Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

Colorado Avalanche

It helps that Giggy has been playing well in his starts and has been a starter in his career. He knows what he needs to do to prepare to play a larger share of the games at this level. If it had been a younger backup, I thing it may have been a bigger issue. I'm hoping for the sake of everyone involved that it has been blown out of proportion and was not as bad as it sounds.

It helps that Giggy has been playing well in his starts and has been a starter in his career. He knows what he needs to do to prepare to play a larger share of the games at this level. If it had been a younger backup, I thing it may have been a bigger issue. I'm hoping for the sake of everyone involved that it has been blown out of proportion and was not as bad as it sounds.

Too bad he isn't a NBA, NFL, or MLB player or this would have been dismissed and forgotten and no action taken :eye roll:

Same thoughts here. There are many older goalies that are/have been the the number 1 for other teams though it will be good to give him the rest that's needed, and if the schedule continues the way it has for the avs it's spaced out nicely. but I think at this point you can but any goaltender in there and it wouldn't cool them off.

Wow, that's a crazy situation. Have they said much beyond their initial press release as far as how it will affect his availability? What's typical in this kind of situation?

Wow, that's a crazy situation. Have they said much beyond their initial press release as far as how it will affect his availability? What's typical in this kind of situation?

Very little detail so far, only that he won't get bail until he sees a judge first. Usually they won't throw charges like that around against high profile people without some proof, but something just feels odd to me about this one.

Varly is an odd guy. He has a quote a few years ago that raised some eyebrows about women.

"I have a true love, so I don't look at any other women. You know, I'm
extremely fortunate that I met a Russian girl in America. It's difficult to look
at a lot of the local women. You get the feeling that just don't take care of
themselves! There are an awful lot of heavyset ones. But Russian girls have nice
trim figures. I couldn't imagine myself being with an American girl."

My guess is that he's out for awhile. He won't be able to leave the state even when he does post bail. Factor in that he isn't a citizen and here on a working visa, I doubt this sees a quick resolution unless it's a giant misunderstanding.

One of the reports I saw said he turned himself in? Also there is a kidnapping charge which could honestly be anyones guess as what that really is. like you said chadd, odd.

Kidnapping could be using force or threat of violence to keep someone from leaving or even just not stopping to let someone out of the car who really wants out. It will be curious to see what comes of this situation

in Russian press, a head of the sports committee in Russian parlament suggested that this is a political provocation ahead of the Olympic Games in Sochi, considering that Varlamov is a member of the Russian Olympic squad. I chuckled over that news bit.

on a serious note, women can drive men crazy...

on a serious note, women can drive men crazy...

Bill burr (the red head henchman of Saul in breaking bad) had a standup when he goes over this. He says how women specifically do things to make you crazy and they deserve to be hit, they shouldn't actually be and never should, but the things they do rectify those feelings. Its a pretty funny but and ends with him walking around the house playing acdc full blast to get back at his wife.

Kidnapping could be using force or threat of violence to keep someone from leaving or even just not stopping to let someone out of the car who really wants out. It will be curious to see what comes of this situation

And yeah this what I mean, there is a bit of grey area, it ranges from standing in front of an exit to tied up and gagged in some deep woods hideout.

Varly is an odd guy. He has a quote a few years ago that raised some eyebrows about women.

"I have a true love, so I don't look at any other women. You know, I'm
extremely fortunate that I met a Russian girl in America. It's difficult to look
at a lot of the local women. You get the feeling that just don't take care of
themselves! There are an awful lot of heavyset ones. But Russian girls have nice
trim figures. I couldn't imagine myself being with an American girl."

My guess is that he's out for awhile. He won't be able to leave the state even when he does post bail. Factor in that he isn't a citizen and here on a working visa, I doubt this sees a quick resolution unless it's a giant misunderstanding.

so insensitive to the American obesity epidemic ... sheeesh!! :facepalm:

24 hours later Downie (who was part of one of the hottest lines in hockey) gets traded off a team that is 10-1 for a return that doesn't make any sense for Colorado. I have my theories... :ph34r:

It doesn't make sense to me either. Only thing I see is there will be less time with downie in the sin bin, but he was that line won't have the same protection. Penalties have been a little rampant in some of the avs games this season, so who knows.

What I was insinuating that there is an off-ice event, or series of events that drove this trade, likely related to the Varlamov incident given the timing.

What I was insinuating that there is an off-ice event, or series of events that drove this trade, likely related to the Varlamov incident given the timing.

It wouldn't surprise me, he has had a series of on and off ice issues over his whole career.

From what I've read in the Denver Post out here, he'd been out drinking for 12 hours prior to the alleged assault. And it was a lower degree of misdemeanor kidnapping (telling someone they're not free to leave or possibly breaking the phone).

Roy's coaching is really taking hold...

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/23/sports/nhl-roy-is-charged-with-domestic-violence.html

From http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9908167/semyon-varlamov-colorado-avalanche-accused-kicking-girlfriend

"The girlfriend, Evgeniya Vavrinyuk, told investigators that Varlamov kicked her in the chest, knocking her down, and stomped on her chest as she lay on the ground in her apartment on Monday, according to an arrest affidavit. She also accused Varlamov of dragging her by her hair and telling her that he would have beaten her more if they had been in Russia."

Protection? Downie is hardly intimidating.

yeah but downie would always caveman over into shoving matches or do dirty work, like real dirty play. he kept the focus on him.

To further fuel the fire, Courier Post's (South Jersey paper) Dave Isaac said tonight, "I don't get Steve Downie. He said "Someone had to go. Maybe with my contract situation, they thought it was me." But the Avs have $12M+ in cap space, and $29.8M next year. Maybe I'm missing something or somehow heard him wrong, but it was a recurring theme."

Hmmm.

To further fuel the fire, Courier Post's (South Jersey paper) Dave Isaac said tonight, "I don't get Steve Downie. He said "Someone had to go. Maybe with my contract situation, they thought it was me." But the Avs have $12M+ in cap space, and $29.8M next year. Maybe I'm missing something or somehow heard him wrong, but it was a recurring theme."

Hmmm.

They have a bit of a logjam for the top six forward positions.

From what I've read in the Denver Post out here, he'd been out drinking for 12 hours prior to the alleged assault. And it was a lower degree of misdemeanor kidnapping (telling someone they're not free to leave or possibly breaking the phone).

Roy's coaching is really taking hold...

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/23/sports/nhl-roy-is-charged-with-domestic-violence.html

I can't defend Varlamov at all and never will unless this incident turns out to be a massive fraud, but you paint Roy with a broad brush. The very report you link to suggests that Roy never even harmed Michele in the incident that led to her 911 hang up call. And, the fact that he never even touched her in the incident is confirmed by Denver Post reporting at the same time. What he did do was knock down a door that was partially hung during an in process remodel. That's it. And, most importantly, the charges were dropped. Even though he went on to win the Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe that year, Roy describes it as a year he regrets. It takes a serious lack of class and some massive dissembling to tar Roy with such a bogus brush. It's the classic "when did you stop beating your wife" denigration by suggestion. Let's aim the barbs where they belong: at Varlamov.

If you had a dollar for every woman who refused to press charges against her husband in domestic cases then you'd have a lot of dollars.

I agree, but in this case, Michele not only refused to press charges, but she also remains his wife. Further, the court filings indicate that Patrick didn't even touch her in the incident. Not to mention that local authorities didn't pursue any further action. You have a long way to go if you want to convince any neutral arbiter that Roy is an abuser, much less the kind of monster Varlamov appears to be.

I will never cut an abuser slack. They are the worst kind of cowards and ought to be pursued and punished relentlessly. But, there isn't any evidence that Roy is an abuser. This is just being used as an excuse to criticize someone unjustly and largely irrelevantly. Again, let's turn the spotlight on Varlamov, who actually seems to be the worst kind of repeat abuser.