Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

malcb33

55 Flex- Improves skate flex

@ccarrigan- Any luck with contacting 55 Flex about your issues?

My extenders cracked on the top eyelet the other day when I was lacing my skate. Anyone else had these crack on them, is this common?

@ccarrigan- Any luck with contacting 55 Flex about your issues?

My extenders cracked on the top eyelet the other day when I was lacing my skate. Anyone else had these crack on them, is this common?

I emailed, no luck. My big issue is that my lace gets stuck in the crack. I've switched up to leaving the top lace undone and taping my ankle for laterl stability but I'd rather have a working product.

I've emailed as well (only a few days ago though) but I haven't heard back yet.

I would be pretty disappointed if this product only has a life span of a season. I mean I like them and all, but if I'm only gonna get a season out of a pair before they crack maybe tape is better way to go.

Yep, still nothing. For the money I spent for 4 small plastic pieces you'd think I could get an email back. So frustrating. And if the reason why they're expensive is durability, well, my issue is they broke.

Who knows? No one is answering emails which is really disappointing customer service.

I would assume at this point that the company is dead and if there is no company then there can't be any customer service.

It would be great to get a lawyer's perspective, especially a patent lawyer's. What constitutes infringement? How similar does their design have to be to be considered in violation?

On a similar note, I was thinking one improvement to this extender idea would be to incorporate an adjustable anchoring zone for the screws to lock in, similar to how visors are mounted.

Anyone know if or where you can still buy the 55 flex product?    Mine snapped.   

Alternatively I'll try the link to the leather version above.  

12 hours ago, sticktime said:

Anyone know if or where you can still buy the 55 flex product?    Mine snapped.   

Alternatively I'll try the link to the leather version above.  

Make your own, it's easy enough with some off cuts of leather, a leather punch and some eyelets. I can send you some info if you want.

On March 5, 2016 at 3:06 AM, Vet88 said:

Make your own, it's easy enough with some off cuts of leather, a leather punch and some eyelets. I can send you some info if you want.

Appreciate the offer, however I ordered the ones from great saves website.

I'll post a review in this thread to let other know how they compare.    They look the same though.   

tcc:

I have been using the extenders from Great Skate and can provide some feedback.  I also purchased the 55 Flex extenders and tried them on but never skated with them, so I can provide some comparison.

Some background on my situation - purchased Bauer x100 skates about 9 months ago, despite skinny ankles and feet, I found the forward flex to be very limited and felt like I was skating on my heels which hampered my acceleration, speed, and tired my legs out.  I tried numerous lacing patterns and skipping eyelets but could never solve the issue.  I have been skating on the Great Skate extenders for a few months - about 8 games.

My assessment - the extenders have made a huge difference, they allow me to maintain proper tightness around my ankles while providing extra forward flex.   They are made from thick pieces of leather that are quite flexible and the holes are drilled very close to the sides of the leather.  When lacing I worry that I will tear them, however, so far so good.  They are very expensive for what you get, but at least for me, they were money well spent.

55 Flex comparison - as noted, the Great Skate solution is made from thick pieces of leather that are quite flexible so the extenders  wrap around the ankles, versus the 55 Flex solution which are very rigid, this results is more forward flex with the 55 Flex solution, but also results in more pressure on the sides of the ankles.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that great info Holden.

Would you say tat the 55 Flex gives more support no the ankles due to its construction?

How did you order the 55 Flex since it seems like they've gone out of business?

How did you order the extenders as it seems you need to download an order form, etc, etc, etc...

tcc:

1) Never skated on the 55 flex, although I did install on my skates and tried them on - in my opinion, the 55 flex gives more ankle support (side to side) due to it being rigid.  When tightened it tends to pull the skate sides in rather than wrap at all.

2) Purchased the 55 Flex 6-12 months ago - they may be out of business, so deciding between the two now is moot.

3) Went to this link...http://www.greatsaves.org/, clicked on the Skate Lace Extenders picture, clicked on the Buy Now button, and followed the instructions.  It's a small company based in Chicago.  I am sure you can call them - they are very nice.  My order went out either that day or the next.

Was always interested in this product because I'm not a good skater, and anything to promote knee bend and better form is always worth a shot. Reached out to @Holden Caulfield to see if he was still using and liking the product. He gave the thumbs up, so I contacted the folks at greatsaves.org and asked if they had the option to install eyelets on their extenders. They were very nice and ordered some longer eyelets to give it a shot, and were able to install them successfully. Have skated in them once so far and liked them quite a bit. I was at the end of the life of a sharpening and once I installed the extenders I didn't notice it as much. 

extender.jpg

1 hour ago, bigsnake76 said:

Can anyone comment on the durability of the great saves lace/skate bite eliminators?   How are they holding up and how long have you owned them?

Grain of salt, because I'm not that tough on skates due to not being good. Had mine since June and play one game of D level beer league a week with a sprinkling of stick and puck sessions. So far they are holding up great. I don't see or feel any noticeable signs of breakdown at all. 

any update on the durability of the great saves lace bite extenders? i recently had them installed on my skates and my LHS is worried the bolt will dig into the leather and suggested we might need to install eyelets. thoughts?