Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Over/under on suspensions from the Leafs and Sabres?

Are you including the automatic 10 to Clarkson for leaving the bench in your count...or just doing the "subjective" ones?

And, if he gets any less than 10, I can't wait to see what BizNasty has to say on Twitter.

Kessel's behavior was absolutely abhorrent. Slashing someone in the calves who is engaged in a fight against his teammate who's fighting his battle for him. Can't get any lower and more cowardly than that.

John Scott: 6'8" 270lbs

Phil Kessell: 6'0" 202lbs

Why is it that Phil is being described as cowardly and "abhorrent". You get attakced by a tree...you gotta cut it down. Not saying it's right....but neither is Scot going after Phil in the first place.

Christ. A complete embarrassment for the game of hockey and, let's not forget, a potential tragedy. DeVane driving the back of that Sabres' head into the ice is scary to watch. He's clearly concussed, but that could have easily been a fractured skull or another Steve Moore moment. I can almost forgive Scott for going after Kessel because of what he just saw happen to his teammate but, really, I long for the day when that sort of guy simply has no role on any NHL roster and we've seen our last staged fight.

Why is it that Phil is being described as cowardly and "abhorrent". You get attakced by a tree...you gotta cut it down. Not saying it's right....but neither is Scot going after Phil in the first place.

Hacking someone with a weapon while your friend is holding onto him is pretty cowardly.

DeVane driving the back of that Sabres' head into the ice is scary to watch.

I think that's a stretch, Tropp is out and got him by the sleeves, I'd say he pulled DeVane down with him.

Kessel deserves a few for his swings, and for going back a second time to spear Scott.

4 sounds good

I think that's a stretch, Tropp is out and got him by the sleeves, I'd say he pulled DeVane down with him.

It doesn't matter to me whether it's intentional on DeVane's part or not. It's just the idiocy of the situation and the tremendous potential for career ending (or worse) danger. DeVane's forearm, and most of his weight, is right over Tropp's head as he goes down to the ice. Whether DeVane intentionally drives Trop down or Tropp is unconciously hanging on to DeVane's sleeve and pulls him down, the result could easily have ended in an awful tragedy. Seeing the back of Tropp's head hit the ice with DeVane's weight coming down on top of him is a pretty vivid warning to me. It carries with it shades of the Moore/Bertuzzi incident.

on a positive note.... if Clarkson and Kessel get suspensions does that give the leafs more cap space?

if Clarkson get 10 and Kessel gets 2, does the forefitted salary not go against the cap?

Maybe it was GM Nonis giving him the tap to go over the boards???

Maybe they have enough room to sign Franson now

Everything in this situation starts and ends with Scott trying to go after Kessel. Make no mistake about it, that act is de facto intent to injure. We all know the damage Scott would have done to Kessel if he connected even once. Based on Kessel's reaction, Scott must have said something to get him going. I am curious if the Sabres coach receives a fine.

It doesn't matter to me whether it's intentional on DeVane's part or not. It's just the idiocy of the situation and the tremendous potential for career ending (or worse) danger. DeVane's forearm, and most of his weight, is right over Tropp's head as he goes down to the ice. Whether DeVane intentionally drives Trop down or Tropp is unconciously hanging on to DeVane's sleeve and pulls him down, the result could easily have ended in an awful tragedy. Seeing the back of Tropp's head hit the ice with DeVane's weight coming down on top of him is a pretty vivid warning to me. It carries with it shades of the Moore/Bertuzzi incident.

Comparing this to the Moore/Bertuzzi incident is wrong. Tropp was a willing participant in the fight and Devane didn't have a chance to control his fall. Focus needs to remain on Scott and "players" of his ilk who have no place in the league.

I would have had some respect for Kessell if he would have grab ahold of Scott, pulled in real tight and fell to the ice then what he did. I will give him the 1st chop for self preservation, the 2nd chop when Scott was paired off was complete BS and the fly by spear while Scott was being held was the biggest sissy thing I have seen in a long time. Never had feelings or thought about Kessell before, but now I have no respect for him and I am betting he lost alot from most people, players included. I am not sure what the league's penalties are for blatant intent to injure but I would give Phyllis the max for the 2nd chop and the max for the spear. Both times Scott was unable to defend himself because he was being held and Kessell didn't take it easy on any of the hacks. Best thing he could do is next time the teams play ask Scott for a rematch and answer the bell or match up with a middle weight, I'm sure the Sabers have a few volunteers. Then after that let the big boys go at it to settle things down. Even Lemieux did that when McCarty went at him for his hit on Draper.

I love people like this who say they would have simply wrapped up with Scott and pulled him down. That's what I'd want, that knuckledragger on top of me on the ice. Get real people.

Edit: Claude Lemieux has some 3-4 inches and 20 pounds on McCarty, not to mention actually did something to deserve an ass kicking. What did Kessel do that warranted Scott trying to kill him?

Hacking someone with a weapon while your friend is holding onto him is pretty cowardly.

I'm not saying it isn't...I just wonder why the initial jump by Scott on a guy half his size is not getting any play as "Cowardly". Sure the hacks are bad....although....the first one seems less abhorrent, and going bad into the mele (??) to speer him is definitely worth a game or 2 on it's own. I figure Phil gets 2-3.

As for the money coming off the Cap...I don't think susepended players come off the Cap. Long term injuries do, but I don't think suspensions do.

Both Scott and Kessel acted like cowards on the play. No way Scott should be going after Kessel, and the same time; Kessels play was disgusting. Man up and at least drop the gloves and turtle... Would have prevented this whole incident. Kessel should get a least two, Clarkson gets the automatic 10 (although I respect his decision) and that should be it in terms of suspensions. Had Kessel done only the original slash I think they would have let it go, but going back into the mess after he bailed from the fight was ridiculous.

As far as DeVane is concerned, there wasn't much he could have done. Tropp had him by the sleeves and accidentally pulled him down while falling. Whether he was unconscious or not, it's a common thing to grab a hold of something while you're falling down just as a reaction. I don't think he was unconscious while falling so that would be the only logical explanation.

This is why star players shouldn't be playing in preseason games, or coaches need to be more mindful of who they are on the ice against. John Scott probably won't make Buffalo's roster as what you see in the video above is more or less all he can do at the NHL level. There's no need to have AHL/ECHL tweeners taking runs at NHL regulars for 30 seconds of fame.

He was on the Rangers roster for a period of time as well and was a healthy scratch 9 out of 10 games. Depends on your definition of "on the team." Then again, Buffalo is terrible so that is a much easier roster to crack I presume.

Not defending it or condoning it. But I would say Kessel's first swing was simply a fight or flight instinctual act of self preservation at being faced with what was pretty close to a life or death situation. Kessel followed up with the second swing that was probably a good dose of rage at having been placed in the first situation. As far as dropping the gloves and trying to pull him in close, all it would have taken was one swing to connect and Kessel could have had his face caved in and spent the first part of the season on IR. now the spear, that was pretty much just stupidity.

Are you including the automatic 10 to Clarkson for leaving the bench in your count...or just doing the "subjective" ones?

And, if he gets any less than 10, I can't wait to see what BizNasty has to say on Twitter.

Is he still in the league?

Kessel's behavior was absolutely abhorrent. Slashing someone in the calves who is engaged in a fight against his teammate who's fighting his battle for him. Can't get any lower and more cowardly than that.

I have no problem with his slashes in order to try and prevent an ass kicking, though I agree with going back after the guy once he was engaged with someone else.

Everything in this situation starts and ends with Scott trying to go after Kessel. Make no mistake about it, that act is de facto intent to injure. We all know the damage Scott would have done to Kessel if he connected even once. Based on Kessel's reaction, Scott must have said something to get him going. I am curious if the Sabres coach receives a fine.

Comparing this to the Moore/Bertuzzi incident is wrong. Tropp was a willing participant in the fight and Devane didn't have a chance to control his fall. Focus needs to remain on Scott and "players" of his ilk who have no place in the league.

I was wondering if Rolston sent that line out with instructions or if Scott is that stupid.

on a positive note.... if Clarkson and Kessel get suspensions does that give the leafs more cap space?

if Clarkson get 10 and Kessel gets 2, does the forefitted salary not go against the cap?

Maybe it was GM Nonis giving him the tap to go over the boards???

Maybe they have enough room to sign Franson now

A bunch of the games will be served in the preseason, negating/reducing any impact to the cap.

It is going to be interesting to see how the Buffalo side of this incident plays out. Scott telling Kessel that he is going to jump him sure adds some nice premeditation to things.

I'm wondering about the conversation between Scott and Kessel before the fight. I see Scott bending down, two hands on his stick, and Kessel's right hand starting to move toward Scott's head, before Scott gets his gloves off and hands up. Scott was obviously ready, since his reaction was extremely quick. So if Kessel actually initiated getting physical, then swung his stick and ran, it looks even worse for him.

From what Scott has said everyone new what was going to happen and that there was no way the coach should have put Kessell in, he said he would have went with anyone in blue. From listening to Scott talk he told Kessell what was about to happen and said he had no intention of hurting Kessell, which I can see since after Kessell got away Scott just seamed to grapple with Clarkson.

The stats I looked at have Lemieux an inch shorter and 5 lbs lighter than McCarty. Kessell didn't do anything to warrant Scott's fight, according to Scott the Sabers were not happy with what happened previously and he was the unlucky person the coach put next to him.