Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ibeck

2013-2014 Goalie Gear Sightings

Should probably post these too... Thomas' Piku set up.

thomaspikus.jpg

"The Rick" DiPietro looking to return to the NHL. Two conditioning/evaluation games with the Checkers then on to Carolina! WOOHOO! Although I have to say, this is the least colourful and imaginative gear I've ever seen him in...

dipietro3.jpg

I wonder if he will go back to #29. That was always his number of choice. Also used 29 at BU

Further proof that Thomas is a little loopy.... Bauer players cage on his mask! :ohmy:

thomasmask.jpg

What weird kind of hybrid is that? Is that a modded mask done by himself or are these available somewhere?

The original Mage (and the prototypes and productions for T^2) didn't have the chin as part of the overall shell structure. I think the integrated, very low-profile chin came in with the Mage II, now the Mage RS. You're right, though, that this does appear even less substantial than his earlier shells -- although I can almost guarantee the EQM wouldn't mess with a mask shell; they'd just order a new one.

As for the cage, as 'Atom 1982' as it may look, the newer Bauer wire-shape does disrupt forward vision much less, and is way, way lighter. He'll just have to replace the cage practically every time he gets hit, but for a pro, that might actually be more effective at mitigating impacts. Sportmask's FAQ has a decent explanation of the theory:

Q - Are cages supposed to dent? Are dented cages covered under warranty?

A - Denting plays a HUGE part in overall safety. Our logic, is to follow the same method used in the automotive industry and the "crumple zone." The crumple zone has become industry an standard for safety. The front end of the car is designed to crumple upon impact, absorbing the majority of the impact's energy. Even though the front end is demolished, you walk away with your life. We think that is a fair trade for something that can be replaced. The cage on a mask acts much like a crumple zone. Sure we can make cages that do not dent, however a cage that does not dent transfers energy straight back to the brain. We choose safety above and beyond anything else. Dented cages are not covered under warranty.
Always remember, the cost of replacing the cage is peanuts compared to the cost of replacing your head.

Now, most goalie cages are way stronger than this, but most goalies don't have a massive replacement budget, nor are they able to travel with a guy who carries a supply of new cages and can swap them on command, during a game, without a word of protest from the refs or opposition.

I would also counter the 'crumple zone' theory by suggesting that:

1) that the risk of catastrophic failure due to a major (Chara-esque) impact to those thinner cages is way, way higher, and people lose eyes that way;

2) the NHL's rules don't speak to dented cages, however severe, so Thomas would have to remove his mask in order to get a stoppage -- and voluntary removal is a DOG penalty;

3) a heavier cage adds hugely to the mass of the helmet, and there are suggestions (per omegagoalie) that the weightier inertia of a mask protects against sub-clinical impacts far better than a light mask.

Thomas would probably reply that the whole point of a combo-style mask is that the impact is directed up into the clips, rather than back through the screws into the shell, and the great masque of masks dances on...

New warrior ritual G2s

C53B314C-E27F-412C-8086-D513DDBB6FB9-532

Bindingless pads: check.

Bindingles blocker: check.

Bindingless glove: check!

Adjustable and removable glove palm (and thus break-angle):-- wait, what!?

Original toe and boot-strap attachments: adsdjhsad#%^$^!!!

Failsafe knee to completely eliminate under- and over-rotation: knock over your King and go get a brandy...

It is official... Bryz is an Oiler (as in he actually played in a game in an Oilers uniform)! Woohoo!!!

Looks like Bryz is in violation of the uniform policy in that pic, no team colored stockings.

Many goalies go w/ out.

Looks like Bryz is in violation of the uniform policy in that pic, no team colored stockings.

"The Rick" DiPietro looking to return to the NHL. Two conditioning/evaluation games with the Checkers then on to Carolina! WOOHOO! Although I have to say, this is the least colourful and imaginative gear I've ever seen him in...

dipietro3.jpg

Guess that ship has sailed. :sad:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10040099/rick-dipietro-cut-carolina-hurricanes-farm-club

"The Rick" asked to be released from his pro tryout contract. Looks like with Ward's return and Peter's stepping up he felt there was no room for him to advance back to the NHL with Carolina.

Awesome G2s: love the look of that extended landing area. It's like a perfected 'Lehtonen knee'.

And, of course, MORE TIMMY:

Tim+Thomas+Winnipeg+Jets+v+Florida+Panth

Why yes, Virginia, that is a Maltese gel collar with a 1/2" scoop in the neckline; looks to have a full clavicle pad too...

Should probably post these too... Thomas' Piku set up.

thomaspikus.jpg

dipietro3.jpg

That's great to hear that the former number 1 draft pick is coming back. Crazy how Hossa, Heatley, and Gaborik, were all picked after him.