Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic

Ice Hockey Skates with least aggressive pitch?

I am returning to hockey after a long layoff. Last I skated, there was no aggressive pitch. Additionally, I need a flat pitch to keep the dynamic forces of movement out of my knee, and inside the muscles. Which skates have the least aggressive pitch? I am interested in Reebok (whichever)K, Bauer, and CCM RBZ.

I am thinking that the Nexus line will have the least aggressive pitch out of anything on the market, and thus they are the frontrunner, just curious if anyone here has any thoughts.

Most skate models are neutral so you shouldn't have a problem. Stay away from Graf, Mako's, they have aggressive pitch.

Wouldn't anything with Tuuk Custom+ be rather neutral as well?

Yes but no modern skate comes with those anymore, OP made it sound like he'd be buying a new skate.

I would buy the boot that fits your foot the best, ignoring the stock pitch.

Then the pitch can easily be addressed by profiling the baldes to suit.

I agree with Jordan on this one.

CCM has always had the least amount of pitch. Their new RBZ skate looks like its going to be the best skate on the market!!

I usually jump in early to tell people that. I thought I'd wait and see this time how much advice got offered before it got mentioned.

Try the boots, and if you're lucky, and have a choice of comparable fits, then start comparing the stock pitch. If there's one fit that stands out, get that skate, and do what you need to, regarding blade, holder, pitch, etc.

I usually jump in early to tell people that. I thought I'd wait and see this time how much advice got offered before it got mentioned.

Try the boots, and if you're lucky, and have a choice of comparable fits, then start comparing the stock pitch. If there's one fit that stands out, get that skate, and do what you need to, regarding blade, holder, pitch, etc.

Jordan, Maddigit and Wrangler gave good advice.

Get boots that fit. Changing the holder, shimming the holder, changing the pitch of the steel, or any combination thereof can achieve your desired stance.

Nothing makes up for properly fitting boots.

It may take some time, effort and money, but once you figure out what works for you, you can apply that knowledge to every future pair you own.

I am returning to hockey after a long layoff. Last I skated, there was no aggressive pitch. Additionally, I need a flat pitch to keep the dynamic forces of movement out of my knee, and inside the muscles. Which skates have the least aggressive pitch? I am interested in Reebok (whichever)K, Bauer, and CCM RBZ.

I am thinking that the Nexus line will have the least aggressive pitch out of anything on the market, and thus they are the frontrunner, just curious if anyone here has any thoughts.

Can you please explain your comment above about your knee? I recently started using Mako's and I love them however, around the same time I started using them my left knee started to develop an issue. I thought it was just old age catching up with me. I would appreciate it if you could explain what you know about what a forward pitch does to the knee. Thanks.

A forward pitch would require you to have more knee bend in order to maintain balance front to back.

But I was wondering why more knee bend would necessarily put more stresses on the knee. I guess it makes sense that it would though.

But I was wondering why more knee bend would necessarily put more stresses on the knee. I guess it makes sense that it would though.

human knees aren't designed to be bent for prolonged periods, they're designed to be in an upright position to save energy in an upright gait. this movement isn't always necessarily the best posture for hockey and some sports, but great for distance running.

A knee bent stance gives a smoother stride which is way better than a upright stance. I've never seen "stress" on the knee from a deep stance, but if someone has some kind of issues with their knees, then perhaps some discomfort.

Can you please explain your comment above about your knee? I recently started using Mako's and I love them however, around the same time I started using them my left knee started to develop an issue. I thought it was just old age catching up with me. I would appreciate it if you could explain what you know about what a forward pitch does to the knee. Thanks.

It's a matter of kinesiology/ physiology. If your feet are flat when you push, and you drive from the middle of your foot (from the heel would seem to be most ideal from a physiological/ kinesiological standpoint, but that does not happen with ice hockey), then you are driving with the large muscles of your butt, quads, hammies, and calves. When you put your foot into the extreme forward pitch (as with the Mako), then you are pushing more from the balls of your feet, and thus sending those dynamic forces more into the knee joint.

Consider the forces at work with a squat. If you do a squat (does not matter if it is a body weight squat, a bar squat, or a leg press at the squat sled), and you push from your toes (with a forward lean if you are standing, or just weight on the balls of your feet if you are on the sled), then your force production is coming from the tendons/ ligaments in the knee. You are not building muscle in this scenario, you are just tearing up your foundation of movement (your body). If you push from the heels, then you will get more of a push from the butt, hamstrings, quads, and calves, thus building these muscles (which in turn helps you burn fat). In such a case, the joints are protected, and are just hinging without any additional responsibility incurred.

Personal trainers and physical therapists know this stuff, some people in the gen pop know this as well, but it is mostly esoteric for the masses. Load the muscles, leave the joints alone. The joints ought to be hinging in the proper anatomical angles, without being responsible for force production.

This is not meant to be a knock on Mako. If you are a pro, you get paid to play and you have trainers balancing you out, and tempering the body for these movements described, then you will be fine. However, if one is a 37 year old beer leaguer (such as myself), and just want to enjoy some skating and some ice hockey, and are not even a good enough skater to enjoy the benefits of a skate such as Mako, then this is not the skate for (me). Obviously, I still want a light skate that will make things easy for me to get around and get to that loose puck first off a rebound that sent the goalie out of position, to send it into the twine and all, but I will sacrifice a bit of performance in favor of just keeping all my body healthy (enough). So, I would think that a less aggressive pitch would more mimic the squat from the mid-foot/ heel analogy. I ran this theory by an orthopedic surgeon out here in Singapore, and he agreed with this theory.

Thanks. It is the same knee on which I mildly tore my MCL two years ago on a knee to knee collision, so I'm sure that probably is contributing to the problem. When you mentioned knee issues and pitch and since it started happening about the same time I switched to my Makos, I started wondering if the Makos could be contributing to the problem. I'm still hoping it sorts itself out because I really love those skates.

Thanks. It is the same knee on which I mildly tore my MCL two years ago on a knee to knee collision, so I'm sure that probably is contributing to the problem. When you mentioned knee issues and pitch and since it started happening about the same time I switched to my Makos, I started wondering if the Makos could be contributing to the problem. I'm still hoping it sorts itself out because I really love those skates.

I hope it works out for you too, but in my experience, the only thing that helps these nagging alignment issues is rest, physiotherapy, and/or alteration of the instigator (which in this case may be your skate).

I am not into customizing stuff too much because I find that it always has a way of getting screwed up. However, you might want to consider altering the pitch, if you have someone that you trust to do it. I think that the procedure is called profiling the steel, but do not quote me on this, as this was not an option last I was playing. If I loved the boot, then this is something that I would look into anyway. The only consideration is whether the boot was made to skate at a pitch more preferable to me (neutral), or if it was specifically designed to be used at the +3 pitch, and would have the skater feeling a bit awkward at a more neutral pitch.

Working with the head of Kin at one of the leading Unis here in canada I will have to disagree as a minor pitch forward in studies has shown to have the best speed and performance,

We just concluded a study in which i did the majority of sharpening and profiling.

Also working with top skating coaches although they agrr you want to engage core and all the other things you mentioned. (sorry its 5 am here) a slightly forward of profile center blade placement is encouraged by these instructors. I only know of one that asks to have skates made and profiled the way your saying .....I wont comment further on him as he thinks he knows more than you on body mechanics never stepping into a class room about it.

It's a matter of kinesiology/ physiology. If your feet are flat when you push, and you drive from the middle of your foot (from the heel would seem to be most ideal from a physiological/ kinesiological standpoint, but that does not happen with ice hockey), then you are driving with the large muscles of your butt, quads, hammies, and calves. When you put your foot into the extreme forward pitch (as with the Mako), then you are pushing more from the balls of your feet, and thus sending those dynamic forces more into the knee joint.

Consider the forces at work with a squat. If you do a squat (does not matter if it is a body weight squat, a bar squat, or a leg press at the squat sled), and you push from your toes (with a forward lean if you are standing, or just weight on the balls of your feet if you are on the sled), then your force production is coming from the tendons/ ligaments in the knee. You are not building muscle in this scenario, you are just tearing up your foundation of movement (your body). If you push from the heels, then you will get more of a push from the butt, hamstrings, quads, and calves, thus building these muscles (which in turn helps you burn fat). In such a case, the joints are protected, and are just hinging without any additional responsibility incurred.

Personal trainers and physical therapists know this stuff, some people in the gen pop know this as well, but it is mostly esoteric for the masses. Load the muscles, leave the joints alone. The joints ought to be hinging in the proper anatomical angles, without being responsible for force production.

This is not meant to be a knock on Mako. If you are a pro, you get paid to play and you have trainers balancing you out, and tempering the body for these movements described, then you will be fine. However, if one is a 37 year old beer leaguer (such as myself), and just want to enjoy some skating and some ice hockey, and are not even a good enough skater to enjoy the benefits of a skate such as Mako, then this is not the skate for (me). Obviously, I still want a light skate that will make things easy for me to get around and get to that loose puck first off a rebound that sent the goalie out of position, to send it into the twine and all, but I will sacrifice a bit of performance in favor of just keeping all my body healthy (enough). So, I would think that a less aggressive pitch would more mimic the squat from the mid-foot/ heel analogy. I ran this theory by an orthopedic surgeon out here in Singapore, and he agreed with this theory.

I agree with this statement fully and I have been skating for sometime now also. I was wondering what my issue was and it appears to me that the biggest thing that affects my skating is the pitch. I cannot have any pitch ( None) The minute I have any pitch say I put those superfeet in my skates, I lose all my power. Now granted this may be due to several factors..One I have always skated on tuuk custom plus holders which are known to be nuetral. I also have flat narrow feet. There is no doubt in my mind that I have much better control and power when skating from this nuetral stance. I am also much better able to roll off my heels as well as jump to my toes. I have complete and better control of the entire skate and edges. Once I put any lift in me it just a few millimeters I am completely off and this affects everything including power and even puck control. It is amazing how long I have been skating and how little I have known. This comment now makes more sense to me as rings such truth. Why would anyone want to put pitch that would have them getting thier pwoer from thier knees verses the buttucks thighs and hamstrings and calf muscles..Thanks for this very educational post. I wont be using any superfeet anylonger..Im much better off nuetral

I am skating on MX3 skates after having one95's since they came out. The stock pitch on them seems fairly neutral. I did add a pair of superfeet yellow to them, and I could not tell much of a difference in pitch. Try on all of the boots you are interested in and go with what fits best.

I agree with this statement fully and I have been skating for sometime now also. I was wondering what my issue was and it appears to me that the biggest thing that affects my skating is the pitch. I cannot have any pitch ( None) The minute I have any pitch say I put those superfeet in my skates, I lose all my power. Now granted this may be due to several factors..One I have always skated on tuuk custom plus holders which are known to be nuetral. I also have flat narrow feet. There is no doubt in my mind that I have much better control and power when skating from this nuetral stance. I am also much better able to roll off my heels as well as jump to my toes. I have complete and better control of the entire skate and edges. Once I put any lift in me it just a few millimeters I am completely off and this affects everything including power and even puck control. It is amazing how long I have been skating and how little I have known. This comment now makes more sense to me as rings such truth. Why would anyone want to put pitch that would have them getting thier pwoer from thier knees verses the buttucks thighs and hamstrings and calf muscles..Thanks for this very educational post. I wont be using any superfeet anylonger..Im much better off nuetral

I disagree.