Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockey2168

Skate Comparison

Hi All,

I need some help deciding between skates. I know it all comes down to personal preference, but I would still like to hear some opinions.

Out of these three, which pair has more durability? Pros and Cons?

1) Reebok 12K Pump Jr. Ice Hockey Skates

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-skates-12k-pump-jr.html#reviewsTab

2) Bauer Vapor X 70 Jr. Ice Hockey Skates

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-skates-vapor-x70-jr.html

3) CCM U+ Crazy Light Jr. Ice Hockey Skates

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hockey-skates-uplus-crazy-light-jr.html

Thanks! :)

I live in an area that leaves me unavailable to them. My only choice is to order online. I am currently using Graf supras 705 right now

First off, which skate fits the best? Other concerns should be secondary to that.

What don't you like about your current Grafs? Do they fit fine but you outgrew them? All 3 of those have pretty different fits, so they aren't that comparable in my opinion. If Vapors fit the RBKs and CCMs are going to be wider mostly throughout, etc.. I don't see many Grafs in person but I believe the fit is much different than those 3 you mentioned.

Once you find the brand/model that works for your foot then you can move up and down within that line for the most part to find the ideal price range to durability for your play.

What don't you like about your current Grafs? Do they fit fine but you outgrew them? All 3 of those have pretty different fits, so they aren't that comparable in my opinion. If Vapors fit the RBKs and CCMs are going to be wider mostly throughout, etc.. I don't see many Grafs in person but I believe the fit is much different than those 3 you mentioned.

Once you find the brand/model that works for your foot then you can move up and down within that line for the most part to find the ideal price range to durability for your play.

Ah I see thanks. I like the Grafs, they are comfy, but they aren't as durable as I thought. I've had them for a few months, and the sole is already separating from the heel, and the screws are breaking. I previously owned a pair of Bauer Vapors, and compared to the Grafs, they are much lighter. I wanted to go back to lighter skates.

I haven't used the 12K Pump or the X70s but I have owned the Reebok 20K and Bauer Vapor APX which are both the top of the line models. As far as the durability is concerned, I would lean towards the Bauers. The Reeboks seem to crack in certain places and the pump, which does work at first, slowly starts to lose effectiveness in that you will have to pump it between periods and eventually, it wont hold air at all. My Bauers have been nicked and chipped in certain places but it was all cosmetic and did not harm the skates at all. Since you said you had the Bauers before, and you liked them(especially since you can't try on all three), I'd stick with them. Moving from Bauer to Reebok was really tough for me because of the pitch of the skates, the different widths and volumes. It took a lot of tweeking to get them how I liked my skates to feel. Good luck!

If I remember correctly you live in Hong Kong. With Grant Phillips being the distributor for Bauer (he can probably get you to try on skates) and there being a proper distributor with a small shop carrying Easton/CCM/Reebok in Kowloon Bay, it would be prudent to actually go try on the skates and buy them directly from these distributors to save on shipping. I have no clue where you're getting this stuff shipped to you online, as the major Canadian and American online stores won't ship there, and I sure as hell do not recommend you purchasing any of this stuff on TaoBao either. I've linked the two distributors below, take a look, send e-mails, make phone calls, do what you need to.

Furthermore, the kiosk in the Megabox Ice Rink carry some older Easton/Bauer skates. It's in the general vicinity of the Easton Distributor (about a block's walk) so a day trip there shouldn't be an issue.

Bauer (Grant Phillips) http://www.myhockeydoctor.com

Easton/CCM/Reebok http://www.empireskate.asia

Both these guys have very horrid sites, and Empire Skate can barely string together English in an e-mail. As with everything in Hong Kong, a phone call would be most prudent and effective.

They tend to carry older models in their actual locations, but will gladly help you order the newest line of skates if they're right for you.

A side note. One thing I've noticed with us Asians, especially players I grew up with in Hong Kong, is that we lack the weight that players of other ethnicities typically have due to our typically slimmer frames. The coaches and experienced players I've spoken to often suggest mid-range rather than high-end boots because a boot too stiff for your skill level or weight class can have a negative impact on your skating abilities. For example, weighing in at a scrawny 138 lbs, I've always felt like I got more responsiveness in the Supreme One.7s I misplaced than the TotalOne NXGs I was given, the latter always having felt too stiff and inhibiting my natural movements. Though hell, the Mako sure fixed all of that!

P.S. When ordering online from international sites, do check their shipping restrictions. If your links off Hockey Monkey are indicative of your intents, they don't ship outside of the US.

- Much love, from someone who used to be in your position <3