Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Durbin6

Which Skates?

Hi,

I weigh just over 16st (235lbs) and I am in need of a new set of skates. I have been told because of my weight, I would destroy most skates in a matter of months.

I also have a high arch and a wide foot if that makes a difference.

What skates do you suggest I consider?

I weigh in at right around your level now but up until a couple years ago was up around 305lbs. My experience has been that as long as the skate truly fits properly that you don't need to jump to the top of the line skate and you are in fact likely to restrict your growth as a skater if you do so and aren't ready for it. I would recomend that you work with a good skate fitter and find which last lits you best depending on how wide and deep look at the lines boo recomended and maybe add in the Nexus or RBK lines if you still need more volume. Once you figure out what line fits best I would focus on the Skates somewhere in the normal $250 -$400 range (Supreme One.7, Nexus 800, RBZ 90, RBK 16K). Another option if you can find them and try them on is the EQ40 on clearance. Really the best advice I would have is look to upper mid level skates and work with someone to get the skate that best fits. A good fit will keep boot slop from leading to premature breakdown, and that is where carrying our level of weight can really take its toll on a boot.

Another option if you can find them and try them on is the EQ40 on clearance.

Looks like the Stealth line just went on clearance as well. Do you know if the Stealth will work for a high volume heel instep? I am looking at the 85S specifically.

(Nevermind just saw a thread on the Stealth skates.)

Reebok makes a wide boot but the volume is average to low imho so be careful with that. Mine also only lasted a year (im 250lbs) and at the 6 month mark they lost most of that initial sparkle they had. I also had one of their higher end models.

My older U+10's have been pretty good for my wide, high arched feet and do not have excessive wear. For my feet, I think I might need a bit more volume over the arch to be perfect.