Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moteef17

Stamkos Injury

Just happened to turn on Bruins / Lightning matinee game today, and saw Stamkos go hard into the goal post. I couldn't quite tell from the replay (they seemed to stop showing it after a few go-rounds), but it looked like he might have hit just at the bottom of his shin pad / skate tongue, and his foot seemed a little 'floppy' as he slid away. He tried to get up and skate off, but there was no way.....he went out on a stretcher.

I imagine there will be an update later today......

Tough to see as he's arguably the best player in hockey right now and the most fun to watch. I was really looking forward to seeing him on the left side with Crosby at the olympics as well. Here's to a speedy recovery and hopes he can come back at the level he was playing at leading up to the injury.

Here's some good video and commentary. Boston fans and announcers handled it really well. Horrible to see. Team is playing well, Olympics coming up. Really a shame. That it happened because he was backchecking hard makes it all the sadder.

I agree with the comment above: he's among the most exciting player to watch right now and, more than anything, I hope he comes back with all of his ability and drive and is playing at the level he has been. I recently read a comparison of him to Selanne: a thrill to watch, classy, well spoken, beloved by fans, teammates, and oppenents alike, and doing it all in an expansion market. It's hard to disagree with that. One heck of an asset to the game all around.

The link: http://nhl.si.com/2013/11/11/steven-stamkos-stretchered-off-ice-after-colliding-with-goal-post/

Edited to acknowledge that the link is to the Tampa feed. I must have seen the Boston feed elsewhere earlier. Brickley and Edwards did an admirable job with it.

He won Boston fans over during the 2011 playoffs when he took a puck to the face and came back from the locker room minutes later with a cage on so he could continue to play.

Here's to a speedy recovery. Watching the slow downed over head I wonder what did more damage the actual hit or the weight of two players pushing him against it and the amount the leg got pushed back.

so im assuming out at least 6 weeks? i think that is probably the minimum

Typically 3 months minimum for a broken tibia, per Bob McKenzie.

A tweet I saw that made me laugh

Stamkos is a hockey player, he will be fine

But the lightning are screwed

I gotta say, that kid has a MASSIVE set trying to get up after that. And after the puck in the face... that's one tough kid. Man, I love hockey players. All heart.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!!

Sucks for the game...like many have said Stamkos is a superstar, one of the bonafide players to watch in the league. Don't remember whose broadcast it was where someone was saying how "from July to whenever the Lightning are done their season, Stamkos is nothing but hockey 24/7." He's a great guy to have for the League, and fortunately I saw Nick Kypreos say that the break wasn't a horrible break, and there's still hope he can come back for Sochi. Whether the Lightning let him is another story...

Speedy recovery, Stammer.

Typically 3 months minimum for a broken tibia, per Bob McKenzie.

I gotta say, that kid has a MASSIVE set trying to get up after that. And after the puck in the face... that's one tough kid. Man, I love hockey players. All heart.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!!

Not knowing the details of the break, usually when surgery is required it's about 4 months; can even take up to 6 months on some occasions.

Back when I was a kid my dad broke both his tibia and fibula, and needed surgery; took him about a year to get it back to normal. Exactly one week later, I did the exact same thing and broke both bones needing surgery; took me about nine or ten months to completely heal. I still remember I'd be sprawled out on one couch, and my dad would be on the other, God bless my mother haha.

A couple years ago my youngest broke both bones and took him just under five months to completely heal, no surgery though.

broke both bones a few years ago with surgery and plates. Basically two months to walk/skate, 3 for hockey. The surgery is tougher at the beginning, but provides more success per the timeline.

I really admire this guy, but just hope he doesn't rush his rehab and return. Broken bones take time to fully heal, unlike some other injuries.

I really admire this guy, but just hope he doesn't rush his rehab and return. Broken bones take time to fully heal, unlike some other injuries.

Exactly, the steel rod helps with support but it doesn't actually heal the break.

They are staying afloat and he's one of the best players in the planet, my guess is the drs are being cautious

Cant work on legs, work on hands. maybe this Injury makes him an even better player. i never thought of him as a dangler but my god my eyes are having a hard time following that all.