Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

2013-2014 Gear Sightings

Noticed something strange in the Canada-Finland game today.

Sami Salo wasn't wearing a visor, so I searched up the IIHF rules and anyone born after December 31, 1974 must wear a visor. However, Salo was born on September 2, 1974, so he's exempt.

Just strange to see someone visorless in an international game.

Amazes me that these players can have any glove in the world imaginable if they just say the word, but it's still a ''hey, got an extra pair of gloves? I like them''.

92ba11707d20e5064b0f6a706700cb4c.jpg

6d33ad297d27e5064b0f6a706700e09c.jpg

genegloves_zps3f7937aa.png

I could be wrong but I saw a close of of the Swiss bench and it looked like they were using a brand of hockey stick I had never seen. I figured it was just a common brand with a different language but I wanted to see if anyone had any insight into that.

I could be wrong but I saw a close of of the Swiss bench and it looked like they were using a brand of hockey stick I had never seen. I figured it was just a common brand with a different language but I wanted to see if anyone had any insight into that.

Busch:

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/julien-vauclair-of-switzerland-gets-up-off-the-ice-after-news-photo/469520563

Wow, I never knew the goal cam was in such high-def...

Well, it's an AP photo. Somehow they have a camera in there. It's a 4928 x 3414 picture.

The original one-piece-stick maker as far as I know.

igor-larionov-1993-home.jpg

I remember those! It's almost ironic... Sher-Wood was first to produce one and yet it's the technology that nearly put them out of business.

KOHO and TITAN had one piece sticks many years before BUSCH, however, if talking about "today's OPS", then yes, it was BUSCH.

Sherwood was not the first and had BUSCH produce the sticks for them, the same way ITECH did. The stick was originally branded as BUSCH when it first came out. I want to say I first saw it in 1991 or '92 and it was a $175 stick back then!

it still cracks me up to hear One Piece Stick, as I grew up with wood sticks, which were for all intents and purposes one piece sticks! It's just funny that we've gone full circle, from one piece sticks, to two piece, then back to one piece...

But reading about Busch making sticks for the major manufacturers is no different than a rebrand of anything else. Anyone remember the Canadien/Easton aluminium sticks waaaaaaaay back in the day? When you don't want to be left out of the loop but want to cash in on the latest trend, it is EASIEST to re-brand. It happens in every sport.

Actually, BUSCH is/was a solid one piece from toe to heel, not pieced together like today's one piece stick.

So really, the Busch is a TRUE one piece stick. I have wondered why what is being called a OPS is essentially a two piece stick. After all, for the full exploitation of the composite construction, it should be one piece. If I were to build a hockey stick in the garage, I would make some elements going from the toe of the stick to the very end of the shaft. But enough about debatable construction methods...

KOHO and TITAN had one piece sticks many years before BUSCH, however, if talking about "today's OPS", then yes, it was BUSCH.

Sherwood was not the first and had BUSCH produce the sticks for them, the same way ITECH did. The stick was originally branded as BUSCH when it first came out. I want to say I first saw it in 1991 or '92 and it was a $175 stick back then!

My point is still valid... Sher-Wood was early on the 100% composite sticks train and yet the technology still nearly bankrupt them

I guess, but not really. Larionov used the stick somewhere between '93 and '96, but many other companies were ahead of SHERWOOD. BUSCH, INNOVATIVE, KOHO, TITAN, were some of the other names with composite shafts out there before SHERWOOD went with the BUSCH branded stick.

I doubt this is what nearly bankrupt them as that didn't come for many years after and BUSCH was simply an OEM for them.

Sherwood jumped on the FONTAINE train before Hillerich & Bradsby bought it. Luc Robitaille used FONTAINE in 1992-93 (see pic below). It was around that same time that Sherwood had the stick branded "SHER-POWER", with H&B buying FONTAINE in '95/'96.

The Sherwood version of the BUSCH stick came after that, however, Luc never used it. Luc went on to be traded to PIT and NYR, where he used KOHO Vector DRC shafts, then returned back to LA in '97 and used INNOVATIVE.

ROBITAILLE-640x512.jpg

The first commercially successfully and widely NHL adopted OPS stick, even if it's not a "true OPS", was the Easton Synergy. Sher-Wood was promoting a Busch stick before the Synergy existed. Even if they were not the very first and had their own different iterations of graphite / composite sticks, Sher-Wood was still one of the early promoters of a OPS. Once the composite OPS stick industry caught on, it nearly made Sher-Wood extinct.

Again, it's sort of ironic...

I appreciate your stick knowledge is vast and way over my head, but you are getting too technical and literal for the point I was making.

The Synergy has to be given the credit of being the first commercially successful and widely adapted pro stick. In my book, anything before the Synergy can be considered an early attempt at a composite stick.

I guess, but not really. Larionov used the stick somewhere between '93 and '96, but many other companies were ahead of SHERWOOD. BUSCH, INNOVATIVE, KOHO, TITAN, were some of the other names with composite shafts out there before SHERWOOD went with the BUSCH branded stick.

I doubt this is what nearly bankrupt them as that didn't come for many years after and BUSCH was simply an OEM for them.

Sherwood jumped on the FONTAINE train before Hillerich & Bradsby bought it. Luc Robitaille used FONTAINE in 1992-93 (see pic below). It was around that same time that Sherwood had the stick branded "SHER-POWER", with H&B buying FONTAINE in '95/'96.

The Sherwood version of the BUSCH stick came after that, however, Luc never used it. Luc went on to be traded to PIT and NYR, where he used KOHO Vector DRC shafts, then returned back to LA in '97 and used INNOVATIVE.

ROBITAILLE-640x512.jpg

Out of curiosity, what curve did Luc use? Looks kind of P10ish.

Oh man, those Fontaine shafts. Bittersweet because I loved the weight and balance but they had a tendency to break, or at least I just didn't know how to use them. Rough going for me when I tried those out and then later on the PF1000.

Sher-Wood/Busch Carbone 2000 back in 1994. I remember getting the Great Skate catalogue and seeing it on the back page.