Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leonzhu

P92 vs P14 vs P12?

Hi everyone,

I currently play with a P92 pattern on my 82flex APX (Cut down by 3"). I find that my shots are okay, although not as hard as i would like them to be. I also stickhandle decently with the P92. However, passing (especially saucers) seems to be a problem for me, my passes tend to flutter when i try to give them a bit more power.

Would going to either a P14 or P12 help? I like a round toe and a small curve, slightly open face. I'm putting in the custom orders for the APX2 soon so any advice would be great.

Based on the advice i get here i'll probably order up a APX to try out the curve over the summer before committing to a new curve for the next season.

Thanks!

I've always used a p92. I bought a apx p14 and everything was spectacular. It is a really versatile curve and I had no problems transitioning. Everything was instantly better I highly recommend it.

i have never used a p-12, but the p-14 i liked better then the p-92. it has a lower lie, very easy to get shots off with. i dont like how the blade is shaped. almost like it gets smaller towards the toe. also the p-14 has a square-ish toe aswell. p-14 is a shorter blade aswell.

cant say i have ever seen a p-12? i guess its a mybauer thing?

P12 is more or less the Iginla. If you are looking for a smaller curve like you said this would be a good option. Round toe, shorter blade and a smaller curve.

P92 was my go-to curve for awhile before switching to the P88. I tried a P14 curve when I was using the P92 and I didn't like it at all. It wasn't clicking for me so I tried the P88 and I've liked it much better. I just wish the lie and rocker were the same as the P92. I might have to look for a P29 blade, like mentioned above.

What I've come to realize about bauer sticks(which I use exclusively now) is that you can't muscle the shot or pass you really have to let this sticks do the work. I have 4 apx (2) p91,(1) p92 , (1)p14 as well as 4 TO (1)p08 , (1) p88,(1)p14 ,and a pro stock Simmonds which is a kreps.

My point being is that, with all the different curves I have I have never had to change my mechanics as long as I let the stick do the work. Also out of all those the p14 is my favorite second woud be the kreps.

If I were u I would get a p14 blade to try or pick up a lower end stick like the nexus 600 or supreme one.8 or a vapor 4.0. That way you don't break the bank.

Your best bet would be to try and find a P29. Its always played like a shallower, less open P92 for me with the same lie/blade profile characteristics.

Rough Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bauer-One90-Pro-Stock-Hockey-Stick-P29-95-Flex-LH-Left-/390123158797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad526fd0d

If only Bauer would bring back the p29, that was a sad day when they took that off MyBauer...

If only Bauer would bring back the p29, that was a sad day when they took that off MyBauer...

That p29 looks perfect. Is there a clone in the Bauer or other stick lineups?

Thanks for all the tips guys, really helping the decision process.

The P12 may take time to get used to as it will be a shorter blade with a flatter rocker than the P92.

Chippa, i currently wear my tape closer to the heel with the P92, would the P12 be any different? Have you used the P12 (and do you have a photo of the P12 and P92 side-by-side)? Thanks.

What I've come to realize about bauer sticks(which I use exclusively now) is that you can't muscle the shot or pass you really have to let this sticks do the work. I have 4 apx (2) p91,(1) p92 , (1)p14 as well as 4 TO (1)p08 , (1) p88,(1)p14 ,and a pro stock Simmonds which is a kreps.

My point being is that, with all the different curves I have I have never had to change my mechanics as long as I let the stick do the work. Also out of all those the p14 is my favorite second woud be the kreps.

If I were u I would get a p14 blade to try or pick up a lower end stick like the nexus 600 or supreme one.8 or a vapor 4.0. That way you don't break the bank.

XOX, i used the PM9 originally and loved it for passing and stickhandling, but wasn't crazy about the way it shot. The P92 shoots much better, and i can pick any corner i like now. Would you say the P14 is in between? (Could you also post a picture comparing P92/P88/P14?)

I've always used a p92. I bought a apx p14 and everything was spectacular. It is a really versatile curve and I had no problems transitioning. Everything was instantly better I highly recommend it.

As a long term P92 user who converted to P14 2 years ago I echo this comment - p14 is a great curve! Passing is more accurate, so as shots (p92 tends to shoot over the net no matter how much I cup) and toe drags a just that much easier!

Yes I would definitely say that th p14 is between a pm9 and p92. I will try to post pictures after a get home from work.

I've been pretty much exclusively a P12/Iginla user since they came out. I don't have any pictures handy to compare with the P92.

I like mid-toe curves so I'd say a P14. However, I don't like that it's a 6 lie. I used a 6 lie with the P88 and it's just too upright for me. If you're used to a P92 (5 lie) I'd recommend finding another 5 lie, but if you're willing to try and transition to a different lie I'd recommend a P14.

The Bauer P12 is a little higher lie than the Iginla, about a 6 vs. 5.5. The CCM Lecavalier is even a little higher than that.

I usually get my P12 sticks through MyBauer but I have gotten lucky with pro stock or SMU's a few times in the past.

I like mid-toe curves so I'd say a P14. However, I don't like that it's a 6 lie. I used a 6 lie with the P88 and it's just too upright for me. If you're used to a P92 (5 lie) I'd recommend finding another 5 lie, but if you're willing to try and transition to a different lie I'd recommend a P14.

out of curiosity, have you actually played with a p14? imo, it plays lower than the stated 6 lie...more like 5.5. i really notice a difference when switching between it and the p92. even putting the blades side by side, the p14 appeared slightly flatter to my eye than the p92.

I didn't get a chance to skate but they used to let people test out curves at a "shooting gallery" at a local sports store. I felt as though it was pretty true to the labeled 6 lie. It could have been due to not being on skates but it just seemed really similar to the lie on my x40 which is 6.

P14 is definately not a lie 6. Its closer to 5.25. when I compare it to my Warrior lie 4 (really 5), its only slightly more upright. Also, the P14 is flat and has a smaller rocker than P92. The rocker on P92 IMO makes it play more like a lie 7. I would say P88 is a 5.5.

Now I gotta try out the P14. Made the switch from P88 to P92 about a month ago. Definitely easier to get loft on the shots in tight spaces but it's take me a while to get used to doing things on the backhand. Is the P14 a better curve for handling things on the backhand?

I have both a p92 and p14. I like both but found my shot alittle more wobbly with the p14. I like the shorter blade of the p14 and is what I primarily use right now. Also my backhand shot was horrible with the p92, much better with p14