Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robertjm

Anyone experienced with Donjoy Reaction Knee Brace?

Hi all,

I've been off the ice for a few years, and am now itching to get back into it. Basically, I'm in whatever the bottom level "beer league" I can find in the SF Bay Area.

One of my problems I have is that last December I hyper extended both knees while trying to run for a bus. The right knee is pretty much OK now. However, my left one gets a bit on the painful side when walking long distances, or if I use older shoes. I have particular problems on the outside of my left knee.

Because of this, I've decided to get a knee brace for playing. Because of the size of my legs, I'll probably be going with Donjoy because their XXXL is the only size that looks like it will fit. Additionally, I can't afford anything overly expensive.

Right now I'm looking at the Donjoy Reaction model. This is actually the one used by the US Ski Team, so I know it can take a whole bunch of stress, though it doesn't appear to have the side support of any of their beefier models. I was wondering if anyone has tried using it for ice hockey? If so, how'd it do for you?

http://www.djoglobal.com/products/donjoy/reaction-web-knee-brace

Besides that model, I'm also considering the Playmaker II

http://www.djoglobal.com/products/donjoy/donjoy-playmaker-ii

and Tru-Pull Advanced.

http://www.djoglobal.com/products/donjoy/tru-pull-advanced-system

Any advice and/or comments on using these will be greatly appreciated!!

Robert

I've been using the older model of the Tru-Pull sine I dislocated my patella 7-8 years ago, still has held up after all those years for the most part. Also isn't too bulky so it fits underneath my shin pads well.

Has a doctor/physical therapist or other medical professional recommended anything? I'd start there if you have not talked to anyone yet.

I have Donjoy Defiance braces for both knees. Super expensive but my insurance covered most of it since my ortho and PT "required" me to have them for contact sports. I don't actually use them that much anymore, but they were awesome when I was coming back from injury.

Find a sports orthopedist, they'll recommend a specific brace to address your specific issue. If possible, stay away from a "regular" ortho as many times they will treat you the same as their elderly patients (ie rest rest rest). Btw, I in no way mean to infer that some orthopedic docs do a bad job; its just that ime a sports orthopedic doc will be more aggressive in getting you out on the ice/field/court etc.

I wear the reaction. I had surgery two years ago to repair patella subluxation. It fits underneath your shins with no problems. Mine was prescribed by my surgeon. It is a little uncomfortable at first. Especially since I was used to hinged braces. They are fairly cheap. When I got mine I was told they just resolved an issue with it tearing at the joints.

Consult a sports othorpedic physcian before pulling the trigger. Make sure you actually need a brace and get the proper one for your needs. Plus, maybe you can get some sort of break on the cost if the doc perscribes it.