Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Vapor APX2 Skate Initial Thoughts

I've never been able to wear a Vapor skate since the inception of the Vapor 8 in 1998; they were always too narrow for me in that aspect. Vapor 10, XX, XXX, XXXX, X:60 similarly failed.

When the APX skate was shown to dealers for the first time at BauerWorld, which I attended, I threw on a pair for the hell of it and was actually shocked that it worked for me. I didn't get to try them however, but when APX2 came out, I was intrigued as it has some new features that are new to market.

You still have the red accents on the boot, mixed in with black and grey.

apx2.JPG

You can see the rib structure really well in this picture of the back of the skate.

apx21.JPG

The tongue is a 3-piece felt tongue, with a hard facing; the metatarsal guard is flush with the facing. I normally am not a fan of felt tongues, because they tend to shift on me, however, those tongues usually have a soft facing. Also, the tongue is very tall, about 1" taller than standard ones.

apx23.JPG

One of the big features is the new Lightspeed EDGE holder; as noted, it is 3mm taller than the original LS. One thing to note is that these holders are 296mm; the Vapor at the EE takes the bigger holder. The steel is removable via a trigger mechanism...

apx212.JPG

...pull it and off it goes.

apx24.JPG

I whipped out my macro lens to show the new injected lacing system; which is the same material as the holder. The premise behind it is that it will eliminate multiple layers of stiffeners in the boot, while having an energy rebound factor as well.

apx25.JPG

Note that it is triple-stitched on the boot.

apx26.JPG

It's about the same thickness as standard.

apx27.JPG

apx28.JPG

There isn't any metal in it; the eyelets are D-shaped which helps to keep laces flat.

apx29.JPG

The Edge Comfort which debuted on the TotalONE is now standard on all top-end Bauer skates, but another thing that has been added to the APX2 is a wear guard right above the top eyelets.

apx210.JPG

As far as fit is concerned, my foot is in the right spot and don't have any volume issues.

apx213.JPG

Laced up, I'm getting an uniform lacing pattern with a good spread.

apx214.JPG

These are 10.5EE, which is slightly wider than my TotalONE NXG and on par with my Nexus 1000 as far as true last is concerned. The skates feel great on my feet so far; no hotspots at all, and I'm getting that "I really don't have to bake but I know I have to with these skates due to the materials" feeling. I will say that they do feel stiff right off the bat, moreso than my NXGs and way stiffer than my Nexus.

I will be putting LS3 on these, and will most likely won't be putting a lift on them to start.

Naturally, I will be doing a LTR on these; unfortunately, due to my move and subsequent store buildout, I don't know when I will get on the ice with them. It's been a crazy few weeks.

Special thanks to Keith Duffy, who is the Sr. Category Manager for skates at Bauer Hockey for providing me with these - much appreciated!

Any questions, please ask in this thread.

If the EE in this skate is wider than the TotalOne then it almost sounds like the width is a whole step up for the Vapor line because TotalOnes were already wider than Vapors... I wore a EE in Vapor 7.0 and perhaps in this skate a D?.

How was then volume?

Really like the eyelet construction/design with this skate. While I personally don't think the LS holder needs any more height, I love the trigger release mechanism. Looking forward to the LTR.

as a lift user what do you think about the new holder?

Well, it's taller, so that's kinda why I want to skate on it first before doing anything. At the time that I got my Nexus, I didn't have access to a riveter and the guy didn't follow my instructions and put them in anyway. You don't have that negative lean on them like you do with the Supreme, so just going to skate them out and see what happens.

Really like the eyelet construction/design with this skate. While I personally don't think the LS holder needs any more height, I love the trigger release mechanism. Looking forward to the LTR.

i would totally put that eyelet mold on my x60's if i could............ could i somehow?

It's pretty hard.

At first I didn't think I'd be having to use the tool, but it makes it tons easier.

It's spring-loaded, and the mechanism floats in between the tower...I personally don't think anything will happen to it.

The one thing that caught my attention when I first saw the skate was that wear guard, which appears to be only single stitched along the top rim. There are exposed edges it seems along the left and top edges per your picture, which brings a concern for fraying and general durability in that area, which, if it turns out to be an actual issue, would be irony at its finest.

I agree, that stitching looks like an after-thought. That whole area where the Edge Comfort meets the wear guard and the new molded lacing piece looks unresolved, all the pieces are there but they don't appear to form an integral system. (Excellent detail shots with the macro, JR.) I do appreciate that Bauer's addressing an area that's been an issue for a lot of people in recent skates with this wear guard though.

Well, it's taller, so that's kinda why I want to skate on it first before doing anything. At the time that I got my Nexus, I didn't have access to a riveter and the guy didn't follow my instructions and put them in anyway. You don't have that negative lean on them like you do with the Supreme, so just going to skate them out and see what happens.

One guy took the holder off his APX2 and put it on his NXG. One my buddies that works with a pro team says a lot of guys are switching to the holder. #27 Alzner from the Caps did as well as a number others are dumping X7.0 and APX for them based off the holder.

I wasnt a believer but learning more about the holder I am seeing where its actually going to help with your skating if you are a leaner, like me. I just got a set of the Edge holders and will be putting them on my NXGs soon

In terms of true last, TotalONE D is an E. I do not wear EE TotalONEs; an EE TotalONE will be wider than a Vapor EE.

Volume is very good.

Is there more volume on the APX2 than the rest of the vapor series? Would you say the volume on the EE APX2 is similar to your D NXG? How about instep volume?

Flyguy1, I found the D APX2 to be very tight in the toe box area, where as my current APX which are D feel perfectly fine. When I tried on EE APX2's, they seemed to be a little much so I had to go with E. Not sure if this helped at all, hope it did.

You can take the insole out and there are 3 tabs in the toebox that you can cut off to adjust the feel and sizing. I cut off the big toe tab on both left and right. I also trimmed a touch of felt off the tounges where they pass the ankle, to alleviate a pressure point.

After some runs I love the fit and performance of these skates. Compared to my previous Vapor X6.0 and Nexus 1k, these are lighter and offer more precise handling, as well as a better fit for my narrower foot.

My only gripe is the Fusion steel, but that isn't a complaint with the skate itself. My disdain with Fusion started with my Nexus 1ks. I plan to swap to a pair of standard LS2 runners once they are available.

Also, when room temperature the steel releases relatively easily with no tool, but once everything cools down on the ice the tool is a necessity.

My only gripe is the Fusion steel, but that isn't a complaint with the skate itself. My disdain with Fusion started with my Nexus 1ks. I plan to swap to a pair of standard LS2 runners once they are available.

Its available from Bauer now.

So is the LS3 and for 10$ more you are much smarter to grab that. Frankly I love the edge on my NXG's and that is with a standard 9 profile. I can pop them out without the tool.

As a big leaner I am very very impressed. Bauer did a great job here and as to the LS3 Steel, i think its fine. I will see how edge durability is as I go but again, we are talking about steel that NHL pros use so its not all that bad.

What is "negative lean"?

That reinforcement on the top of the inside quarter, near the eyelets is genius. Last two pairs of skates I've had have worn out there.

Leaning back on heels, reverse pitch.

I remeber that I did notice this when I first got mine and it took a bit of time to adjust to it.