie. Just walking to North Station was crazy w/ convoys of police/feds blazing through town.