Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tvaughan4

Easton RS2 flex

Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it.

Thinking of getting an RS2 but can't decided between a 75 and 85 flex. Used to use a 85 flex original RS, but I know those ran a bit whippy. I'm worried the 75 will be a bit too whippy but I've also heard the new RS2 is stiffer than the old RS, so I'm stuck between deciding between the two flexes. I cut my sticks down to 56". I currently use a Nexus 77 flex cut down to the 92 mark (4" off), but I think it plays more in the 85-88 flex range due to the flex profile, and it feels just about right in terms of flex, for me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was using the original RS for a while as well in an 85 flex. I picked up two RSII's a few weeks back, also in 85 flex, and have not noticed much difference in the shaft. However, the blade has a more solid feel to it.

I was using the original RS for a while as well in an 85 flex. I picked up two RSII's a few weeks back, also in 85 flex, and have not noticed much difference in the shaft. However, the blade has a more solid feel to it.

Agreed. They improved the durability of the blade on the RSII, but they flex and play more or less the same as the original.

In my experience the s19 was definitely less stiff than the RS2. I personally loved the s19 though and hated how my RS2 felt. Maybe because it was a bit too stiff for me.

If I bought another RS2 I would go down to 75 flex. My go to stick is a 77 flex APX.

I still go by the rule-of-thumb 'use a flex equal to half your body weight.' I'm 165 lbs and own both an Easton Stealth RS II in 75 flex and a Bauer Total One NXG in 77 flex. I cut both down about 3 inches.

The RS II has quite a different flex profile than your Bauer Nexus. The RS II has a low kick point, and from my experience the blade tends to roll laterally quite a bit more than my Bauer Total One NXG. I attribute this to weaker blade construction, and perhaps the elliptical taper. For me, this creates overall inaccuracy in my shots. However, it occasionally creates a double kick as the blade rolls back at the same time as the kick of the shaft and it really lets loose. Maybe I'm just not using it right ;)

Based on my experience, I would recommend an 85 flex RS II to feel closer to the Nexus. Overall, I am not a fan of the RS II and only use it for pick-up hockey.

I still go by the rule-of-thumb 'use a flex equal to half your body weight.' I'm 165 lbs and own both an Easton Stealth RS II in 75 flex and a Bauer Total One NXG in 77 flex. I cut both down about 3 inches.

On a side note, how is the flex on that TO NXG? is it stiffer than the old TO at the 77 flex? and if so what would you put it at after cutting it down 3 inches?

On a side note, how is the flex on that TO NXG? is it stiffer than the old TO at the 77 flex? and if so what would you put it at after cutting it down 3 inches?

The TO NXG is pretty stiff, I would say slightly stiffer than the Nexus, significantly stiffer than the APX. The RSII is tricky, it has a real stiff blade but the shaft flex is pretty normal...kind of the perfect combination for a great release.

On a side note, I really believe the average forward uses to stiff of a stick. Stiffer sticks will give you a harder shot in warm ups when you have 15 feet to wind up. Release however is the trump card in a game situation with not much time/space available, generally speaking your functional game shot will improve with less stiff stick. You can get your shot off without as much effort.

With that said, I don't believe in the half your body weight rule. Don't be seduced by your warm up howitzer.

Sorry, I have not used the older TO. After cutting down my TO NXG about 3 inches, the flex is about an 87-88. I'd prefer something a little softer, but that'd put me in the intermediate range and I don't like the smaller shaft.

I recently read (on this forum) that Easton expects you to cut 3" off and labels the flex accordingly - so a 75 flex 60" stick left uncut is really a sub-70 flex. Cut down 3 inches, it becomes a 75 flex. Can anyone validate this?

Sorry, I have not used the older TO. After cutting down my TO NXG about 3 inches, the flex is about an 87-88. I'd prefer something a little softer, but that'd put me in the intermediate range and I don't like the smaller shaft.

I recently read (on this forum) that Easton expects you to cut 3" off and labels the flex accordingly - so a 75 flex 60" stick left uncut is really a sub-70 flex. Cut down 3 inches, it becomes a 75 flex. Can anyone validate this?

From what I've read, the Nexus plays a bit softer than the TO NXG at the same flex, but it's a different flex profile.

I believe easton's stated flex rating is at 2" from the top, so at the 58" mark, but double check.

Hoping I can get an answer here. I'm looking at one of two sticks, both pro stock Kessel's. I have an S19 of his, and love it. I'm looking to get another and my two options are RS2 or S19. Both are listed as 85 flex, however the S19 I am using is an 80. Just curious as to which one (RS2 or S19) plays whippier. I've heard conflicting reports. The only reason I'm asking is that the S19 is more expensive, so I want to know whether it's worth paying the extra amount for the whippier stick, or whether both are pretty much identical. Many thanks.

They are probably identical sticks with different paint jobs. Kessel has always been slow to adapt the newer tech.

I would think the same, but they're listed as what they're painted as and what they actually are. In this case, an RS2 as an RS2 and an S19 painted as a V9E. The one I have now is listed at 80 flex, so this new batch listed at 85 has thrown a bit of a wrench in my gears, as I like sticks closer to 75. Just seeing looking for opinions on which stick would play whippier.

I've found the RS2 to be whippier than the V9E, in my experience.

I doubt that the difference between 85 and 80 across the RS2 and S19 would throw you off that much.