Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCOMPL

White Tape vs Black Tape

I use white on my goalie stick. I like to be able to see the puck marks and know I'm directing shots properly off the heel.

I do use team colors on my grip areas, because you can never be too matchy matchy.

A quick stat to add to this conversation - 9 out of the top 12 goal scorers in the NHL this season use white tape on their blade.

I would like to see other years before white became too popular.plus most of those guys mark it with a puck so that's technically black and white ;)

- Sakic, Yzerman, Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Hull, Crosby, Datsyuk, Tavares, Iginla use/used black.

- Stamkos, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, Toews, Kane, Nash, Duchene use white.

Conclusion from my small sample size: If you have a good shot, you will score, regardless of if your tape is white, black, purple, multicolor, or sublimated with a picture of Gary Bettman's face on it.

I use white on the handle with a wrap or two of vet wrap, growing up I was told colored tape eats palms. I used to put black tape on the blade until I started using white sticks, now all I use is white tape.

from my use of tape the black tape it leaves the black on the palm of my gloves but the wear is no different than that of the white tape.

That was the only reason I used white up top, up until I found a better solution (first tacki-mac, and then stretch tape later on). I honestly only started using the tacki-macs originally so I could have a black grip without dirtying up my gloves.. lol

But now, I just can't go back to tape. It gets so gummy!

That was the only reason I used white up top, up until I found a better solution (first tacki-mac, and then stretch tape later on). I honestly only started using the tacki-macs originally so I could have a black grip without dirtying up my gloves.. lol

But now, I just can't go back to tape. It gets so gummy!

Powder.

knob - white cloth

blade - friction tape...... there is nothing better

No Icing/Bob - Whatever you guys carry for friction is GOOD!..... but it smells like $hit HA HA

These days, I use white cloth tape on my blade and butt end, because its what I use to tape my socks, so I only have to carry one type/color of tape. When I was a kid, I used white cloth up top and friction tape on the blade. I don't remember why friction tape lost favor for me, but I do remember thinking the white tape looked really good when composite blades became all the rage since they were primarily black.

Renfrew makes 2 thicknesses of friction tape. If you have the thinner tape it takes a lot more wraps and depending on the player and stick it can make.it feel blade heavy.

Also, I know most gloves don't come with them. But repalming with black nash/micronash/other palm material. Just a thought

I just use white tape because I like seeing all the puck marks on it after a few games. That way, after a sweet one-timer or tip-in, I can see exactly where the puck connected with the blade.

As for the top hand, I use shin pad tape for the knob and that's it - no wear to the gloves at all.

think of double stick hockey tape more or less. Tacky on both sides.

Pretty much. Though I will say I have some old friction tape from about 4 years ago and the outside is much stickier than a newer roll I recently purchased. But none the less booksh sides have stick.

I've never seen friction tape in a store except for online stores. I've tried it a few times, I haven't seen enough improvement over cloth tape and wax to bother with it.

I found white helped with my stickhandling, especially as I wear a cage.

Probably more of a placebo effect than anything, but I won't go back to black tape now.

When I played ball hockey, I used orange tape on my stick, and the handle to screw with the goalie. Don't know if it ever worked, but I did score a lot :)