Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Boston Bruins: 2013-14

Out of hospital and returned with team. ESPN is saying it's an apparent back injury. It really surprises me that he's out and that it is a back injury. I thought it would be blown knee ligaments or a bone break the way his leg folded underneath him. Doesn't sound like he'll be back any time in the immediate future, but it seems to be much better than I was expecting.

Less Bruins and more just a statement about how great hockey players are, in general. Last night Iginla wanted to take an abbreviated loop in Calgary to acknowledge being named the game's #1 star. But, some vets, including Chara, had come out to the bench to watch the crowd receive Iginla. And, he forced Iginla to stay out on the ice and let the crowd's adulation soak in. So, Jarome takes a couple of laps and even gives his old mascot a hand slap. You can see him get happier and more comfortable the longer he is out there. His humility almost got in the way of that experience for him and for the fans.

Jarome's humility and Chara's wisdom. A great display of what is great about the game and the characters drawn to it:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=508186

It looked like the entire Bruins roster had made it to the bench by the time Seidenberg blocked the door for the second lap. They seemed to enjoy the moment as much as if not more than Iginla did which just goes to show how likeable the guy is.

It looked like the entire Bruins roster had made it to the bench by the time Seidenberg blocked the door for the second lap. They seemed to enjoy the moment as much as if not more than Iginla did which just goes to show how likeable the guy is.

Yeah. A truly wonderful moment to see the whole team delight in the recognition of Iginla. It's almost enough to wipe away the memory of the mayhem from last week. I really, really hope that Iginla gets the chance to raise the Cup. Just watching that moment reiterates how much he has meant to the game and how much the game means to him.

One thing that's struck me during the injuries and flu is the organization finally has depth in the minor leagues. Go back five to six years and it would be shocking if even their first rounders were being called up; however, five regulars have been missing, yet the AHLers have played fine.

Didn't see it but rumor has it Kessler had fingers around Marchand's eyes during the scrum. Julien chided Brad for his reaction. You don't see too many coaches that forthright about their own guys.

Sidenote: unusual that any team comes out on the short end of the "class" discussion involving the Canucks.

There's a video of a slightly inebriated Lucic being challenged by a local stiff, presumably because Lucic is, you know, famous.

None of us know what went on, but it's got to stink when somebody you don't know wants to fight you just because your team beat their team.

Very classy, Vancouver.

I have always respected your opinions but I have to politely disagree with you on this one. These acts are idiotic but you are lumping the entire fanbase of the Canucks and/or the city into a category for things that were perpetrated by individuals.

Blaming an entire demographic because of what individuals do is ignorant at best. These people doing these things do so for more reasons than being Canucks fans, perhaps they feel this gives them an excuse to break the law, but my guess is these people would be doing things like this even if there wasn't hockey to give them that excuse.

The shame of it is remembering how thrilled he was to be cheered while hoisting the Cup in his hometown.

This touches on what bothers me most. I've had mixed feelings about Lucic, especially after the hit on Ryan Miller, so I'm coming at this as someone who normally wouldn't have a lot of sympathy for the guy. But, at what point does success cost too much? Lucic has basically lost his hometown. He can't be himself in the place where he was raised, the place that created him. He even has to feel on edge about his family's safety there. How awful. I just can't imagine that. If you don't have your home, what do you have at all? The fame, the wealth, winning the Cup, incidents like this cast a pall on it all. He must sometimes wonder whether it was worth it. So much damage can be done by so few. My heart goes out to Lucic and I'm glad that he's at least putting some fear into the dolt at the bar by discussing legal action against him.

I believe Thornton's appeal has more to do with the NHLPA than Shawn Thornton. Neither Thornton's nor Neal's actions were hockey plays or in direct response to what had just occurred. The PA wants to know where the 10 game difference lies. I think this is more about establishing precedents and clearer criteria than about trying to reduce Thornton's suspension.

There is a growing skepticism toward Shanahan's decisions as they seem to punish the public perception more than the act. Two players can receive concussions but getting off the ice under your own power seems to warrant less of a suspension than being carried off even though the injuries caused are the same.

I believe Thornton's appeal has more to do with the NHLPA than Shawn Thornton. Neither Thornton's nor Neal's actions were hockey plays or in direct response to what had just occurred. The PA wants to know where the 10 game difference lies. I think this is more about establishing precedents and clearer criteria than about trying to reduce Thornton's suspension.

There is a growing skepticism toward Shanahan's decisions as they seem to punish the public perception more than the act. Two players can receive concussions but getting off the ice under your own power seems to warrant less of a suspension than being carried off even though the injuries caused are the same.

That's a pretty reasonable way to describe the situation. I based my expectation on the public image as much as anything.

That easily is the worst news that they've had this year. Blocks too many shots and plays against the other teams' better players most of the time. Now who is gonna get the chance? or is Dougie just about ready to come back?

No Seidenberg was a big loss in 2010 and it will be a big loss this year. Most of the younger defensemen have played well and probably bring better offense, but the only one that seemed to have strong defensive tendencies was Kevan Miller.

On a side note, I think the kid is outstanding and will get even better as his body matures, but twenty years from now, will we look back and say, "Wow, how did Erik Karlsson ever win the Norris?!?!"