Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

endomaniac

Skate Radius- 10 ft versus 11ft

This was my finding exactly. Not only that, I've paper traced the supposed 10ft and 11ft steels, tried to eyeball the amount of blade contact on a granite surface, used a flash light etc etc (lol yeah, I'm that anal)..... NO difference. On ice experience...... BIG difference.

Exactly, you wouldn't believe how many customers I get who email me after they get their blades who are all mad accusing me of doing nothing to their blades. it's hard to explain to someone who doesn't understand radius how very slight the change is visually, but on the ice, the result is huge.

still kinda baffled why he would be using a blade in that shape. it isnt rocket science to know that is not an optimal blade height with blade so worn down toe and heel wise. Every pic I can find they are like that, Most are easier to tell he has a ton of blade on the ice with toe and heel rounded right off. But you can see in most on a hard push off the boot is hitting the ice.

I agree here, you have to be a very upright skater to use that thin of a blade. Again he doesnt have a massive stride either.

And now working with people involved with stride mechanics and the with others that test the profile logic pitch amount and so on. It's amazing how some of these guys play with what they have and like. If they were to just try an optimum blade set more for there stride it would be a huge improvement.

I can think of a couple I have worked with that were like wow so thats what that does.....??? this players message to me was "guys had tried this taller blade but I didnt like it" I asked did they profile to match the old style blade you had? " No would that make a difference?" He says. I order the player a set to try he was blown away once they matched his profile and ordered 4 more sets. And were talking when he played one of the better players in the league but because he was s tuck in his ways and the trainers didnt want to push a guy that had been in the league for so long he didnt change. After he did though he had a pretty darn good season! It's all how you approach it with anyone new players or seasoned NHL player.

This is ridiculously interesting stuff. Anyone know where I can go to read up more on this stuff? I'd love to know the science of skate sharpening and how it effects your on-ice performance.

Thanks. I'll look her up, also found a wealth of info just by googling science of skate sharpening. Amazing stuff.

Now would you guys put the % of players that know about this at 5%? I mean, unless you're really in the know, then this must be a highly overlooked part of your equipment.

It varies player to player. Some guys can tell the smallest variance in radius and the like where other guys will adapt their skating to the skate without even thinking about it. I have always been a believer in finding your best stride/skating motion that you are comfortable with and then tailoring the skate to match that and not the other way around.

I agree here, you have to be a very upright skater to use that thin of a blade. Again he doesnt have a massive stride either.

No? I'd have to disagree very much.

As far as skating style, very similar to Hossa and Malkin, which IMO, not truly upright. Sure, his back is straight with his neck, but he has huge amount of knee bend and forward flex at the waist.

http://media.wbur.org/wordpress/10/files/2013/06/0531_oag_jagr.jpg

In fact he is one of the most unique skaters in that regard, but his power and balance is unmatched.

As others note, personal preference rules all, even what may be better scientifically or using common sense. Just look at stick blade pattern variations between star players.

No? I'd have to disagree very much.

As far as skating style, very similar to Hossa and Malkin, which IMO, not truly upright. Sure, his back is straight with his neck, but he has huge amount of knee bend and forward flex at the waist.

http://media.wbur.org/wordpress/10/files/2013/06/0531_oag_jagr.jpg

In fact he is one of the most unique skaters in that regard, but his power and balance is unmatched.

As others note, personal preference rules all, even what may be better scientifically or using common sense. Just look at stick blade pattern variations between star players.

that is not a major knee bend, but it is a good amount..... He also might have shorter strides Point is with that little blade you ARE HIttingt he holder if you are very deep in the knee with a long stride. I woulnd agree on Malkin or hossa. its just a small amount of blade height before hitting the holder

Some good points although the parallels between Jagr and Malkin's skating style are extremely similar.

watched him last night and he is much more upright.

Are they no one who are a p.bure expert? Man I love the way he skates. Fast like running on hia skate. Yet agile. Its a mystery for me but I would be happy if someone knows radius, skating style ect. The video where somedude was explaining to some kids was well I looked like those kid, absolutely clueless :D