Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vet88

E700 return

A friend was in Hockey Giant asking about E700 helmets. CSR says they sent most of them back to Easton because one of their guys took a puck to the side of the helmet just above the ear, the helmet exploded leaving the player with a large injury to his head. Anyone else heard of this and that the E700 doesn't have a good rap in the market place?

Define exploded? If you're taking a shot to the side of the head the helmet probably needs to be replaced anyway, regardless of brand.

"One of the guys" is a manager who works at Giant. It was described as "puck hit the helmet about 1 inch above the ear, helmet explodes leaving big hole in helmet where the puck hit it and cuts and abrasions to the side of the players head". Because of this, Giant then sent all E700's back to Easton except those that were on the shop floor.

So yes, the helmet definitely needed to be replaced as I doubt anyone wants to skate round with a hole in their helmet.

Considering I have just recently purchased one of these to replace my S17, I am now wondering if this was a wise decision. The person who told me about this was in Giant CA last week, not sure if it was the Anaheim or San Jose store, I will find out today.

"One of the guys" is a manager who works at Giant. It was described as "puck hit the helmet about 1 inch above the ear, helmet explodes leaving big hole in helmet where the puck hit it and cuts and abrasions to the side of the players head". Because of this, Giant then sent all E700's back to Easton except those that were on the shop floor.

So yes, the helmet definitely needed to be replaced as I doubt anyone wants to skate round with a hole in their helmet.

Considering I have just recently purchased one of these to replace my S17, I am now wondering if this was a wise decision. The person who told me about this was in Giant CA last week, not sure if it was the Anaheim or San Jose store, I will find out today.

Sounds like the helmet did its job. Cuts and abrasions are better than a fractured skull and brain swelling

Helmets are built to pass the certification testing, not for every potential problem. Is it possible that it happened? Sure, but it would have had to have been an extremely unlikely sequence of events that lead to a puck being shot that hard and hitting someone in the head. I would also venture that any number of other helmets would experience the same results if those highly unusual circumstances were repeated exactly as they happened. In the end, the helmet did it's job and died in the process.

In all of that I totally agree with you. If a 90mph puck hit me square on the side of the head and I walked away from it I would be very happy. But for Giant to then send the helmets back to Easton leads one to ask what else is going on? Why would a major retailer reject the product after an incidence like this?

So far it sounds like a lot of here say. If hockey giant was so concerned over the helmet why would they only pull their back stock and not what they have on the floor? Something probably happened but the story ended up getting twisted through the grape vine.

In all of that I totally agree with you. If a 90mph puck hit me square on the side of the head and I walked away from it I would be very happy. But for Giant to then send the helmets back to Easton leads one to ask what else is going on? Why would a major retailer reject the product after an incidence like this?

They're based in California, a very litigious state. Maybe they didn't want the risk. Maybe they over reacted. Maybe it was aliens. Maybe there is some other reason. It's impossible to tell what the "real story" actually is.

Did you ever find out which store? I played in Anaheim and a guy on the opposing team dove head first in front of a one timer and had a very similar injury. No idea what model helmet he had.

If it was the same guy, I definitely wouldn't hold it against the helmet this guy took a point blank slap shot one timer directly in the helmet. I was amazed he even sat up on his own.

If it was the same guy, I definitely wouldn't hold it against the helmet this guy took a point blank slap shot one timer directly in the helmet. I was amazed he even sat up on his own.

The really scary thing is that if the helmet had not had a catastrophic failure, he probably would have kept playing with it.

I went to the HockeyGiant today and apparently it's all of their stores that have recalled the E700. I just got the Re-Akt on clearance for 20 bucks more.

Helmets are built to pass the certification testing, not for every potential problem. Is it possible that it happened? Sure, but it would have had to have been an extremely unlikely sequence of events that lead to a puck being shot that hard and hitting someone in the head. I would also venture that any number of other helmets would experience the same results if those highly unusual circumstances were repeated exactly as they happened. In the end, the helmet did it's job and died in the process.

Agreed 100%. If the shot was that hard I would take any cuts (not in my eyes) over serious head trauma.

Pro Carbon Kevlar goalie helmets will crack like a big dog if hit at the right angle and speed. A plastic player helmet offers little protection compared to the goalies. If he lived thru it without serious injury, I'd say it accomplished it's job.

Why did they send some of them back and not all of them? And why is HockeyGiant still selling them online?

I don't know but if the range they are selling is anything to go by then they are seriously short of stock in Eastons top of the line helmet.

This is not the first time that I have heard this rumor on the E700. I was at Pro Hockey Life with my son looking to replace his 8K. He really liked the look of the E700 and it fit well. But when we asked the rep on the floor he said he would go with another helmet because in the testing of all the latest top of the line helmets. The E700 shattered when it had a puck shot at it. The rest did not. Now this might be a design feature. But when he told me this I got my son the RE-AKT. At $160 I can't be buying helmets cause it took a puck off it and cracked or shatters. They should be able to withstand a sertain amount of impact. I think someone on here needs to test this to see if it's true.

If HockyGiant really felt that there was a serious problem, I don't think they would only be sending some of them back. Something doesn't add up. It all sounds very fishy.

If HockyGiant really felt that there was a serious problem, I don't think they would only be sending some of them back. Something doesn't add up. It all sounds very fishy.

It could possibly be that they shipped back all the ones in store, and they are selling new ones directly from Easton online.

This is my only guess. As in HG is selling them, but going directly to HG from Easton when purchased and then shipped? I don't even know. I went with the Re-Akt and it doesn't fit my head, I look like Matt Hendricks.

Why did they send some of them back and not all of them? And why is HockeyGiant still selling them online?

Looks like they aren't on hockeygiants site anymore.

Looks like they aren't on hockeygiants site anymore.

Well I guess that solves it then lol

HockeyGiant is really disappointing me lately.