Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

2013 NHL Awards

Obviously, some awards are not up for a vote, like the Jennings or the Richard, let's hear your picks for the ones that are.

Calder: Saad or Huberdeau are great choices, both got top line minutes and chances, but under very different circumstances. I would go with Saad because he earned his spot, despite the coach trying to put everyone else in that spot with Toews and Hossa to start the season. Saad forced his way in with strong two way play for a rookie.

Hart: Crosby He misses a month of the season and is still going to finish in the top five in scoring.

Vezina: Can you pick Anderson, even though he missed half the season?If not, Rask, Lundqvist or Bobrovsky seem to be the top three and you could make a good case for any of them.

Masterton: Crosby, he busted his ass to get ready for the season after missing so much of last season and was on pace for a season like we haven't seen in more than a decade.

Lady Byng: There are a bunch of top end guys that had low PIM totals, I'll be a homer and go with Kane and his 8 PIMs

Selke: Toews Sure, I'm being a homer, but he's near the top of the league in faceoffs taken, faceoff winning percentage and +/-. He also plays against the other teams top lines and kills penalties on a regular basis. There are other guys you can make a case for, but he gets my (non-existent) vote

EDIT for those I forgot:

Adams, I can't see how you vote for anyone other than MacLean this year. Getting the Sens into the playoffs with all of their injuries ranks up there with turning water into wine.

Norris: Since it is mostly a points race and not really a defensive award I will go with Subban. The Habs don't have guys like Crosby or Malkin that turn simple outlet passes into free points. Plus, he also did it without any training camp at all.

Karlsson for the Masterton is a great call, it's probably a two horse race for that one.

I could also see St Louis getting some love in the form of a Lady Byng as a retirement gift. He's well liked around the league and it wouldn't surprise me to see some hardware going his way.

I haven't watched enough to give stand-alone answers, but I have some thoughts in dialogue with your picks Chadd...

Calder: personally I wish Schultz would get it, though I know it's tough for a defenseman to win it. He reminds me a bit of Zubov with his agility carrying the puck through the neutral zone. He's the first defenseman I've seen who snipes the way he does. Huberdeau or Saad each have an awfully strong case too.

Hart: Crosby, agreeing entirely. The way he elevates his linemates is just unreal.

Vezina: Bobrovsky. The Blue Jackets would have been far out of the playoff hunt if not for him.

Masterton: Karlsson. Crosby's a good choice too, but Karlsson's recovery and the impact of him quarterbacking the offense in their playoff clinching win is my pick.

Lady Bing: Matt Moulson, though I'd hope he'd take it as a critique. He doesn't use his size nearly enough, hopefully this would motivate him. I can't help but laugh thinking of Kane getting this. He is rarely penalized on the ice, but he is notoriously ungentlemanly off it.

Selke: I have no idea for this year. I'd say Frans Nielsen if it weren't for how awful the Islanders were at plugging holes in their defense before their hot streak. He always seems to be in the right place when something breaks down, but I can't see him winning it with his -3. I'll be a homer and say that I think sometime soon it'll be a Dane that takes it, be it Boedker, Nielsen or Eller. They all fight to the death on the backcheck and read developing plays well.

Jack Adams: Paul MacLean. Incredible that he could get his team in the playoffs with all of their injuries. It says a lot about other strengths of the organization overall too, but to not panic at the wheel when they were breaking key spokes left and right.

Interesting topic.

Calder: Really tough choice between Saad and Huberdeau, I agree; however, I'd also add Gallagher and Brodin to the list. In the end, I love Saad's game, so I'd go with him.

Hart: I'd like to think it'll be a slam-dunk for Crosby (disclaimer: Pittsburgh native/Penguins fan), but I think that enough people will vote Ovechkin that it'll be close.

Norris: Crowded field, with Subban, Letang, and Beauchemin. After seeing every Penguins game this season, they're a different team with Letang in the lineup, so I'll be a homer and go with him. However, I think that Subban will win, despite the fact he doesn't play as many minutes (adjusted for games played) as the other guys, doesn't kill penalties as much as the others, and the majority of his points are scored on the powerplay.

Vezina: I think Bobrovsky's the "obvious" choice, given his teams lack of offense. Could certainly make a case for Anderson or Niemi, though.

Masterson: Crosby or Harding. That's it, that's the list.

Lady Byng: Lots of candidates here. St Louis, Kane, Dupuis, Datsyuk, Couture, and Read to name a few. I'd love to see Kane win.

Selke: Two-horse race between Toews and Bergeron. I'd go Toews, for the reasons that Chadd gave.

Jack Adams: MacLean. Great job with a ton of injuries/inexperience. Therrien and Oates are also on the list.

Calder: I'm going with Gallagher. He only has 2 less points than Huberdeau in 5 less games.

Hart: Crosby. He hasn't played in over a month, and he just lost the scoring lead the other day.

Vezina: Bobrovsky. The fact that they are even close is all him.

Masterton: Crosby is likely to win this...but I think (and this is not just a homer pick) Markov deserves heavy consideration. Markov has played, in the last 4 years: 45, 13, 7, 21 games. This year he has played in all 48 and is performing like he did '08-09.

Lady Byng: It's largely looked at as high points/low PIM..so I'll say Pat Kane 55pts/8PIM.

Selke: Toews, Bergeron or Datsyuk. Any one is a worthy choice. I'll say Mr. Take Away - Datsyuk.

Norris: Since it usually comes down to D-man with the best Offensive output, it's a stat look up. Subban (41GP, 11G, 27A, 53 PIM) v. Letang (34GP, 5G, 31A, 8PIM). PK leads the League in D scoring, but Letang is very close with less games played and takes way less penalties which would indicate a more responsible overall game. I think Letang will win.

Adams: Therrien, Habs were bottom 3 last year, potentially Top 5 this year. But, the late season slide will weigh on many voters. Maclean, and the way he dealt with his injuries has to be considered. Oates, went from a team that looked like it was going to implode to getting Ovi back to his game and turning that season around. Joel Quenneville has to be considered too. I think people thought the Hawks would be good...but that run to start the season was crazy. Overall, I think the turn around in Montreal, regardless of the late season slide will get Therrien the award.

Comments, not picks, as I don't watch enough of other teams to compare.

Adams: Q wasn't expected to win the division, let alone the President's Trophy.

Calder: Some folks downplay Saad's achievements by stating that anyone should do well on that line. Chadd's right that Q had to have his face pretty much rubbed in it, to keep Saad on that line over Carcillo, or others. At times it seemed like sheer stupidity.

Vezina: Anderson's numbers are worth less without sustaining them over more games played.

Hart: Same argument as always over trophies of this type -- is it best player, or most valuable to his team? They state MVP, but usually give it to the player perceived as having the best season in his sport. Pittsburgh still did very well with Crosby out of the lineup. Toews and Kane are valuable, Toews more so due to faceoffs, plus/minus, leadership.

Selke: Plus/minus for Toews, along with everything else like PK faceoff performance, help his case.

Calder: does this season count as Kadri's rookie year because his emergence is one of the reasons the Leafs are finally back in the playoffs.

Hart: tough one this year. Crosby was having a sick year but that team rolls when he is out. Best player, yes but not sure most valuable. Dark horse could be Tavares and his 28 goals pulling the Isles into the postseason.

Masterton: Crosby could win this just about every year as he always is coming back from something and dominating. Don't know if he is the team's nominee but Markov isn't a bad option in Montreal.

Selke: I was selling Bergeron on this one for years before he finally won. He'll probably be a finalist but I could see Toews getting it just because you can't ignore that run by the Hawks and they have to get something.

Adams: Boudreau will probably get it for what he has done in Anaheim.

Calder: Huberdeau

Hart: Tavares.

Vezina: Anderson (despite missing half the season), otherwise Bobrovsky.

Masterton: Crosby

Lady Byng: Kane

Selke: Datsyuk.

Norris: Letang

Adams: I would have said Therrien or Carlyle, but Oates being able to get Ovechkin going makes it an easy choice for me.

Calder: Saad, good emergance and numbers.
Hart: Tavares, Because of his play over the entire season and team importance, otherwise Ovechkin for his great revival and streak.
Vezina: Bobrovsky, handsdown team importance and emerged as no 1 goalie, best SV% looking on GP, SA. Plus 4 SO.
Masterton: Crosby has the media by the b*lls, so of course, but stick it to Ryan Smyth instead, old geezer.
?Ted Lindsay: Crosby again
Lady Byng: homer; Dan Hamhuis, fits the bill.
Selke: Toews
Norris: Letang; more blocked shots than PK, less PIM/G, despite missing games.
Adams: Maclean, repeat playoff berth dispite roster situation.

GM of the Year: Ray Shero?

Calder: does this season count as Kadri's rookie year because his emergence is one of the reasons the Leafs are finally back in the playoffs.

Kadri isn't eligible. The maximums are 25 games in one season (Kadri had 29 in 2010-2011) or six games in each of two previous professional seasons (Kadri had 29 in 2010-2011 and 21 in 2011-2012).

Calder: Saad

Hart: Tavares - most valuable to his team.. he carried them most of the season.

Vezina: Bobrovsky.

Masterton: Crosby

Lady Byng: MSL

Selke: Datsyuk

Norris: Letang

Adams: Therrien.. Complete turnaround for MTL with less tools than BB has with the Ducks IMO.

Lindsey: Crosby

I wasn't sure how many games Kadri already had under his belt before this year. Gallagher has kind of flown under the radar up in Montreal.

I think the best under the radar rookie has been Yakupov. If you had asked me before yesterday what his points were like, I would have said 12 goal....maybe 21-22 points...I knew I had seen him on some highlight packages, but not every night. He leads rookie scoring with 17 (a hattie last night didn't hurt) and has 31 points.

The fact that he and Huberdeau play on shitty teams will count against them in a lot of voters eyes, IMO. Gally has been playing first line minutes all year on a team that went from last to top 2 in the East.

True. Gallagher makes a lot happen when he's out there. I still think Schultz (4 pts didn't hurt last night either), he's right behind the top rookie scorers, tied for 5th. His -17 looks awful, but he was playing 21:00 mpg on a sub-.500 team.

Gallagher's year reminds me a lot of Bergeron's rookie season. You forget he is a rookie watching him play.

I saw his first 36 games (10G/10A) in Hamilton too...and he looked far from a rookie in the AHL as well. Amazing how some guys just come out of Jr. ready to go and others needs a few years to find their Pro footing.

Such as Paajarvi, who looked very good at times this year, night and day from his weak and lost play in previous seasons. For some guys, it just takes time.

I saw his first 36 games (10G/10A) in Hamilton too...and he looked far from a rookie in the AHL as well. Amazing how some guys just come out of Jr. ready to go and others needs a few years to find their Pro footing.

To your last point, as much razzing as people gave Wilson/Burke for sending Kadri down all the time, I think in the long run it was good for him. Glad they didn't rush him up.

Wow. No love for Muzzin as Calder. Plus 16 leads all Kings and leads all defensemen w 7 goals. not bad for his rookie campaign.

Voynov and Doughty were pretty evenly matched this year also. Not sure they were Norris level but close.

Kopi is always snubbed for Selke and/or Lady Byng.

Leads all Kings' defensemen, you mean. Schultz had 8, and Wiercioch had more points than Muzzin and still a decent +/-. If you like, I'll agree Muzzin can be Kings' rookie of the year, he gets the team award. But I wouldn't even vote for him to make the NHL all-rookie team.

Calder: Brodin. He played big minutes on the top pairing with Suter and looked like a 5 year veteran.

Hart: Tavares - Take a good look at that Islanders team, there isn't much there after Tavares.

Vezina: Bobrovsky.

Masterton: Crosby, but if the playoffs counted I'd say Harding. Coming back from a MS diagnosis and playing that well in the first 3 games of a playoff series is amazing.

Lady Byng: MSL

Selke: Bergeron

Norris: Suter. Big numbers, played ES/PK/PP and played a ton. The Wild aren't a very good team, especially on defense and this guy carried them.

Adams: Maclean. Ottawa was a mess all season and even with all their players healthy wasn't a lock for the playoffs.

Lindsey: Crosby

Calder: Brodin. He played big minutes on the top pairing with Suter and looked like a 5 year veteran.
Hart: Tavares - Take a good look at that Islanders team, there isn't much there after Tavares.

The rookie defensemen don't get no respect.

The Isles aren't that bad. Nielsen's a solid no. 2 center, Grabner looks like he's developed into a consistent 30-goal scorer with minimal support from the coaching staff in doing so. Moulson is a consistent 30-goal scorer (yeah, he's played with Tavares all along...). Josh Bailey can make plays and finish. They won't be confused with the lineup they're facing in the first round any time soon, though, that's true. It looks like it just takes time to get over being a losing team. Look at the Oilers. Or the Lightning. I don't disagree with Tavares for the Hart, just the reasoning that he's playing with nulls for teammates.