Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zjack38

NHL14

Just wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts as the demo came out today. Personally I think they should have an option not to fight, cause after every big hit there's a fight. One thing I do like though is the black eyes for fighting, and blood. Also I like how if you shoot a puck after a whistle the other team comes at you to fight. Nhl94 was weird, but cause I never played that, that's probably why. I didn't really notice anything different with the "one touch" dekes, but maybe I wasn't doing it right, decking just seemed a lot more smooth, that's the only difference I saw in deking.

Overall it seems like the same old game, with a few added improvements, and some new game modes. But with that being said the new game mode I'm really looking forward to is the new version of be a pro. But still the game looks cool with a few improvements that will improve gameplay.

Welcome to how EA makes games!

With all due respect, its a hockey video game. You really can ONLY make the same old game with few improvements each year. If they did anything too radical, it would take the emphasis off of the actual game.

Updates can be made to adjust the amounts of fights if it really becomes a problem. The NHL13 demo had bugs but were fixed by the time the game came out or shortly after as an xbox or ps3 update.

With all due respect, its a hockey video game. You really can ONLY make the same old game with few improvements each year. If they did anything too radical, it would take the emphasis off of the actual game.

With all due respect, and without getting too deep into it, EA wouldn't do anything innovative if they had the chance to do so and shock the world.

NHL 13 was pretty solid except for a few things that have been fixed for 14: the skating engine is tighter and more responsive, the hitting physics are improved, and the poke check isnt massively overpowered. Its going to be a solid update and I think the current engine maxes out the 360 tech, so until the One comes out we wont see anything dramatically different. Most of the discussion as it relates to newer consoles and the NHL series is around stick collision physics (ie, not being able to follow through shinpads/skates) and completely eliminating scripted animations so the entire game is "live"

Playing the demo, I think the hitting physics are a little much, almost every solid hit that get hit leaves his feet and flys into the boards, and then the other team fights me.

there will be a lot of custimization you can put into your game mode. If it bothers you a lot, you can move the slider of how often fights happen down really low. or you can go all out, sign some bangers, slide the shit way up, and fight your way into infamy.

Finally got to play the demo yesterday, in one period I had 8 fights, it was like every hit went to a fight. I know I will be able to tune it but I honestly didn't play a second round of the game because it was just not fun to me to fight. The demo killed my excitement for the game. other than that its typical EA game, roster and uni updates and a few tweaks, interested to see the "live the life" mode though.

Really liked the demo, all I do is free skate. As Cavs said, when you're playing online the majority of the time, out of the box and adjustable setting don't really matter. Goalies still Superman that hoe on backhands, but if you pivot on the left face off dot, do the full wrister windup and put the puck short side, Rask is completely helpless.

Can someone tell me how to win a face off (xbox) I really don't think I've won one yet!

Great game minus the whole fighting things, I am averaging 5 fights a game (all retaliation from big hits)

If you're a lefty (reverse for righty):

If the opposing center goes backhand grip: hold right on the right stick, hold the left stick in the direction you want to win the draw (most effective is back to the left point) and then quickly roll the right stick down as the ref is moving his arm. To tie up (works best if opposing center is also on his backhand) jam both sticks forward from the backhand grip as soon as the ref moves his arm.

If the opposing center goes forehand grip, same as above for the backhand grip/win direction but quickly roll the right stick up for a stick-lift win, works almost 99% of the time against a forehand grip.

I never use the forehand grip because its easily countered with the stick lift as mentioned above. It takes practice/time to commit the counters to memory but playing center in this game is fun once you get the hang of it.

Anyone else waiting for the start of the season to start up BAGM/GMC/BAP? The wait sucks lol and I'm a stickler for accurate rosters.

I'm probably going to wait until even after then. If someone like Drouin or Mackinnon sticks they'll get bumped from a 70 overall to low 80s.

ive been solely playing the 94 mode since i got it until they fully update rosters for the season. somehow im sniping left and right with abdelkader.