Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hellaavangard

Interesting article on Adam Oates and (his players') sticks

He got a couple guys in Jersey to switch to the same curve that Stamkos uses. It's my understanding that he was responsible for Stamkos' change and Oates suggests that same curve to a lot of people.

He got a couple guys in Jersey to switch to the same curve that Stamkos uses. It's my understanding that he was responsible for Stamkos' change and Oates suggests that same curve to a lot of people.

I thought Stamkos used something really close to the retail Sakic?

Oates tweaked it a bit

How did it change? I'm interested in knowing what kind of curve helps those laser one-timers.

How did it change? I'm interested in knowing what kind of curve helps those laser one-timers.

Something in the ACTG plus lots of practice.

Here is another article from last year for some additional info on his thoughts.

http://dumpnchase.monumentalnetwork.com/2013/01/13/and-so-it-begins/index.jsp

And here is an excerpt from a Wash Post article around the same timeframe

One of Oates’s idiosyncrasies throughout his career as both a player and coach is his passion for offering advice about stick-blade curvature. He’s suggested changes to a few Capitals already this year and, so far, there’s only one player Oates coached who didn’t need to receive the sales pitch: Stamkos.

Oates liked Stamkos’s pattern so much that it’s the stick he uses to this day in practices.

“I was lucky. He loves my curve and he tries to get everyone to use my curve so I didn’t have to hear the speech,” Stamkos said with a laugh. “Just hearing him talk about the little things like that and if you think about it, how big of a difference it can make along the boards, getting a shot off quick, taking or receiving a pass. Little things that you never really think of he’s able to break it down.”

The curve has nothing to do with it, that's all because of the player.

Here is another article from last year for some additional info on his thoughts.

http://dumpnchase.monumentalnetwork.com/2013/01/13/and-so-it-begins/index.jsp

And here is an excerpt from a Wash Post article around the same timeframe

One of Oates’s idiosyncrasies throughout his career as both a player and coach is his passion for offering advice about stick-blade curvature. He’s suggested changes to a few Capitals already this year and, so far, there’s only one player Oates coached who didn’t need to receive the sales pitch: Stamkos.

Oates liked Stamkos’s pattern so much that it’s the stick he uses to this day in practices.

“I was lucky. He loves my curve and he tries to get everyone to use my curve so I didn’t have to hear the speech,” Stamkos said with a laugh. “Just hearing him talk about the little things like that and if you think about it, how big of a difference it can make along the boards, getting a shot off quick, taking or receiving a pass. Little things that you never really think of he’s able to break it down.”

Thanks, that clears up the one thing I wasn't sure about. Stamkos was already using that curve.

The curve has nothing to do with it, that's all because of the player.

Thanks, that clears up the one thing I wasn't sure about. Stamkos was already using that curve.

I know it's all about the player, but I don't think his one-timer would be as good with a curve like Perron's. Anyone have a pic of Stamkos' curve btw? I seem to recall it was very similar to a Sakic.

I know it's all about the player, but I don't think his one-timer would be as good with a curve like Perron's.

You can think whatever you want but the curve has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I know it's all about the player, but I don't think his one-timer would be as good with a curve like Perron's. Anyone have a pic of Stamkos' curve btw? I seem to recall it was very similar to a Sakic.

Kovalchuk has a similar curve family to Perron's and he has a similar laser one-timer on PP's. Give Stamkos 5-minutes to adjust to a straight blade or even a lefty stick and he'd probably still be nailing those shots.

its the archer not the arrow. He could probably hold a left handed stick right handed and have a bomb with the backhand side of the stick.

Curve has little to nothing to do with velocity.

Adam Oates recommended: Higher Lie, More upright stance, Longer Blade...

It's really interesting for me - how more upright stance give better stride and why higher lie better - mb for shoting?

Except for speed skating instructors, I was thinking the uprightness would be more desirable for what he's looking for, which is being able to make a play in whatever direction suddenly, without having to adjust body position or whatever. For pure skating purposes, that's not optimal, but for skating while puck controlling, a straight back and upright stance makes more sense.

Except for speed skating instructors, I was thinking the uprightness would be more desirable for what he's looking for, which is being able to make a play in whatever direction suddenly, without having to adjust body position or whatever. For pure skating purposes, that's not optimal, but for skating while puck controlling, a straight back and upright stance makes more sense.

Ideally, you want the bend in the knees and not in the back. A lot of players, even at the pro level, do not skate with an ideal form.

For optimal skating speed, definitely bend the knees, first and foremost do this, but on top of that "cat back" polishes your form for efficiency. But again, when you're handling a puck and trying to be aware of a play that's continually happening that curved back could hurt more than it helps. Plus yes, a lot of people start by bending at their waist, and don't bend their knees until taught to do so. For hockey purposes, cat back is probably a trade off in less skating efficiency (though not even much probably) for better mental and manual activity.

For optimal skating speed, definitely bend the knees, first and foremost do this, but on top of that "cat back" polishes your form for efficiency. But again, when you're handling a puck and trying to be aware of a play that's continually happening that curved back could hurt more than it helps. Plus yes, a lot of people start by bending at their waist, and don't bend their knees until taught to do so. For hockey purposes, cat back is probably a trade off in less skating efficiency (though not even much probably) for better mental and manual activity.

You can't play hockey when you're bent over like a speed skater. That form should only be used for a stride or two at a time in order to generate speed, not all the time.