Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kr580

Advice on choosing a stick.

I currently play with a 81 flex (75 flex cut 2") Reebok 8K 2-piece with a P34 (Hamrlik) curve. I love the stick but I can't find the shaft, blade or 1-piece stick anymore and I'm not about to spend $250 on the modern Reebok equivalent in the 11K. Now I'm looking for something else.

I've been eying the Warrior Diablo stick and have some questions if someone could weigh in.

First, I was looking at the 75 flex. It's a 63" shaft with the 75 flex rating being at the 60" mark from what I've read here. Any idea on how much flex it would be after cutting down to 55", 5 inches beyond the 75 flex mark? Will it be super stiff or will it not change much since it's low kickpoint? My Reebok cut to the 81 flex mark is about as stiff as I'd want to go. I could even go softer by about 5 points if need be but not more than that.

Second, if the flex would increase too much should I look at a 70 flex intermediate Diablo? That's 60" with the 3" addition so what would the flex at 55" be roughly?. Does anyone know if the shaft dimensions or blade length are any smaller?

Third, as far as curves go, I have liked how my P34 blade is very neutral and mellow but I want a bit of a deeper curve. A closed face is a must but past that I'm not sure I have a big preference to the curve type or depth. Any opinions on if I should go with the Kovy and it's uniform curve or try out the Gionta with a bit of a toe curve?

Thanks in advance.

Everyone has told me that Warrior sticks go a full 5" before stiffening when cutting your twigs. This may be the route for me to go, maybe for you as well. I cut roughly 6" from a senior stick, so i get into the 100-110 range, a place that I can't go because of my strength and skill level. If it were me, I would try an intermediate stick. I went intermediate and am very happy with that.

Blade lengths seem roughly the same with regards to intermediate sticks and senior sticks. Shaft size isn't drastically different than senior. Mind you I have only tried Tour, Combat, Reebok, Montreal and Easton sticks (my two Eastons being intermediate and the rest are senior). My local dealers don't carry Warrior sticks, and the closest Total Hockey is about 35 miles from me.

I like Iginla and Thornton curves. But back in my day, we tweaked our own curves with heat guns and door jambs. I don't know the difference between open and closed curves. I do know the difference between heel and toe curves. Can't help on curves...

But I am no expert on recent stuff.

What is your price range, there are some great mid level $150 sticks from the latest gen of sticks and some really good sticks selling for $150 in last gens closeouts.

With warriors the 5" cut off thing started with the covert line (dt1 dt1st dt1lt ) and the 75 flex sticks of the newest lt line start at the shorter 60" mark and still can take 5" off without the flex feeling like it changed. This is all accourding to the rep on these forums. The dt3lt is very close to the dt1lt except it made of a slightly different fiber and in a different plant overseas.

My budget is as cheap as possible. I'm not good enough to justify a $150+ stick ever. It'd be nice, sure, but I don't have that kinda money for it right now. The Diablos are on sale for ~$100 right now which is why I was looking at them.

I went 2 piece- APX and T1 tapered shafts are on clearance at PureHockey.com- like $75 each down to $67 after you apply coupon code EMAILME. And then just find a curve that you like- I am using Iginla now and like it after 1 use. Kovalcuk and Gionta are options if you can find them; I like the Warrior AXT1 Dynasty paddles but never tried Kovy or Gionta. So, for $100, you can make a top end 2 piece.

My budget is as cheap as possible. I'm not good enough to justify a $150+ stick ever. It'd be nice, sure, but I don't have that kinda money for it right now. The Diablos are on sale for ~$100 right now which is why I was looking at them.

my advice would be to not get too hung up on stick flex. i would suggest you're like most hockey players and you're humble about your skill level. some of the best players i know don't give a crap about the quality of their sticks, and some of the worst players i know have the most expensive ones. if you object to price, it doesn't matter your skill level, its a moral objection. regardless if you're looking to improve your skills or if you're happy with where your game is, when switching sticks i would suggest paying the most attention to the curve pattern and the lie. unless you're ripping wrist shots at 80-90 km/hr, the flex probably isn't your biggest concern.

I went 2 piece- APX and T1 tapered shafts are on clearance at PureHockey.com- like $75 each down to $67 after you apply coupon code EMAILME. And then just find a curve that you like- I am using Iginla now and like it after 1 use. Kovalcuk and Gionta are options if you can find them; I like the Warrior AXT1 Dynasty paddles but never tried Kovy or Gionta. So, for $100, you can make a top end 2 piece.

I'll look into that. I don't like the TotalOne shaft shape but I'll definitely look into the APX. Thanks for the heads up on those prices and code. Edit: The APX shafts are only in 100+ flexes. Bummer.

my advice would be to not get too hung up on stick flex. i would suggest you're like most hockey players and you're humble about your skill level. some of the best players i know don't give a crap about the quality of their sticks, and some of the worst players i know have the most expensive ones. if you object to price, it doesn't matter your skill level, its a moral objection. regardless if you're looking to improve your skills or if you're happy with where your game is, when switching sticks i would suggest paying the most attention to the curve pattern and the lie. unless you're ripping wrist shots at 80-90 km/hr, the flex probably isn't your biggest concern.

I get what you mean but why not add flex into the pattern and lie? It actually is a very important part of it. I am decent enough to actually make use of a proper flex so I'd like to get the flex I can use. I've used all sorts of flexes and I can totally tell the difference between a bad (for me) flex and a good flex. I'd rather not waste money on something that won't work for me. Unfortunately I can't try it out first or return it if I don't like it so I'm asking opinions here. If I cut it down to my preferred length and end up with a stick I can't flex I've just wasted a very precious $100.

Try the 8 or 9k 75 flex on closeout. 58" shaft still, I think.

8K's in my flex and pattern don't seem to exist anymore. I've searched high and low. As for the 9K, I'm not finding anything that matches what I need.