Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bar down

no more jersey tucking

I saw this as well, they pointed out to a time when the boards didnt have ads and now its odd to see them without them. It also seemed players were tucking their jerseys into the side a little bit and getting away with it.

Gord Miller and Ray Ferarro (Ray is who mentioned the boards)

W H E N they put ads on the jerseys they need to be league wide sales. If not the rich teams will get richer and the poor teams will be giving away the ads. See board ad sales in places like Phoenix and Anaheim.

W H E N they put ads on the jerseys they need to be league wide sales. If not the rich teams will get richer and the poor teams will be giving away the ads. See board ad sales in places like Phoenix and Anaheim.

Agreed, that money should be pooled and split among all the teams equally. Then again, they should be doing that with some of the other funds as well.

How much protection does the NHL think jerseys afford a player?

I would hate for a rule like this to be enforced in my league. I don't tuck my jersey, but I can't stand having my jersey sleeves in my gloves. It's a feel thing.

I have never even heard of tucking sleeves into gloves. How does one secure sleeves into gloves anyway?

I was watching the BUF/TOR game last on NHLN, they were pointing out that both Ennis and Enroth both had their jerseys tucked in. I remember during the 1st intermission (I think) CBC talked with Ennis and asked him about the tuck rule. He has the same problem that I have that we he skates, his jersey naturally tucks. Can you imagine a ref giving him a minor for just playing hockey? Crazy. But we all know that this driven by the potential advertisement opportunities. Sports is more corporate driven and this is a result of that trend.

I have never even heard of tucking sleeves into gloves. How does one secure sleeves into gloves anyway?

Its more that they dont want players pulling sleeves up over the elbow pads. Meaning, the sleeves have to just hang down naturally, which drives some people (including me) nutso.

I was watching the BUF/TOR game last on NHLN, they were pointing out that both Ennis and Enroth both had their jerseys tucked in. I remember during the 1st intermission (I think) CBC talked with Ennis and asked him about the tuck rule. He has the same problem that I have that we he skates, his jersey naturally tucks. Can you imagine a ref giving him a minor for just playing hockey? Crazy. But we all know that this driven by the potential advertisement opportunities. Sports is more corporate driven and this is a result of that trend.

It's hard to believe that an NHL team can't get a player a jersey that's long enough to stay out of his pants.

It's hard to believe that an NHL team can't get a player a jersey that's long enough to stay out of his pants.

I'm one of the types that the jersey naturally will get caught up on the top of the pants and get tucked. It doesn't happen all the time, but I notice it sometimes after a shift or two. I guess my issue with the rule is not so much that the NHL is taking "individuality" out of the game, but what line is there between purposefully tucking and incidental? How much time are the players given to untuck their jersey after a play? What level of discretion is going to be given by the referees for the tuck rule? Obviously, the sleeves over the elbow is easy. To even get the sleeve to stay up takes at least minimal effort by the player. But, so many times the jersey gets caught up in the pants after a shot, hit, or fall. If the play is still alive is the onus on the player to pay attention to his jersey and untuck it? The rule states one warning and then a penalty on the second offense. Will be interesting to see how this rule plays out over the regular season and in those late game deciding moments.

I have no issue with the ripped pants rule. Seems like the league is wanting to tidy up the players appearance a little bit. Kopecky is one player that comes to mind regarding the pants rule. Obviously, there is a safety issue with that, but also I'm sure it's important that players look uniform and "clean". I may have missed it, but what has the rule done regarding the players with long skate laces used for the pants?

I agree but we all know how we feel about our equipment ha. Dress game is important every hockey player. This case is unique because Ennis will be costing his team a minor penalty...

I'm one of the types that the jersey naturally will get caught up on the top of the pants and get tucked. It doesn't happen all the time, but I notice it sometimes after a shift or two. I guess my issue with the rule is not so much that the NHL is taking "individuality" out of the game, but what line is there between purposefully tucking and incidental? How much time are the players given to untuck their jersey after a play? What level of discretion is going to be given by the referees for the tuck rule? Obviously, the sleeves over the elbow is easy. To even get the sleeve to stay up takes at least minimal effort by the player. But, so many times the jersey gets caught up in the pants after a shot, hit, or fall. If the play is still alive is the onus on the player to pay attention to his jersey and untuck it? The rule states one warning and then a penalty on the second offense. Will be interesting to see how this rule plays out over the regular season and in those late game deciding moments.

I have no issue with the ripped pants rule. Seems like the league is wanting to tidy up the players appearance a little bit. Kopecky is one player that comes to mind regarding the pants rule. Obviously, there is a safety issue with that, but also I'm sure it's important that players look uniform and "clean". I may have missed it, but what has the rule done regarding the players with long skate laces used for the pants?

They shouldn't even need a warning. After training camp, practices, etc., they know if the jersey is too short to stay out. Get a longer jersey. There sure seem to be a whole lot of players who don't have this problem, so it's obviously avoidable.

They shouldn't even need a warning. After training camp, practices, etc., they know if the jersey is too short to stay out. Get a longer jersey. There sure seem to be a whole lot of players who don't have this problem, so it's obviously avoidable.

The league is also "cracking down" on guys wearing oversized jerseys. It's a catch 22.

The money should be pooled and shared but the sales don't have to be league wide. You can make a lot more money selling 30 different ads on 30 team jerseys than you likely would selling 1 ad on all 30 jerseys.

Great point!

The money should be pooled and shared but the sales don't have to be league wide. You can make a lot more money selling 30 different ads on 30 team jerseys than you likely would selling 1 ad on all 30 jerseys.

Great idea!

The day they have advertizing on NHL jerseys is the day hockey in the USA starts its decent into hell, IMHO.

I think the european teams look incredibly stupid with all the advertising. Stupid, stupid, stupid.....

Plekanec is a sleeve over the elbow pads guy...always has been. Noticed something tonight...but maybe I was just seeing things. During pregame..it looked like he had a stitch in his jersey near the front of the elbow...to pull/hold the sleeve up, without have to tuck it over the pad. . Tinordi had his pulled up over the elbow pad.

Fast forward to 3:48. On second look, Maybe it isn't stitched...but rather they are just tucked near/around the elbow pad...for the same effect.

Agreed, it's not like having Phoenix or Tampa does anything for a company like Tim Horton's.

Believe it or not the St. Pete Times Forum has a Tim Horton stand. It sells coffee only though, no donuts. I'm sure their profit margin isn't huge but hockey fans in Tampa have had access to Timmy's coffee since last season.

Believe it or not the St. Pete Times Forum has a Tim Horton stand. It sells coffee only though, no donuts. I'm sure their profit margin isn't huge but hockey fans in Tampa have had access to Timmy's coffee since last season.

Damn, that has to be at least 500 miles farther south than any other franchise.

Capitalizing on snow birds and northern transplants. That was part of the reasoning for putting the two Florida teams in the same division as Boston, Toronto, and Montreal.

Wondering if the rule will filter down to the AHL. Jonas Nattenen (sp?) had his jersey tucked all night tonight. Never noticed a warning...or penalty for it.