Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AIREAYE

Leafs vs Oilers game (29/10/13) to be broadcast in China

As per the Leafs Twitter, tonight's Leafs vs Oilers matchup will be broadcast on national TV in China (CCTV 5) for the first time ever! I'm absolutely ecstatic! Definitely a historic moment, especially for me.

man that's historic

missed pretty much the first two rounds of the playoffs when I was in Beijing this summer. couldve gotten up early to catch the west coast games at breakfast hour in one of the few canadian-owned bars in the city, but otherwise we were SOL.

for sure the ratings for the live broadcasts wont be great, but re-runs, who knows. might be a start of an actual NHL push into china.

That worked out pretty well! I wish they showed a Leafs home game to get that crowd into it! It was amusing to hear the play by play guys explain the game, provide color commentary on stuff (Kessel trade for one haha) and translate English names into Mandarin. I think that there will be two more NHL games that will be shown in November as well, not sure who; sad to say I'm illiterate LOL. Games on CCTV 5+, not 5.

Goals from Ka Sa Erh (2), Ka Da Li and Li Mei Di Si Kuh. Shutout for Li Mei. :laugh::popcorn:

Is there a link to the broadcast...? I'd be intereested in hearng the cadence of a hockey game in Mandarin.

I'd like to see it too. My wife just about dies laughing when she hears the Punjabi broadcasts.

That worked out pretty well! I wish they showed a Leafs home game to get that crowd into it! It was amusing to hear the play by play guys explain the game, provide color commentary on stuff (Kessel trade for one haha) and translate English names into Mandarin. I think that there will be two more NHL games that will be shown in November as well, not sure who; sad to say I'm illiterate LOL. Games on CCTV 5+, not 5.

Goals from Ka Sa Erh (2), Ka Da Li and Li Mei Di Si Kuh. Shutout for Li Mei. :laugh::popcorn:

I get severe migraines just thinking about how to translate all the team/player names and hockey lingo into mandarin. maybe it would be a bit more bearable for someone who speaks only mandarin, but I have a tough time making the mental adjustment. how to tell the canucks and the canadiens apart, for one thing.

Is there a link to the broadcast...? I'd be intereested in hearng the cadence of a hockey game in Mandarin.

No, I don't think so. One can watch CCTV 5, which is a regular national channel (sports channel, a lot of NBA) online, but the hockey was on CCTV 5+, which is apparently some kind of supplementary channel. I watched it on my dad's...TV box? He sourced it for watching dramas, news and such lol

One of the play-by-play guys went crazy after the 3rd or 4th Leaf goal, was cool to see haha.

I'd like to see it too. My wife just about dies laughing when she hears the Punjabi broadcasts.

Way to make your wife sound like an ignorant teenager LOL

I get severe migraines just thinking about how to translate all the team/player names and hockey lingo into mandarin. maybe it would be a bit more bearable for someone who speaks only mandarin, but I have a tough time making the mental adjustment. how to tell the canucks and the canadiens apart, for one thing.

It's not too hard for player names. It's all phonetic. Each Chinese character/word is one syllable, so you would just use common phonetics to 'spell out', or, more accurately, 'sound out' a name. What's your background?

More difficult would be team names, which have the possibility for both an awkward sounding phonetic translation (which I've never heard) as well as a literal or loose meaning translation. For example, the Leafs were literally translated as 'Feng Ye Dui' or 'Maple Leaf Team' (with every team being described as xx Team) and the Pens with the Chinese equivalent of 'penguin'. The Oilers however, could be loosely translated as the 'You Ren Dui" or the 'Oil Men Team' which still sounds pretty cool to me. But then, when they were going through the many highlight packs from different games, I had a very hard time making out their translation for the Wild, or Predators for example.