Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Over/under on suspensions from the Leafs and Sabres?

So if Kessel actually initiated getting physical, then swung his stick and ran, it looks even worse for him.

Based on Kessel's reaction, Scott must have said something to get him going.

Kessel claims Scott told him before the faceoff that he was going to jump him. Based on the reaction I don't think Kessel thought he was serious.

I am curious if the Sabres coach receives a fine.

This wouldn't surprise me, and the TSN analysts seem to agree. Scott was clearly sent out for a reason.

Tropp was a willing participant in the fight and Devane didn't have a chance to control his fall.

If you watch the replay, Tropp is actually the one who challenged Devane. You really can't blame Devane for what happened. If Tropp hadn't hit his head, we wouldn't be talking about any of this today.

As far as Clarkson.. yea. Idiotic move. No question. I'm all for guys standing up for their teammates, but 10 games was not worth it. Does the coach get fined for a player hopping the boards? IMO they probably should.

coaches need to be more mindful of who they are on the ice against.

The unfortunate part is that Carlyle sent out the Kessel line with the thinking that putting his skilled guys on the ice would prevent a situation after the Devane fight. Clearly he was wrong, and he fully admits to that.

As for Kessel... I'm 100% fine with the first swing. He wanted no part of it, and Scott already had his gloves off. This certainly didn't appear to be one of those situations where a guy can just say no and skate away. He had to chop him down to give his mates time to step in. The second chop though... absolutely classless and uncalled for. NOT COOL. And the spear at the end was just icing on the cake.

I would give Kessel 5 games if it werent for the situation he was put into. Those two chops and the spear are definitely worth 5 games, but I think Shanny will take into consideration the situation he was forced into. I agree with the earlier post that said two games for Kessel.

I was however happy to see Kessel hold his own (and arguably win the fight) against somebody who was actually his size and not a heavyweight goon. Bernier beating down Miller was unnecessary but damn if it wasn't exciting. Who doesn't love a good goalie fight??

Now, does Scott get anything? Despite being the obvious instigator of this entire mess, he didn't technically break any rules did he? I don't think he does, but maybe the coach gets fined. Hard to say.

Just got a chance to see this-all I can say is Shanny's video should be interesting. Glad I don't have to sort all this out.

I hadn't even thought of that. Yea, I'm curious to see him break all this down.

Just got a chance to see this-all I can say is Shanny's video should be interesting. Glad I don't have to sort all this out.

The Leafs may have to contact the Blue Jays hitting coach to work on Kessel's swing

The Leafs may have to contact the Blue Jays hitting coach to work on Kessel's swing

I don't think you'd want to talk to the blue jays about how to swing...

The only possible defense he could throw out there would be if a Leaf changed with him right when everything started. A lot of times during Bruins games if trouble starts at a whistle then the closest Bruin will head to the bench and Shawn Thornton will hop on to police the situation.

The only possible defense he could throw out there would be if a Leaf changed with him right when everything started. A lot of times during Bruins games if trouble starts at a whistle then the closest Bruin will head to the bench and Shawn Thornton will hop on to police the situation.

When it happens right off the faceoff, that isn't even remotely possible

if Clarkson get 10 and Kessel gets 2, does the forefitted salary not go against the cap?

Maybe it was GM Nonis giving him the tap to go over the boards???

Maybe they have enough room to sign Franson now

what? of course it does. the team doesn't get a financial break because a player gets fined/suspended. the forfeited money, from what i remember, gets put into an aid fund.

When it happens right off the faceoff, that isn't even remotely possible

Closest defenseman heads straight to the bench and he hops on. That would have been the only leg he would have to stand on. Thornton does it all the time. Watch any Bruins game and you'll see Thornton arrive late to the party during scrums that originated when he wasn't on the ice.

Closest defenseman heads straight to the bench and he hops on. That would have been the only leg he would have to stand on. Thornton does it all the time. Watch any Bruins game and you'll see Thornton arrive late to the party during scrums that originated when he wasn't on the ice.

You're right about that. But all five guys are at center ice when Clarkson jumps on. He has no leg to stand on with an appeal. Watch the video again starting at 1:41. By 1:46 when he jumps on, he is #6...

Had the puck actually been dropped? Heard that on the radio today, and they were saying that might be the angle Clarkson will take. I don't know how the rule is written or anything, and I also don't know if the puck was actually dropped but could be an interesting take.

**EDIT** - Sabres coach has been fined for player selection.

Interesting that the coach got fined but there has been nothing mentioned about anything supplemental for Scott. I would have thought he'd at least get a game for being a knucklehead.

The video clearly shows Clarkson jumping on after Kessel's first swing. There is no excuse.

Surprised Kessel is only pre-season, but maybe Shanahan took into account the situation.

Interesting that the coach got fined but there has been nothing mentioned about anything supplemental for Scott. I would have thought he'd at least get a game for being a knucklehead.

The coach being fined isn't surprising, but honestly Scott did nothing against the rules. Against "the code" yes, against the rules no.

The way he's describing the event seems to suggest he would have got nothing for the first slash, and it was the second one that landed him the 3 games. (Combined with some more stick work from previous pre-season games... he's really got to control his temper, as much as I like seeing Kessel have a bit of emotion.)

I am pissed they did not even mention the final spear in the punishment video. This hot head should have got a lot longer.

I am pissed they made no mention of the spear well after things were over between the two. He should have got a few games in the regular season too.

I was surprised the spear wasn't mentioned. Apparently they didn't take it seriously. At least they noted that Kessel likes to whack people with his stick.

It's worth noting that Scott was ignoring Kessel after being engaged by another opponent. It didn't seem that he was particularly interested in Kessel.

It's worth noting that Scott was ignoring Kessel after being engaged by another opponent. It didn't seem that he was particularly interested in Kessel.

Yea, the second whack was definitely what got him the suspension.

I understand the reasoning for giving the coach a fine, other than Clarkson he is the only one that has to come out of pocket with money. What I don't understand is that Kessell received what amounts to nothing. He is suspended for the remainder of the preseason - 3 games. There is no monitary fine because players do not get paid for preseason. He has a roster spot for the season and is not at risk of losing it so he has nothing to prove or gain in these games. He doesn't have to worry about injury or even travel. Sounds like the NHL did him a favor. You would think with the active stick he had a few days before they would have made the suspension 2 regular season games. I've never really paid much attention to Kessell but would like to know if he has a habit of swinging his stick. It will be interesting to see if players try to provoke him into slashing.