Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer Vapor APX2 Skate

I FINALLY got to skate in these for the first time - after all of these months, with the move and new position with Total Hockey, free time was at a premium.

Lacing them up in the room, they felt pretty good, as they did after I baked them. However, the true test was going to be on the ice.

They are stiff. Really stiff. Which is okay, as I am liking a stiff boot nowadays. Heel was pretty locked in and I had a little pressure there, and a little on the right midfoot, but for all intents and purposes, it was a successful first skate.

The holder, on the other hand, is going to take a while for me to get used to. Not that it's bad, but that it's different - and I made a mistake with the radius I did on them. I normally skate Supremes and those skates come with a 288mm holder and I had success with an 11' on it, however, this is 296 and they feel too long - and so my turning radius felt a bit shaky - as in the skate wants to turn quickly, but there's still blade on the ice so it was a bit counterproductive. I'm going to keep it on for another couple of skates and if it doesn't improve I may drop down to 9'.

One thing that I took away from this was after I was done. Now, people who have skated with me know that after I take my skates off, I'm usually near tears - my feet swell under the outer mid-foot and I can barely walk for about 5 minutes. This has been the only skate I have worn in which this didn't happen, and that's really exciting for me. I was shocked, to be completely honest.

No hotspots, no painful pressure at all. It's going to be a work in progress, but this is a completely different feeling from previous skates I've worn.

Any questions, direct to the Initial Thoughts thread I have going in the Ice Equipment forum.

After my first skate with them, I knew I had to correct the profile, so I took it back to the shop and put a 9' on them.

Skated in them at SummerJam but I think that the LS EDGE/LS3 combination is just a bit too tall for me. Luckily, I brought the Fusion runners I also profiled with me...

steelswap.jpg

I tried doing it in the locker room, but without a tool, it's tough as hell to get that steel out. Luckily Rob at Bauer had one.

After that, skate felt great. I think I need to tinker with the tongues a little bit, but all in all, it's been a very good experience. Boots are very stiff, but I'm okay with that.

I haven't updated this in a while, but I've been skating in them regularly since August.

Things are good and they really feel good on my feet, but to be completely honest, I feel as if something is missing. And what that is, is what I feel in a Supreme skate.

My next go around is going to be with my Supremes, and after that, I should be able to wrap up this review.

Been on the Supremes since then and my thoughts are indeed that - I feel as if I can do much more on them because of the increased range of motion. However, comfort-wise, the APX2 beats it as I fall on the tight side on Supreme.