Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mulletman

Jerseys at training

Hi.

This is my first post here.

I am doing a beginner class of ice hockey and I obviously need a jersey to wear over my gear.

Is it ok to wear an oilers jersey with gretsky on the back at a rink? It's not some kind of sacred jersey? I am not form a country where we have NHL so i have no idea!

Thanks guys

Hi.

This is my first post here.

I am doing a beginner class of ice hockey and I obviously need a jersey to wear over my gear.

Is it ok to wear an oilers jersey with gretsky on the back at a rink? It's not some kind of sacred jersey? I am not form a country where we have NHL so i have no idea!

Thanks guys

Wear it proud, if anything, it'll be a good luck charm.

It's one thing to wear an Oilers jersey with Gretzky 99 on the back than to be playing in the Swedish Elite League or the WHL and rocking the number 99, now that could be seen as "not right".

Most guys I've seen wearing Gretzky jerseys or even just 99's get a little bit of grief for it, but I expect that if you are a beginner, most people would think you were being self deprecating or tongue in cheek and would take it well and have a friendly chuckle over it.

You should buy a cheap practice jersey! If you wear your Gretzky jersey it will get damaged from pucks, sticks, and the velcro on your equipment. If I saw someone wearing a Gretzky jersey on the ice, I'd either think they were new and didn't have a real practice jersey, or they really wanted to pay homage to the Great One.

I am confused with the reference to the great one and #99. The one which we should refer to as "the great one" wore #4.

Get a practice jersey!

I didn't know Jackie Gleason played, let alone wore #4.

I can see giving a guy wearing #99 as his league jersey a hard time (kind of like the jackass that wears #69) but I don't see the problem with wearing an actual Gretzky jersey. He was a hero to a lot of kids...

You'll get a sarcastic "Nice pass Gretz" here and there, but it's all in good fun. If you're comfortable with it just go ahead and wear it.

I would be surprised for anyone to really say anything if you are wearing a Gretzky jersey. It would be different if you had your own jersey with the number 99 on it.

OK here is my take. Get a practice jersey. Most you will be playing w/ are novice too but why stick out at this point?