Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic

Is the new Mission padded shirt the New Beer Leaguer Preferred Shoulder Pads?

Interesting write up for this product:

"making this a shirt great for roller players looking for top notch protection or ice players who may be in a non-contact league but want the peace of mind of being well protected."

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=MPROS

I tried to find this shirt, on the Mission page, to see if Mission is marketing it like this also, but it does not look like Mission has uploaded this item to their page yet.

Having just recently gotten back into playing ice hockey, I cannot believe all of the people who play ice hockey without shoulder pads. When I used to play, everyone wore the flimsy Cooper pads that we like $45.99, I forget what they are called, but they look like a model that some guys prefer these days, that are just really thin and light and offer little protection (but enough to diffuse alot of the impacts that are transgressed). In the 5 or 6 times that I have been back on the ice, I have taken a hard slap shot which grazed my elbow pad, another one off of my glove, another one that went right under my arm pit, and a plethora of other random spots (nothing to the chest yet, but close enough that I am glad to be wearing my shoudlies). I just cannot see not protecting the chest (or face, for that matter, with a cage/shield) from these occasions. I suppose I doubt that the "no shoulder pad" enthusiasts will try this, but it will be interesting to see if these spring up in the future "Looking for a low profile, light shoulder pad for Beer League" threads," and become the shouldie of choice for these guys.

Anyone used these? I play in a rec league with no hitting so shoulder pads are absolutely useless, they are just bulky and get in the way, but I wear them cause i'm scared of taking a hard shot in the heart, I'm just wondering what kinda chest protection these would offer, cause this is the exact product i'm looking for

I've used the step down from these (thorax) and the RBK padded shirts for the last 10 years. It's just enough padding where a stick or puck doesn't hurt too bad. Prior to that I wore no shoulder pads in beer league. The Mission Thorax has plastic inserts. The one in the OP looks more like the Down Low Shoulder pads, probably quite good for beer league, but I can't say from experience with that model.

I really wish someone would make one of these with either a looser fit or a compression fit and long sleeves. I like wearing a long sleeve base layer and all of these padded shirts are too hot/tight to wear over that base. I tried the RBK one that has long sleeves (the under part of their 2-piece shoulder pad system) but that is actually too loose for my liking.

I really wish someone would make one of these with either a looser fit or a compression fit and long sleeves. I like wearing a long sleeve base layer and all of these padded shirts are too hot/tight to wear over that base. I tried the RBK one that has long sleeves (the under part of their 2-piece shoulder pad system) but that is actually too loose for my liking.

I know what you mean, the padded shirts are pretty warm, wearing anything else under/over them is too hot for me.I switch to the sleeveless one in summer because it ventilates better and I'm more worried about protecting my torso than my shoulders. You could take sleeves from a compression shirt you have and sew them onto one of the mission/rbk padded shirts?

I wear the thorax most of the time with the sherwood 9950 on top just for some protection on the shoulders and added plastic on the chest.

With or without the 9950, the thorax seems just as warm as regular shoulder pads. I like to have something on my upper body due to all the crazy slap shots flying in the lower and mixed leagues I play in, plus I am not good enough to avoid all the hazards that some of the better players can.

That being said these new missions look like a great combo! Hopefully, I will get re-employed soon so I can get back on the ice. When I do, I might put that shirt into consideration, even though I don't particularly like compression stuff.

I think shoulder pads are so good now a days that the need for a padded shirt doesn't make sense. Why not try the CCM CL. They are probably lighter and cooler...

I think shoulder pads are so good now a days that the need for a padded shirt doesn't make sense. Why not try the CCM CL. They are probably lighter and cooler...

I don't like the added bulk. I've tried on the CL and they're nice, but they make my shoulders feel very wide, as do just about every other shoulder pad out there. I'm of the minority though, I wore Sher-Wood 5030's to play NCAA hockey just so I could have something with minimal bulk.

Honestly, I really thought about it, but the cost of the CLs was not in my budget. I have gone from eastons to reebok to warriors and they have all been too hot for me. The shirt/light pad combo works slightly better but I was debating just adding some shoulder caps to the shirt.

For some reason I get really hot in my upper body when I exercise, so I am not sure I'll ever feel really "comfortable" in any upper body pad. I might see if I can get some second hand CLs or try these new missions in the future. We'll see ... I need to concentrate on getting a damned job first!

FYI

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=MELITES

I have a reebok paddaed shirt that I use for roller and ice. I haven't taken any pucks to it yet.. But I feel like if I took a full on slapper, it would still hurt quite a bit..But I guess it would protect ribs and is better than nothing.

I wear a Tron padded shirt under a pair of Winnwell shoulder pads. Yes, it's overkill, yes it's very warm, and yes it has protected me in places where the shoulder pads don't protect. With some active former college and junior players with wicked shots playing shinny, I need all the protection I can get.

I wear a Tron padded shirt under a pair of Winnwell shoulder pads. Yes, it's overkill, yes it's very warm, and yes it has protected me in places where the shoulder pads don't protect. With some active former college and junior players with wicked shots playing shinny, I need all the protection I can get.

if your playing some pick up with guys taking full on slappers, so much so that you need to double up on protection, i'd say its time to find a less serious group =)

I saw one of those mission shirts (with the green foam) the other day. I was disappointed that the green part isn't plastic. I'm trying to find something to replace my down low shoulder pads and while I think those are my best bet, they still aren't even close.

Also for whoever recommended some CCM pads - I had some. Multiple pairs (fit05, CL) but I just can't wear normal shoulder pads until I lose a good 40lbs or more.

If you really want to be protected for your pickup games you could just wear this. All the protection you'll ever need from those guys with huge shots. Or you can take Stewie's advice and find a different group, especially if you have to pad up like the Michelin Man to be safe.brian-s-subzero-pro-senior-hockey-goalie

if your playing some pick up with guys taking full on slappers, so much so that you need to double up on protection, i'd say its time to find a less serious group =)

I gotta disagree. I think pick up is the best time to practice taking slap shots, within the organic flow of the game. Sure, you can work on your slapshot when warming up a goalie, but it is not the same as when there are guys moving around and trying to rush the shot/ pressure the puck/ etc. Is this not the reason we wear pads? And if people do not want to get hit with shots, then they have the right to get out of the way (and I won't complain). Shooting lanes comprise about .05% of the ice at any given moment, which leaves 99.95% of the ice available to people to stand within, who do not want anything to do with blocking shots. Besides, the goalies might actually appreciate not being screened, and seeing big shots from the point. Granted, I do not play with guys who have Howitzer slapshots, maybe I would feel differently if I did. I just did take a huge slapshot to the hand the other day in inline, but it was my own fault for being too much in the shooting lane, and not further off to the side.

There is every level of player in these pu games. That's what makes it fun!!!! Just a few who can light it up. We all get a great workout.

If you really want to be protected for your pickup games you could just wear this. All the protection you'll ever need from those guys with huge shots. Or you can take Stewie's advice and find a different group, especially if you have to pad up like the Michelin Man to be safe.brian-s-subzero-pro-senior-hockey-goalie

Ha ha!!!! i have had a few injury issues over the years. I am not going to wimp out and just not play. I used to compete at a higher level. I always wore extra protection after those injuries, but not quite to that extreme. My padded shirt helps me to go in with no fear. I hold back nothing, and while the danglers get around me, they are on the bench GASSED after I make them work a bit harder.

I gotta disagree. I think pick up is the best time to practice taking slap shots, within the organic flow of the game. Sure, you can work on your slapshot when warming up a goalie, but it is not the same as when there are guys moving around and trying to rush the shot/ pressure the puck/ etc. Is this not the reason we wear pads? And if people do not want to get hit with shots, then they have the right to get out of the way (and I won't complain). Shooting lanes comprise about .05% of the ice at any given moment, which leaves 99.95% of the ice available to people to stand within, who do not want anything to do with blocking shots. Besides, the goalies might actually appreciate not being screened, and seeing big shots from the point. Granted, I do not play with guys who have Howitzer slapshots, maybe I would feel differently if I did. I just did take a huge slapshot to the hand the other day in inline, but it was my own fault for being too much in the shooting lane, and not further off to the side.

I get in the way. I better double up on the protection. If I don't crowd the shooting lane, I am not trying. I end up stuck on defence while everyone is trying to be Gretzky. Sometimes being the defenseman gets me the occasional break away. It's fun, even with a stinger on the ankle!!!! While my ability to play against blokes at a higher level is greatly diminished, my desire CERTAINLY is not. But being amply protected greatly decreases my potential of injury, therefore the fear goes away and I try to compete.