Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avery16

hockey officials gear

If you keep your arms warm, your hands will stay warm. I know which rinks are the cold ones so i will put on an extra layer to keep my body and arms warm. Sometimes when it is cold outside (and thus colder in the rink), I'll actually wear an extra layer on my legs.

Bender brings up a good point: it doesn't matter how you feel, what else is going on, or what level the game is. You are often the only (2 or 3) professionals on the ice so you have to act like it. 7AM squirt game? Take it as seriously as the 7PM college varsity game. You are being paid to do a job while everyone else out there is trying their hardest. You are responsible for the game and their safety, and that's a big job. Act like it.

Bender brings up a good point: it doesn't matter how you feel, what else is going on, or what level the game is. You are often the only (2 or 3) professionals on the ice so you have to act like it. 7AM squirt game? Take it as seriously as the 7PM college varsity game. You are being paid to do a job while everyone else out there is trying their hardest. You are responsible for the game and their safety, and that's a big job. Act like it.

Only if more officials thought this way...

For me, I work on balance and flexibility. Since I have a membership at Planet Fitness (cheapest by far), I'm limited when it comes to plyometrics and olympic weight-lifting so I focus on bodyweight exercises. I try to look for exercise that focus on breaking down the stride and push me outside my comfort zone. Running is my ideal way of getting cardio outside the gym. Interested to see what others do (especially those who work higher level hockey).

well its gone off on talking about hockey officials.. a bit of everything.. there are no other threads to discuss hockey referee stuff..

i've found this thread to be quite informative..

Chadd, would it make sense to have a section of the forum specifically for officials? Equipment, rules questions, tips an tricks etc, all in their own space?

well its gone off on talking about hockey officials.. a bit of everything.. there are no other threads to discuss hockey referee stuff..

i've found this thread to be quite informative..

That is not true, there have been quite a few of those topics over the years.

Chadd, would it make sense to have a section of the forum specifically for officials? Equipment, rules questions, tips an tricks etc, all in their own space?

There has not been enough "action" to warrant that to date.

That is not true, there have been quite a few of those topics over the years.

There has not been enough "action" to warrant that to date.

Cool man, no worries. Was just a suggestion. Maybe someday :)

We're always open to suggestion and I will do some research over the weekend to see what the numbers look like.

what is your guys interaction level with coaches as a linesman?

As soon as they know you hear them, they will only get louder and more obnoxious.

what is your guys interaction level with coaches as a linesman?

Depends on the coach(es) and how he\they wants to interact. If he or his assistants are yelling and trying to "help me do my job" a bit to much, well It's really likely to be pretty curt and professional if I can't get them to back down a notch or two & joke a bit.... That part of it depends on whether they really think they can influence my call, or if they are initially trying to "work me" and realize that it won't happen with this old dog. There are a lot of times that we can be the route to communicate tot he Ref when the bench wants it low key IE: doesn't want to stand there and have a conference with the bands, or have the production of skating a captain over and the resulting additional meeting with the other teams captain because his coach wants to know what what the discussion was about. Same goes for talking with the players - especially at higher levels....

any one use the pg combo pants? how is the sizing?

Good pants, sizing is average. Most of the guys I know wear Stevens, regardless of the padding type (there are two kinds of Steven's pants).

I had "custom" Stevens done. I don't know why they took all my measurements since they clearly just took a pair off the shelf and hemmed the bottoms. I can't wear them.

Starting off I'll be wearing black stretch golf pants because I can't find ref pants that fit.

I have been wearing my original pair of PG padded pants for 6 seasons, close to 2000 games and only now are they starting to look a little worn, especially around the zippered rear pocket.

This model is from when PG sewed the padding directly into the pants, they are now producing them with the padding held in place with Velcro (easier for washing I suppose).

Not as much padding as the Stevens pants, especially around the kidney and calf areas, but they don't look as bulky as the Stevens padded pants. The only downside to the padded pants is that they don't fold up very well to fit in your bag.

Not very many retailers carry the PG line.