Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lee-Bro

Television recommendation

I'm looking at buying a new LED t.v. We're probably going with 55" or 60". It's a bit of a challenge to watch hockey at the various stores to determine which models handles hockey (and other sports) well.

So I'm looking for recommendations for models that handle hockey/fast action very well.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 46" Sony Bravia LCD. Love it. I don't see any artifacts or break up on HD Sports. Dark jersey against white ice, everything is clean and crisp.

On a similar note, my 11 year old HD JVC would not power up last night, prolly the power supply is this a DIY?

I've never done it, but I can't imagine it's any harder than replacing the power supply in a Computer. A friend of mine and I have done a few repairs to laptops. Had to replace the Webcam cable once...a couple hinges. We did a screen swap on one when it when dark.

Keeping track of the 15-20 tiny screws that came out of that was a nightmare...but I think a TV would be fairly easily...and at 11 years old...not like voiding a warranty is an issue.

I'm looking at buying a new LED t.v. We're probably going with 55" or 60". It's a bit of a challenge to watch hockey at the various stores to determine which models handles hockey (and other sports) well.

So I'm looking for recommendations for models that handle hockey/fast action very well.

Thanks in advance.

The higher the refresh rate, the better it will be. You should be fine with anything at 120hz or higher, sometimes the 60hz displays get some of the digital artifacts. Higher contrast ratios will show better detail as well.

On a similar note, my 11 year old HD JVC would not power up last night, prolly the power supply is this a DIY?

If it is a tube TV, be very, very careful. There are capacitors in them that can kill you. If it is a flat panel, the voltage will be much lower, but could still be significant. My only other concern is that the power supply may be built right on to the main board and not an easily replaceable item. If it's dead, it certainly isn't going to hurt anything to give it a shot.

Keeping track of the 15-20 tiny screws that came out of that was a nightmare.

I have a magnetic tray that I got from harbor freight, it makes it much easier to keep track of small parts when you're working on a project. Even putting a strong magnet under a small pan would serve the same purpose if you have them laying around.

It's an HD flat screen. Many others have suggested the power supply is prolly in the board.

When I do projects like this I use a divided talke type containor and put each screw in it' own section so I'll know how to go back when reassembling...

It's an HD flat screen. Many others have suggested the power supply is prolly in the board.

When I do projects like this I use a divided talke type containor and put each screw in it' own section so I'll know how to go back when reassembling...

I used to use a couple strips of masking tape and I would place them in roughly the same layout when I took them out. I'm not that anal anymore.